Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Yes I agree, murder is completely normal behavior in comparison! If someone tees you off and you stab him 40 times, that isn't necessarily completely unforgivable, right? XD
I was speaking in generalities, referring to certain murders, not every single one. And who hasn't contemplated violence? What could drive you to act on those thoughts? Everyone has a trigger. When my ex's kid was kidnapped by his abusive mother, trust me, I was walking a fine line. If I'd found her before the FBI did, I honestly can't say what I would have done. Especially if I'd known how damaged the kid was after that experience.

But I really don't think everyone has a trigger that would lead them to sodomize a 3-year-old. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
I'd like to see a quote for that 1% figure. Most studies I've seen suggest that anywhere from 2% to 40% of sex offenders eventually reoffend.
well your wrong, that quote comes from law enforcement..my son is a cop....
the disease is extremely difficult to rehabilitate....worse then an alcoholic...
and you know what, doesn't matter, b/c it isn't your child, therefore you will never see any other point of view but your own...
There was a movie on about this, years about, well, something similar, about a district attorney, who believed women led men on and were not raped....well, ends up he was raped, and boy did he change his mind quickly....
you have no idea, unless you've been thru it, or have a child that was raped.

And, quite frankly I don't know how you can be so for the criminal? Doesn't make sense that any human being would think like you.
you making a joke out of this to some of the posters, and sorry, but your mindset on this subject is wrong.

Just saying

Old 04-10-2015, 12:38 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Yes I agree, murder is completely normal behavior in comparison! If someone tees you off and you stab him 40 times, that isn't necessarily completely unforgivable, right? XD
Now you are just trolling. The fact that you are doing it about a pedophile speaks volumes about you. Btw, aren't you the one whining about your mommy not giving you enough attention as you got older? If and when you have some children you may change your tune.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well your wrong, that quote comes from law enforcement..my son is a cop....
the disease is extremely difficult to rehabilitate....worse then an alcoholic...
and you know what, doesn't matter, b/c it isn't your child, therefore you will never see any other point of view but your own...
There was a movie on about this, years about, well, something similar, about a district attorney, who believed women led men on and were not raped....well, ends up he was raped, and boy did he change his mind quickly....
you have no idea, unless you've been thru it, or have a child that was raped.

And, quite frankly I don't know how you can be so for the criminal? Doesn't make sense that any human being would think like you.
you making a joke out of this to some of the posters, and sorry, but your mindset on this subject is wrong.

Just saying
Normally I'm fairly liberal with those accused/convicted of sex offenses, I'm sure some on here would say wayyy to liberal.
With that being said even I have my limits and this particular perp hit/passed it. 3 years old and sodomy?
I think the original sentence was the correct one and this judge needs to have his meds checked...

Old 04-10-2015, 01:05 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
This is why I do not have children. I would have shot him myself and saved us taxpayers money and future victims.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:39 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I was speaking in generalities, referring to certain murders, not every single one. And who hasn't contemplated violence? What could drive you to act on those thoughts? Everyone has a trigger. When my ex's kid was kidnapped by his abusive mother, trust me, I was walking a fine line. If I'd found her before the FBI did, I honestly can't say what I would have done. Especially if I'd known how damaged the kid was after that experience.

But I really don't think everyone has a trigger that would lead them to sodomize a 3-year-old. Do you?
Well, I don't think most people have a trigger to eat their own vomit either, but it doesn't mean it's a crime that makes murder look good in comparison. People who rape are mentally ill and were often (not always, but it's a common theme) raped themselves. I just don't agree with the self-righteous sadism, for any kind of crime. It's hypocritical to be so hateful and think of yourself as a moral person.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 04-10-2015 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Well, I don't think most people have a trigger to eat their own vomit either, but it doesn't mean it's a crime that makes murder look good in comparison. People who rape are mentally ill and were often (not always, but it's a common theme) raped themselves. I just don't agree with the self-righteous sadism, for any kind of crime. It's hypocritical to be so hateful and think of yourself as a moral person.
What a load of horse excrement. Show me a study that says mists rapists are mentally ill.

Keep in mind that sociopathy, and narcissism are not mental illnesses . They can't really be treated. Just like pedophiles.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:34 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense at all. If you want to eat your own vomit, go right ahead. Know why? It doesn't affect anyone but you (and any unfortunate onlookers).

14% of sexual abusers are themselves victims.

And this article puts the amount of mentally ill sex offenders at 24 percent, vs. a 5 percent rate of mental illness for the general population. A significant increase, but not enough to support your apparent assertion that all rapists are mentally ill.

And there was nothing hateful about what I posted. I merely said I'd trust some murderers more than I'd trust your garden-variety sex offender. I didn't advocate castration, or being torn apart by dogs, or the death penalty for sex offenders - things I've seen on almost every comments thread on pedophilia. I just think that once you rape a toddler you shouldn't be walking among the general public. Shocking, I know.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Keep in mind that sociopathy, and narcissism are not mental illnesses . They can't really be treated. Just like pedophiles.
So are you suggesting we just kill every sociopath and narcissist, even if they haven't committed a crime? I would hate to live in such a smug world.

Going back to the topic, I would be happy with either 10 years or the original sentence for the guy who raped the 3 year old. I trust the judgment of the jury, but 10 years in a US prison is a pretty damn big punishment too. I do think the very worst offenders should get life though. Like that guy from Lostprophets, Ian Watkins, he isn't remorseful at all and he gloated about what he did so IMO he cannot be reformed. He also abused MANY people. So I do agree with the sentiment of punishment in extreme cases, but people are so overzealous and angry in general it just bothers me.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:

And there was nothing hateful about what I posted. I merely said I'd trust some murderers more than I'd trust your garden-variety sex offender. I didn't advocate castration, or being torn apart by dogs, or the death penalty for sex offenders - things I've seen on almost every comments thread on pedophilia. I just think that once you rape a toddler you shouldn't be walking among the general public. Shocking, I know.
I think it's a case by case scenario. We don't know this guy's history. I mean what if he's mentally retarded or something? We can't base punishment on how much a crime disgusts us. I think the Greyhound bus beheader's crime was absolutely sickening but the guy was a schizophrenic and the chance he'd do the same thing again is pretty small. I disagree with how quickly they released him though, he needed YEARS of treatment and confinement.

Quote:

And this article puts the amount of mentally ill sex offenders at 24 percent, vs. a 5 percent rate of mental illness for the general population. A significant increase, but not enough to support your apparent assertion that all rapists are mentally ill.
Sociopathy and narcissism are mental illnesses. And if you've ever watched To Catch a Predator you'd probably come to the conclusion many of these people are borderline retarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events