Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

Employers cannot and should not ever discriminate. Surely other employees were fired before, and precedents either are followed, or you properly lose when, not if, You are sued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
SC Did Not Handle the case of Ex Officer Slager perfectly .

In this world of liberal political correctness, is it even possible to do anything near perfection? It does not matter how hard people try to do the best thing possible in any situation, there will be a liberal there to find fault.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:23 PM

When did issues of discrimination become either liberal or conservative? IF I were a previously fired SC employee, I'd be calling a lawyer now if I did not get Health Insurance post termination.

You can bet the city lawyers were not happy about this, as they know it is a can of worms issue.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:31 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
So if he's convicted of nothing and innocent, why did he get fired?

He has not been "convicted" in a court of law. Until then he is presumed innocent in this country. That is the process of law. I am sure he will be found guilty, but until then, he has not been convicted.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:34 PM

Convicted has nothing to do with employment benes, he was fired for cause. That has benefit implications.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
SC Did Not Handle the case of Ex Officer Slager perfectly .

In this world of liberal political correctness, is it even possible to do anything near perfection? It does not matter how hard people try to do the best thing possible in any situation, there will be a liberal there to find fault.
When you get fired for cause, not a layoff, your benefits end that day. Nothing to do with liberal or conservative.

Should he qualify for unemployment insurance as well? LOL. To get you up to speed, normally when you get fired due to your screwing up on the job, you don't get UE benefits, you don't get extended health benefits for you and your dependents, you don't get 6 weeks pay.

You get the boot!

When you get laid off through no fault of your own, you get severance, 30 to 90 days insurance coverage, and you're eligible for UE benefits.

Get the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
When did issues of discrimination become either liberal or conservative? IF I were a previously fired SC employee, I'd be calling a lawyer now if I did not get Health Insurance post termination.

You can bet the city lawyers were not happy about this, as they know it is a can of worms issue.
Exactly. Every file clerk who was fired who had to pay for their own root canal or endoscopy is going to get a lawyer and sue.

The taxpayers there must be thrilled.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:11 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If the City wants to continue health care for the family, that is well and good. I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is the next unlucky shlub who gets laid off - only because he just happened to be the extraneous employee that month - 30 days before his wife is due to deliver.

Or the guy who accidentally erases a file and get fired right before his wife is due to deliver.

Will they extend their benefits too? I doubt it.

What I think the OP is saying is, why does this fired employee family deserve any MORE consideration AND FINANCIAL BOON than any others? I don't think he does.

And, yes, the Chief Of Police stated in a news conference that they CHOOSE to carry benefits for his - beyond what is customary or required.
I'd be surprised if they don't have a Union. They are possibly setting a precedence by extending the benefits beyond what is required.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
When you get fired for cause, not a layoff, your benefits end that day. Nothing to do with liberal or conservative.

Should he qualify for unemployment insurance as well? LOL. To get you up to speed, normally when you get fired due to your screwing up on the job, you don't get UE benefits, you don't get extended health benefits for you and your dependents, you don't get 6 weeks pay.

You get the boot!

When you get laid off through no fault of your own, you get severance, 30 to 90 days insurance coverage, and you're eligible for UE benefits.

Get the difference?

Exactly. Every file clerk who was fired who had to pay for their own root canal or endoscopy is going to get a lawyer and sue.

The taxpayers there must be thrilled.

But when you're fired, shouldn't you get to keep your insurance if your wife is pregnant?

What about if you have a lot of kids? Or a disabled child? Or aging parents you care for? Should you be able to keep your insurance even if you've been fired in those cases?

They've done something that is going to lead to a lawsuit and I can't wait to sit back and watch.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
He hasn't been convicted. Let's wait until all the facts come out.
I'm afraid they won't. People seem to think a short video from a cell phone is everything they need to convict.

Listen to Santana, the eyewitness, talk about the struggle on the ground. Scott fought with Slager on the ground. At one point, the eyewitness says Slager had total control of the situation. So the officer chased, tazed and caught up with Scott and probably tried to cuff him. What happened next?

Shooting someone in the back is reprehensible to me. Scott was a human being. But I don't understand all the comments and articles that defend what Scott did because "he was scared" or that "he didn't want to go to jail."

Whatever happened to the motto, "Hands up, don't shoot?"

Old 04-12-2015, 02:37 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
This still wouldn't justify the shooting...but it is interesting.

Quote:
What is potentially a game changer occurs when you review Officer Slager stating he had lost control/custody of the x26 Taser he deployed to restrain a non compliant Scott – and recognize the Taser actually appears to have been used against him.

At least one dart appears lodged in the upper torso, chest, shirt of Officer Slager.

If you review the raw footage (source New York Times) of the witness shooting video you can clearly see the wire from the Taser connected to Officer Slager.

Additionally, if you follow the wire you also recognize the cartridge from the Taser itself is being dragged behind the fleeing Walter Scott.

This is critical because the darts are on one end of the wire, and the cartridge is on the other end – usually cartridge remaining in the trigger assembly. However, the cartridge is obviously dislodged in the struggle.

If the cartridge is dragging behind Scott -somehow tangled with his foot/shoe or leg – and the line is visibly taut (which it is) then the dart end is indeed attached to Officer Slager.
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...ts/#more-99326
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events