Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Many conservative are itching to live somewhere where their racism is allowed. This is France we're talking about and they have certain laws restricting racism...

And for permission to say and do what they want. No matter how cruel, mean spirited, classless and disgusting.

Many people who are bigots want the green light to be rude, racist and obnoxious. And to find a place that not only tolerates, but celebrates that behavior.

I thought that being kind, and not hurting people's feelings were good old fashioned values and indicative of a well bread and kind individual. I still do.

Aside from other countries such as France, within our own country their appear to be certain regions and states here that tolerate racism more that others do.

While we have no laws here, about freedom of speech, we do have laws about discrimination.
These laws seems to be enforced more in certain areas.

We need to examine the point at which "freedom of speech" impinges upon the liberty of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And for permission to say and do what they want. No matter how cruel, mean spirited, classless and disgusting.

Many people who are bigots want the green light to be rude, racist and obnoxious. And to find a place that not only tolerates, but celebrates that behavior.

I thought that being kind, and not hurting people's feelings were good old fashioned values and indicative of a well bread and kind individual. I still do.

Aside from other countries such as France, within our own country their appear to be certain regions and states here that tolerate racism more that others do.

While we have no laws here, about freedom of speech, we do have laws about discrimination.

We need to examine the point at which "freedom of speech" impinges upon the liberty of others.
The face of racism is changing with American demographics.

I've read several studies that the worst racists in the US are old white people.

Agree with me so far?

What you might find disturbing though is when you get to younger people and then the color of racism starts to go non-white.

Mortality is solving the first problem.

What's going to solve the other?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
I don't have a sacred cow and a lot of people here are willing to talk about anything which is no problem. The problem a lot of those same people pontificate as if it's fact when in reality they have no clue what they're talking about.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I've read several studies that the worst racists in the US are old white people.

Agree with me so far?
Probably more would say that about young Blacks. They are the first to accuse others of discrimination against then, when there was no intent. That in itself is an act of racism.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:42 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Probably more would say that about young Blacks. They are the first to accuse others of discrimination against then, when there was no intent. That in itself is an act of racism.
Take off those Black and White glasses and put on your prescribed glasses. You meant them*

Old 03-29-2015, 02:46 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Agreed. Unfortunately people refer to us as *******s, or accuse us of being too PC.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:48 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The face of racism is changing with American demographics.

Agree with me so far?

What you might find disturbing though is when you get to younger people and then the color of racism starts to go non-white.

Mortality is solving the first problem.

What's going to solve the other?

OK. I did agree completely with you in the first part of your post. If by older, you mean all baby boomers and some Gen Y, I agree.

As far as younger people, I agree with about 1/4 th of what you said.

There are more non white young people who are not as easy going about whites as were there predecessors. They are vigilant and sensitive to slights and injustices.

But, how can you blame them? After all of these years, black people have endured white presidents and some pretty nasty ones, in terms of race.

We have our first black president and he's been treated like junk by 3/4s of the non Democratic white electorate. No president has been treated this way. None.

I agree that morality is at the heart of the problem.

However, people, individuals and groups of people, get tired of being marginalized and abused.

I think, and I am WHITE, that the first move has to come from the dominant race. That would be my race.

Whites need to stop saying that racism does not exist in the US. We all know it does.
That might be a first start.

PS. I have you one rep point because I pretty much agreed with you.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
but what if it is not a truth or established as fact? what about unpopular opinion or conspiracy theories that offend others?
Huh?? Anything not established as fact is simple speculation. Why can't you speculate?

Unpopular opinion is just that. Opinion. Same with theories.

Listen, being a racist isn't illegal. Being ignorant or nonsensical isn't illegal also. Just be prepared for opposing views. Everyone gets to have say. That's why we have freedom of speech.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:40 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
What topics, if any, should be off limits and worthy of outrage?

Sweet Injustice: French Bakery Ordered To Remove 'Racist' Cakes - Breitbart
Seems as though the church of the Perpetually Offended has worldwide membership.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Eff it! Shouldnt every single thing be off limits?

(those cakes really do look in bad taste though)
:

Sure, we should just start cutting out tongues and cutting off hands lest someone inadvertently say or do something that might cause someone to take offense....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events