Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 01:32 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
I grew up in a rural community

Maryland is not rural.
There certainly are parts of Maryland that are very rural.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:34 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Quote:
If you say so. I don't have to deal with this, but I disagree. I really do. I'm not alone in this either, thank goodness.
With all the cameras outside of almost every building, cell phones allowing to report crimes faster and even record video, Amber alerts you really feel it isn't a safer time? Nothing is going to stop someone who really wants to abduct a child, but there are certainly a lot more deterrents today than there were back even 20 years ago.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:37 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,423 times
Parents are such scared little twerps these days. When my brother and I were kids we roamed the neighborhood on our own all the time and no one freaked out. Making your kids fear the world and afraid of being away from their parents makes them timid and weak. Why do you think so many young people are so socially awkward and weird these days?

Old 04-15-2015, 01:43 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
There certainly are parts of Maryland that are very rural.
OK, but not where this story takes place......

Old 04-15-2015, 01:46 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
...and many of the pedophiles of the 70s weren't yet born during the 50s. Odd logic there.

And again, the reported child abduction rate wasn't as high as it is now *because* there was less media coverage then. The real rate is likely comparable.
I would venture that the historical rate was likely higher since people who could not have children were more likely to be able to kidnap a child and raise it as their own without being detected.

I have a friend who discovered in adulthood that his "parents" had kidnapped him as an infant and raised him as their own without anyone knowing the true circumstances. He did not discover the truth until he was in his 30s. This act of kidnapping occurred as recently as the 60s. Imagine how easy it was before the advent of social security and fingerprinting. People could move to another city or state and reinvent their past with little fear of discovery.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
With all the cameras outside of almost every building, cell phones allowing to report crimes faster and even record video, Amber alerts you really feel it isn't a safer time? Nothing is going to stop someone who really wants to abduct a child, but there are certainly a lot more deterrents today than there were back even 20 years ago.
Who wants to have to do an "Amber Alert?" Video cameras around doesn't stop crime. I live in an area of the country where it just helps the cops find the perps. Deters nothing!

I just think that if they were a little older I wouldn't be concerned. A ten year old should not be given responsibility over a six year old. If the same scenario occurred with a twelve or thirteen year old with a six year old.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Parents are such scared little twerps these days. When my brother and I were kids we roamed the neighborhood on our own all the time and no one freaked out. Making your kids fear the world and afraid of being away from their parents makes them timid and weak. Why do you think so many young people are so socially awkward and weird these days?
It doesn't appear that way to me. Look at all the comments in disagreement with me, the poster. It's not just about making your kids fear anything. It's about age appropriate activity with a sibling as well.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
You're going to come in here and make assumptions about me because I believe children should be accompanied by their parents when they play at six and ten years of age?

Really? Is it that serious for you, that you need to approach me that way?

BTW, all soccer moms drive those SUV's and station wagons when they are carting the kids around.
And the children are never out of Mommy's sight. How restrictive!

Consensus here seems to be that children should have and can grow from some freedom. You vehemently disagree and have done so consistently, arguing with almost everyone with a different take while denying being a helicopter parent. That being the case, why did you start this thread knowing that you would draw comments? Were you expecting nothing but approbation?

I have to agree with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
This. If OP does not want comments, then I recommend OP should open a blog and disable the comments. Because this is a forum and discussion is everywhere.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And the children are never out of Mommy's sight. How restrictive!

Consensus here seems to be that children should have and can grow from some freedom. You vehemently disagree and have done so consistently, arguing with almost everyone with a different take while denying being a helicopter parent. That being the case, why did you start this thread knowing that you would draw comments? Were you expecting nothing but approbation?
What's wrong with me disagreeing? You still vehemently disagree with me. What's your point? To change my mind? I disagree. What can YOU do about that?

What is your problem? I don't agree. I don't agree. I don't agree. I don't agree. You don't agree with me, am I demanding that you do? WTF?

Old 04-15-2015, 02:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
What's wrong with me disagreeing? You still vehemently disagree with me. What's your point? To change my mind? I disagree. What can YOU do about that?

What is your problem? I don't agree. I don't agree. I don't agree. I don't agree. You don't agree with me, am I demanding that you do? WTF?
You missed the point. Read the rest of what I posted. And now that you appear to be in tantrum mode, G'Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events