Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 12:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Good for you. I was not, nor have I been a "helicopter parent." I just don't believe a 6 year old with a 10 year old should be out of eye sight of parents. These children were about a mile away in Maryland. Sorry, but that state is not the safest, as with Maine or Idaho!
Uh huh! Well, let's just hope the parents aren't myopic (nearsighted) or those children will be on very short leashes indeed. Guess you're a proponent of home schooling as well since you believe the children shouldn't be our of sight of the ever vigilant parents. What happens when it's time for college, a local community college with Mommy or Daddy driving them to and from each day?

At what age are the children allowed to be children, ride their bikes further than down the block, run, play, explore the woods, have adventures without constant supervision by the parents?

PS. Within eyesight is hovering; a trait usually attributed to helicopters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
It's pretty sad if kid's can't just go out and play,Or walk down the road to a park. I say its up to the parents and see nothing wrong.Maybe your into the whole nanny state thinking.
This thread has been bombarded with that kind of foolishness. They can be kids. Many parents let their children do all kinds of things. To play in a public area alone at their age is the issue.

I'm not sure why many posters (including you) believe the kids can't have activities and go out. Why can't the parents accompany them? What's wrong with a parent in the park (or wherever) their kids are? If you say that having the parents there to accompany them makes them less independent, you'd have to back that up with scientific data. I see parents in the parks with their children all over the US.

This is not Japan. Japan actually has a rearing structure much like this free range during the separation and individuation process. That's a cultural thing and it works fine for them in that country. Country is far less violent than the US.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
i think the reality is there are many things in the world/things we do everyday that if you look at numbers, they aren't very "comforting". People drive cars/don't think much of it but have you ever seen the stats on the odds of each of us getting in a serious accident? Ever stop to think of all the drunks/impaired/sleepy drivers in the other lane coming towards you at 55mph 6 ft away? What about the favorable odds of each of us getting a heart attack that is mostly caused by our diet/lifestyle choices that many don't seem concerned about? Yet some humans take stats that show certain events that are long shots/rarely happen and make that as their primary concern and react irrationality as it's the norm.

So i ask....given you are so concerned about something that happens rarely in our society, and stats show it's being even less common than years past, i trust you don't drive a car, are a strict vegan for your health, never use a ladder, etc.?
#fail I won't dignify you with a comment.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
I was a free-range child of the early 60s in mid-town Los Angeles. I remember walking home from Sunday school with my two little sisters. I guess I was around 8 and they were 4. One day a man in a car pulled up to the curb next to me and asked where Wilshire Blvd. was. I started to tell him and then noticed his penis was sticking out of his pants and he was masturbating. I yelled "YOU ARE A BAD MAN" and held up my bible to him, then I grabbed my sister's hands and we ran the rest of the way home.

There were pedophiles then, too.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Uh huh! Well, let's just hope the parents aren't myopic (nearsighted) or those children will be on very short leashes indeed. Guess you're a proponent of home schooling as well since you believe the children shouldn't be our of sight of the ever vigilant parents. What happens when it's time for college, a local community college with Mommy or Daddy driving them to and from each day?

At what age are the children allowed to be children, ride their bikes further than down the block, run, play, explore the woods, have adventures without constant supervision by the parents?

PS. Within eyesight is hovering; a trait usually attributed to helicopters.
You're going to come in here and make assumptions about me because I believe children should be accompanied by their parents when they play at six and ten years of age?

Really? Is it that serious for you, that you need to approach me that way?

BTW, all soccer moms drive those SUV's and station wagons when they are carting the kids around.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:04 PM

635 posts, read 783,964 times
Default Yep

We had the same experience.We just told an adult right away and the man was arrested.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
This thread has been bombarded with that kind of foolishness. They can be kids. Many parents let their children do all kinds of things. To play in a public area alone at their age is the issue.

I'm not sure why many posters (including you) believe the kids can't have activities and go out. Why can't the parents accompany them? What's wrong with a parent in the park (or wherever) their kids are? If you say that having the parents there to accompany them makes them less independent, you'd have to back that up with scientific data. I see parents in the parks with their children all over the US.

This is not Japan. Japan actually has a rearing structure much like this free range during the separation and individuation process. That's a cultural thing and it works fine for them in that country. Country is far less violent than the US.
I see kids all the time riding bikes around town without parents with them...why are bikes okay to be out of sight of the house on, but not kids on foot?

Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
I'm sure glad I grew up when I did. I would hate to think of my mother being harassed, or arrested for allowing me to leave the house when the sun was up, and come home when the streetlights came on. Or the parents of all the kids I used to run around with.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM

635 posts, read 783,964 times
Default helicopter parents

Quote:

Well,I'm glad that for the most part my folks let me play as i wanted. I guess people can't have common sense about letting kids walk down a street. I do watch my younger child,But there's a point where kids can play with friends and walk down the street. Our country has very different thinking about things like personal freedom.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I see kids all the time riding bikes around town without parents with them...why are bikes okay to be out of sight of the house on, but not kids on foot?
How old are they? Why do you assume bikes are ok to be out of sight? Much of this depends on the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events