Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,048,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I guess the OP thinks the family is also guilty, including the unborn baby.

How nice.

Want to bet the OP is also one of the first to jump up for criminal rights but only those they choose? Betcha.
It doesn't have anything to do with that. The OP is saying that the former-officer's received healthcare benefits as part of his compensation for being an employee of the police department.

The OP feels that since the former-officer was fired for breaking the law/procedure/whatever that he should no longer receive any compensation or benefits that employees receive.

Personally, I do not think that healthcare should be contingent upon gainful employment, and agree with other posters that situations like these are where the affordable care act should (in theory) pick up the slack.

I also agree that it is poor form to unnecessarily and voluntarily punish or endanger an unborn child for a chain of events they have no control over or knowledge of, but this is probably not the case with cutting off benefits.

In all likelihood, the hospital/clinic treating the motor would continue to offer the services, albeit at a much higher price and bill the family later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 06:00 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,158,606 times
This is not a comment on what is right or wrong in society.

This is my feelings as a woman, who wanted to be someone's mother someday:

I would teach my child many things in life that I have learned from personal experience. First and foremost being, your rights only matter in a courtroom at best. On the street, they mean nothing to anyone.

I would say, to heck with your manhood. To heck with any respect you feel you deserve. Most definately to heck with how cool you think you look and are. These are debateable things that at the end of the day mean nothing to me. I didnt carry you for 9 months, and go through the pain, heartache and joys of raising you, just to watch you come home dead to me. If you love me at all, you will do anything you have to in order to come home to me alive.

YOU mean a lot to me, and although it may not make me happy to have to deal with your tickets, or bail you out of jail, I want MY baby to come home to me ALIVE regardless of his pride, or even lack thereof.

My sympathy and condolences to the Scott family. They lost a family member, and I can easily understand the feeling of not understanding exactly why. Losing someone you love is hard to accept regardless of the reasons why - no matter which way the final outcome is determined to be in this particular case.

This is also a sad event for the Slager family. As others in the media have commented - it's a senseless tragedy that has had an almost irrecoverable effect on both families.

It's just sad all around.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 AM

9,636 posts, read 9,936,759 times
I have no empathy for the cop due to this unjustified shooting. But compassion should go out to the families of both the slain man and the police officer. The slain man's family will be justly compensated (although no amount of money can replace a life).

For the officer's family, they are also victims. It's very hard to be the spouse/family of a police officer. You never know when they leave for work that day if they will be coming home. This officer will not be coming home for at least 30 years or more and that is the way it should be. Extended the medical benefits for a few more weeks shows that N. Charleston has compassion and supports the other police officers on duty who follow the law and their families.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:26 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,958,032 times
It's funny the OP assumes stopping the maternity insurance would immediately FORCE the cop into COBRA coverage.

That's not how it works.

So the OP is inviting the TAXPAYERS to pay for the mother and baby's expenses instead of the more affordable group insurance coverage that is likely already paid for at least until the end of the month.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,697,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I'm not sure how punishing the cop's family makes any sense at all. He's been charged with murder, he still gets his day in court though and I'm guessing that nobody in this thread has bothered to read or probably even has access to what the terms of the labor contract which ultimately stipulates how these situations are handled.

I don't have a problem with it. His wife and soon-to-be born child didn't shoot anyone or commit any sort of a crime.

Punishing someone entails not giving them something they are entitled to - something everyone else in their situation gets.

Rewarding someone entails giving them something they are not entitled to - something others in their situation do NOT get.

This isn't about punishing anyone, this is about NOT REWARDING THEM.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's funny the OP assumes stopping the maternity insurance would immediately FORCE the cop into COBRA coverage.

That's not how it works.

So the OP is inviting the TAXPAYERS to pay for the mother and baby's expenses instead of the more affordable group insurance coverage that is likely already paid for at least until the end of the month.

runswithscissors, you're assuming and reading his post incorrectly. All he's doing is suggesting that COBRA is one option people have when they're fired. He never said anything about forcing someone into taking COBRA.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Personally, I do not think that healthcare should be contingent upon gainful employment, and agree with other posters that situations like these are where the affordable care act should (in theory) pick up the slack.

I also agree that it is poor form to unnecessarily and voluntarily punish or endanger an unborn child for a chain of events they have no control over or knowledge of, but this is probably not the case with cutting off benefits.

I'm confused about your notion that the affordable care act should pick up the slack. They don't pick up anything. You pay through the nose for insurance through the marketplace, and for the high premium you don't have to deal with the insurance company saying something is a pre-existing condition and won't be covered.

As for the unborn baby, I feel sorry for that child and his or her mother, but where is all the compassion for the family of the man who was shot in the back eight times? Anyone want to pick up any expenses for his family or do you feel it's okay that his family is "punished" (since that's the word you all keep using).

Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,252,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
So you want to punish the Baby and the Wife too? How about his parents? Are they living? Maybe you can go after them too, after all he was their child, right? Don't forget the Police Department. They hired him. Lets shut it down. Sheesh...
Just an insight to your comment/question: But don't people wrongly do that to the victims friends and family all the time? I hope you speak out against those instances as well. As well as the character assasinations of said victims after they are in fact dead.....Just my .02 cents. But I do not think the wife should be condemned with this tool. If they wanna pay her insurance for a few more months then OK.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
If he was slain for no reason, why did he run?
What reason was he slain FOR? None that is justified as he was unarmed and fleeing. Please do tell....

Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The taxpayers, the same ones who have been paying because we know who wasn't paying don't we?
And how do you figure that? Maybe the mother of the kids is a hardworking single mom who didn't need a handout, kinda like your mom and grandma.....IJS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events