Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
That's what people in Saudi Arabia, China, Iran, Texas and Singapore believe. So you're basically saying anyone who commits any kind of crime, should be shot on sight? I am VERY sorry you were molested and I have a lot of sympathy for you, but it's sad it has turned you into such a bitter and unforgiving person. I'm not saying you should forgive your abuser, I think you should do whatever makes you happiest, but I mean the vengeful attitude in general.

I was abused a lot as a child. By my own family and my peers. I can't remember if I was ever sexually abused as a child, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was and just don't remember. I know I don't like when people touch me and I'm afraid of doctors, but that could just be my autism. I know I was verbally and physically abused for being autistic but people see that as "nothing" compared to sexual abuse. Even though I cut myself and jumped off bridges as a teenager because I hated myself.

I have been molested as a teenage/adult a couple of times (nothing close to rape though), and while it was humiliating and shameful it wasn't any worse than the beatings I've endured.
You are no different than a sexual abuse victim but, you choose to view it the way that you do. Cremebrulee is entitled to her opinion and feelings. No one is saying that any crime should require shooting on sight. Maybe just pedophiles and crimes against the most vulnerable members of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 01:27 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
So you're saying if he chose to rape an adult woman instead, that would be somewhat more acceptable? I don't think the age of a victim means that the crime matters more. Besides, it's the justice system, not the punishment system. I think the judge and jury know more about the case than any of us do.

I'm sick of people placing children and old people on a pedestal. A 30 year old can be just as helpless and scared against an attacker as a kid or a grandma. It's just ageism.
I didn't say that. I don't understand where you are getting some of these ideas about what people are saying.

The age of the victim does matter. They are the least able to fight back and have even a semblance of a chance of surviving.

I thought you originally had some good points but this post says it all about where you are coming from.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:30 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
So you're saying if he chose to rape an adult woman instead, that would be somewhat more acceptable? I don't think the age of a victim means that the crime matters more. Besides, it's the justice system, not the punishment system. I think the judge and jury know more about the case than any of us do.

I'm sick of people placing children and old people on a pedestal. A 30 year old can be just as helpless and scared against an attacker as a kid or a grandma. It's just ageism
Wow, really??? You seem to have some agenda here and I can guess what it might be. Children and the elderly are far more defenseless than others. To say you say you are sick of this makes no sense. Most people are sick of the child molesters. To you, they get a second chance and heaven forbid they don't get protected in prison or out.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:31 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
You are no different than a sexual abuse victim but, you choose to view it the way that you do. Cremebrulee is entitled to her opinion and feelings. No one is saying that any crime should require shooting on sight. Maybe just pedophiles and crimes against the most vulnerable members of society.
I respect what you're saying as a fellow survivor of child abuse but I disagree. I forgive everyone who has ever hurt me, and I am past it for the most part. Of course it has left an irreparable damage to my mind that will never completely go away, but honestly we live in a hellish world, sometimes bad stuff happens. I was stalked and molested by a bisexual man when I was 23 years old. He didn't rape me, but he did grope me and threatened to rape me. I didn't fight back because I would rather endure being touched inappropriately (as disgusting as it was) than be stabbed with a knife. I hate physical pain and I value my life.

This was only a couple years ago, and to be honest I hardly ever think about it. Like you said, it's different for everybody. Personally I found the beatings worse and I think someone who rapes or molests an adult woman or man is no different or better than a pedophile, they just have a different "preference".

Old 04-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Wow, really??? You seem to have some agenda here and I can guess what it might be. Children and the elderly are far more defenseless than others. To say you say you are sick of this makes no sense. Most people are sick of the child molesters. To you, they get a second chance and heaven forbid they don't get protected in prison or out.
I don't support molesters at all. I think they are scumbags, but I'm not in favor of going Hitler on them either. I don't support the physical elimination of an entire group of people nor do I support letting other violent criminals be judge, jury and executioner. I am a left winger and I strongly believe in human rights and it disgusts me that people are so bloodthirsty in this day and age. People are hypocrites. Criminals should be punished reasonably, meaning not "let off the hook" but also treated humanely. Norway has the right idea.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:37 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
I don't support molesters at all. I think they are scumbags, but I'm not in favor of going Hitler on them either. I don't support physical elimination of an entire group of people nor do I support letting other violent criminals be judge, jury and executioner. I am a left winger and I strongly believe in human rights and it disgusts me that people are so bloodthirsty in this day and age. People are hypocrites. Criminals should be punished reasonably, meaning not "let off the hook" but also treated humanely. Norway has the right idea.
You have to be human to be treated humanely. Pedophiles lose that right in many people's mind when they cross that line and molest a child. Btw, who is going Hitler on them? They are not being gassed. Stop being so dramatic and disgusted. You are being disgusted by the wrong people.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You have to be human to be treated humanely. Pedophiles lose that right in many people's mind when they cross that line and molest a child. Btw, who is going Hitler on them? They are not being gassed. Stop being so dramatic and disgusted. You are being disgusted by the wrong people.
I just don't believe revenge is good policy and the bloodthirstiness of people who perceive themselves as compassionate and caring frightens me. The fascist attitude of our society frightens me. Especially since almost everyone seems to feel that way. I don't even think murderers should be killed. Dehumanizing anyone is dangerous because it sets a precedent.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, from what I understand those in prison don't take too kindly to rapists and pedophiles! I'm sure he'll be treated in kind by some of his fellow inmates for what he did to that toddler!
he better hope he doesn't get this guy as a bunkmate.

Murderer says he killed Saginaw prison cellmate 'because he was a child molester' | MLive.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have resigned myself to the fact that if anyone ever touched my kids like that, I would likely face trial.
That's OK. It is a line I am willing to draw.
you're in texas, so you might be OK.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:

I'm sick of people placing children and old people on a pedestal. A 30 year old can be just as helpless and scared against an attacker as a kid or a grandma. It's just ageism.
Yikes....

Okay, to put things into perspective:
I'm 28, almost 29. My sons are 5 and 3. There is NO REASON why a man of my age, experience, and world knowledge should be as helpless as my sons in ANY situation.
If a pickpocket tries to rob me, I can fend him off. If some pervert tries to molest me, I can fend him off.
I cannot for the life of me imagine a grown man attacking my boys and my boys successfully defending themselves. No, a 30 year old (unless paraplegic, mentally ill, etc.) is in NO WAY as helpless as a kid.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:45 PM

506 posts, read 426,583 times
Quote:

People have an irrational desire to protect children at all costs, if you ever have children you'll understand why it is people place children upon a pedestal.

Most people, including myself, would murder somebody for simply for looking at their child in a strange manner, because they detected a threat, fortunately most of the time people are able to pause long enough before acting to allow their rational side to take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events