Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's very strange. It was only this month that restaurants were asked not to serve water to guests unless asked. Certainly not last June.

Never paid for a glass of water in CA or any other place.
You sent me a DM and I answered. They definitely asked us. I don't think they were ASKED back then to do it, but they were doing it just the same. And we paid for a glass of water at Robin's Restaurant in Cambria. I don't remember all the restaurants we went to or what happened in any particular one, I only know that they kept explaining that there was a water shortage and asking if we wanted water. We did, because that's what we drink when we go out to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We went to California last June and were surprised when every restaurant we went to, they asked if we wanted water. And a couple of places if we wanted water, we had to pay for it. And one of those places, what we paid for was a very small cup of water. The hotels also suggested not asking for clean towels and sheets every day to conserve water.

We live in the midwest and water with your meal and clean towels and sheets in hotels are just a given. I wonder if Californians are surprised when they travel elsewhere and see there are no restrictions on water?

Not that it's a bad thing to conserve water even if you aren't at a crisis point in your particular area. I guess I just didn't realize how bad it was in California until I went there.
Been here for a decade and still have never paid for water. And getting a free glass of water in the Midwest is certainly not something to brag about. Whoop Dee Doo. Unfortunately, you still live in the Midwest

Old 04-14-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Been here for a decade and still have never paid for water. And getting a free glass of water in the Midwest is certainly not something to brag about. Whoop Dee Doo. Unfortunately, you still live in the Midwest
Um, I don't think I was bragging about it. I was just surprised at the difference. As I said, I paid for a glass of water at Robin's Restaurant in Cambria. I definitely remember that.

I live in the midwest by choice, although I did enjoy California!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,092 times
Quote:
Um, I don't think I was bragging about it. I was just surprised at the difference. As I said, I paid for a glass of water at Robin's Restaurant in Cambria. I definitely remember that.

I live in the midwest by choice, although I did enjoy California!

Cambria!! For those that dont know, this is some place located between LA and San Fran...essentially in the middle of nowhere. So yeah, I guess they do need to charge for water. Thats probably not gonna happen on the SUnset Strip.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Cambria!! For those that dont know, this is some place located between LA and San Fran...essentially in the middle of nowhere. So yeah, I guess they do need to charge for water. Thats probably not gonna happen on the SUnset Strip.
Here's an article from February 2014 about some restaurants not serving water unless you ask. This is definitely what we encountered, and we traveled from San Francisco to San Diego and were in every little and big town (including LA) along the way. We stayed in Cambria one night because we went to the Hearst Castle.

California Is So Dry, Some Diners Won't Get Water Unless They Ask : The Salt : NPR

And we stayed in Calabasas and were encouraged not to ask for new sheets/towels every day. Calabasas doesn't need to charge for water, do they? And yet they were trying to conserve water just like everywhere else we went.

Last edited by luzianne; 04-14-2015 at 12:39 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
It's not easy trying to conserve water.

I used to give my dog a bath in the tub and when he was finished I would take mine in the same water.
Normally I would take mine first but he refused to take his in my dirty water.
lol

Old 04-14-2015, 12:49 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
We live in the midwest and water with your meal and clean towels and sheets in hotels are just a given. I wonder if Californians are surprised when they travel elsewhere and see there are no restrictions on water?
I live in FL and while most places will give you free water I have seen hotels suggesting to reuse your sheets/towels to save water.

I don't have a problem with that. I bring my own towel anyway but I don't think the sheets and towels need to be changed everyday if the guest is the same.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:02 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
I recently moved to CA . . . from Australia where droughts are a regular and expected part of the weather. Droughts are no surprise here either but everyone here seems to have their head in the sand when it comes to development and infrastructure.

I lived in Brisbane - the capital of the state of Queensland. They had a devastating drought they just came out of a few years ago. And they were in a similar boat when it started - the population growth was quickly outpacing their water infrastructure so a few years into the drought:

They connected the water grids of Brisbane, the Gold Coast, and the Sunshine Coast.
They built a new dam/impoundment for water storage when the rains do come.
They stopped selling potable water to industry and started sending them the treated wastewater instead (no one is drinking it so why would it need to be potable?).
They built a desal plant at the Gold Coast. It's rarely used but good to have in a drought.
They got tough on lawn watering, car washing, and raised the rates on the most wasteful household users. Average personal use during the drought got down to 39 gallons per day.
They required that all new construction have a rainwater storage system on site and use that water for toilets, garden hoses, and pools and they offered subsidies to homeowners who wanted to add one to their existing home.

The Hetch Hetchy aqueduct delivers around 278 million gallons a day to San Francisco and the Peninsula. That covers less than half of the Bay Area population. More than half of that water goes down drains and toilets, gets treated, and sent into the Bay or straight to the Pacific. That's enough water to deliver the equivalent of 4 inches of rain a month to 411 square miles of cropland. Why wouldn't you send that water back to the Central Valley for irrigation?

Why would you not aggressively subsidize low flow shower heads and toilets? It's cheaper than a new desal plant.
The drought here around the Bay isn't nearly as bad as it is elsewhere in the state but all of the water that falls here runs off of rooftops and into the Bay. Why would you not mandate rainwater storage systems for new houses and buildings and aggressively subsidize them for older houses and buildings?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Last summer California was not the only place with a drought. I am paying allot for steaks these days because of a doubt in the cattle states. We, here had an extremely warm Fall season as well.
Beef prices are high because, for several years, corn prices were too high to make the raising of beef cattle profitable. Better just to sell the corn instead of feeding it to cattle. And it takes several years to build up the cattle population; do you keep all your heifers for breeding, thereby losing the money you would make by fattening and selling them? Or just keep some of them, building your herds more slowly? A tough call for cattle raisers, and the reason why the beef cycle lasts so long. The pork cycle is shorter, and so pork is reasonably priced by comparison. And there really isn't a poultry cycle.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I live in FL and while most places will give you free water I have seen hotels suggesting to reuse your sheets/towels to save water.

I don't have a problem with that. I bring my own towel anyway but I don't think the sheets and towels need to be changed everyday if the guest is the same.
I don't have a problem with it, either. It was just different than we were used to and took us by surprise at first because we didn't realize things were that bad in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events