Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Certainly not overly protective, helicopter parents. I have five adult children. If they ask me for advice I give it. If they don't I keep my mouth shut. As far as I'm concerned to do otherwise would be intrusive and interfering unless it's a matter of safety or security. Four of the five are married with children of their own and all have their own lives. I'm often asked "who, what, where, when, how" questions about their growing up years or my life BC (before children) and very often for recipes. My wife, who is not their mother, is a retired midwife so the girls and daughters-in-law often have questions for her. I consider that parenting as well.
Good for you. I was not, nor have I been a "helicopter parent." I just don't believe a 6 year old with a 10 year old should be out of eye sight of parents. These children were about a mile away in Maryland. Sorry, but that state is not the safest, as with Maine or Idaho!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It is none of your business as to how they raise their children, nor the governments frankly.

No its none of my business, but I have a right to give my opinion on it. That will stand. What can you do? Yanno....we come here and offer opinions. I gave mine....

The MD law says:

The children were not locked or confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle, they were outdoors in a park. There was no violation of the law.

NJ's point that the people most likely to be ensnared by the law above are the poor; blacks and Hispanics have much higher rates of poverty than whites so the law is likely to have a disparate impact on minority communities. Disparate impact is how the EEOC judges racism in the work place so it should apply equally to the government and laws.

Well why didn't NJ say that? Are you quite sure you can speak for him/her? I asked for clarification and got none.

Oh.... and the MD law isn't about "free range" and the parents were not in violation.

WHO SAID IT WAS?

Yes, times have changed. Crimes against children are plunging. Kids are safer now then when I was growing up.

http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/pdf/poi130100.pdf

Yes, lots of parents are paranoid helicopter parents. That doesn't make it right.

Did you read the facts on crime from the Free Range site?

WHY WOULD I READ THE FACTS ON A WEBSITE WHOSE IDEA OF RAISING CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT FROM MY OWN? IF YOU'RE A REPUBLICAN DO YOU READ LIBERAL WEBSITES?

Child kidnapping, stranger abduction is way lower then it used to be.

OIG Audit Report 09-08

In the report above the FBI only opened 77 stranger abduction cases, down from 106 in 2000.

12? They didn't ride a bus until they were 12? My kids walked to school (or rode a bike) or rode the bus from 1st grade on.

NCMEC is an activist group that grows their membership by scaring people. Read the FBI report and raw data. Most of the kids reported missing are found, most of the kidnapping are custodial cases, over a third are runaways from abuse home situations.

BUT YOU WANT ME TO READ THE FREE RANGE WEBSITE, WHICH IS A GROUP BASED SOLELY FOR THE SUPPORT OF THEIR PARENTING THEORIES? I CALL FOUL.

You are trying to debate it, you started the topic.

I'M NOT DEBATING ANYTHING. I STARTED A THREAD AND GAVE MY OPINION FLAT OUT. THERE ARE NO QUESTIONS WITHIN MY POST. STATEMENTS ARE MADE ABOUT HOW I FEEL. A DEBATE WOULD BE ME ASKING YOU WOULD YOU APPROVE OF THIS! THIS IS NOT THE GREAT DEBATES FORUM.

They did follow the law as I've quoted above.

Well, someone was called and CPS came. This is their third time.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Well, someone was called and CPS came. This is their third time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter It is none of your business as to how they raise their children, nor the governments frankly.

Quote:
No its none of my business, but I have a right to give my opinion on it. That will stand. What can you do? Yanno....we come here and offer opinions. I gave mine....
Well obviously you think it should be everyone's business, that is why you started the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter
NJ's point that the people most likely to be ensnared by the law above are the poor; blacks and Hispanics have much higher rates of poverty than whites so the law is likely to have a disparate impact on minority communities. Disparate impact is how the EEOC judges racism in the work place so it should apply equally to the government and laws.
Quote:
Well why didn't NJ say that? Are you quite sure you can speak for him/her? I asked for clarification and got none.
They shouldn't have had to as any thinking person knows these facts already.

Quote:
Oh.... and the MD law isn't about "free range" and the parents were not in violation.
Quote:
WHO SAID IT WAS?
YOU did, twice in fact.

Quote:
Yes, times have changed. Crimes against children are plunging. Kids are safer now then when I was growing up.

http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/pdf/poi130100.pdf

Yes, lots of parents are paranoid helicopter parents. That doesn't make it right.

Did you read the facts on crime from the Free Range site?
Quote:
WHY WOULD I READ THE FACTS ON A WEBSITE WHOSE IDEA OF RAISING CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT FROM MY OWN? IF YOU'RE A REPUBLICAN DO YOU READ LIBERAL WEBSITES?
Because the facts on their site come from reputable sources.

And yes, I do read a lot of liberal sites, newspapers and blogs to know what they are saying. It is how I know how completely insane they are.
Quote:
NCMEC is an activist group that grows their membership by scaring people. Read the FBI report and raw data. Most of the kids reported missing are found, most of the kidnapping are custodial cases, over a third are runaways from abuse home situations.
Quote:
BUT YOU WANT ME TO READ THE FREE RANGE WEBSITE, WHICH IS A GROUP BASED SOLELY FOR THE SUPPORT OF THEIR PARENTING THEORIES? I CALL FOUL.
Yes, because they are quoting reliable sources. I read BOTH sites. Maybe an openminded person would do that.

Quote:
You are trying to debate it, you started the topic.
Quote:
I'M NOT DEBATING ANYTHING. I STARTED A THREAD AND GAVE MY OPINION FLAT OUT. THERE ARE NO QUESTIONS WITHIN MY POST. STATEMENTS ARE MADE ABOUT HOW I FEEL. A DEBATE WOULD BE ME ASKING YOU WOULD YOU APPROVE OF THIS! THIS IS NOT THE GREAT DEBATES FORUM.
When you post an opinion on a site where you know people have differing opinions you are starting a debate.

And why do you keep shouting?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Believe it or not, the crime rate in America is at its lowest point since the 1960s. We just have 24/7 media scaring us.

US crime rate at lowest point in decades. Why America is safer now. - CSMonitor.com
Yes, that's what they say. Still not that comforting to me though.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:26 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. Safer in a public park? I wonder why Maryland has this law?
Then look up the statistics of children molested by people in their homes versus those that were molested while in a public park.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Well obviously you think it should be everyone's business, that is why you started the thread.

I started this thread to give my opinion. For those of like mind as well as those who are not.

They shouldn't have had to as any thinking person knows these facts already.

Who? Say what? What facts? I asked how and all the poster had to do was explain. That was between me and that poster. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?

YOU did, twice in fact.

Because the facts on their site come from reputable sources.

The info I provided is also considered reputable.

And yes, I do read a lot of liberal sites, newspapers and blogs to know what they are saying. It is how I know how completely insane they are.

Don't expect me to be like YOU.

Yes, because they are quoting reliable sources. I read BOTH sites. Maybe an openminded person would do that.

When you post an opinion on a site where you know people have differing opinions you are starting a debate.

And why do you keep shouting?
Why does this matter to you?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
This. If OP does not want comments, then I recommend OP should open a blog and disable the comments. Because this is a forum and discussion is everywhere.

What does Free Range have to do with chickens?! "Free Range Parenting" has happened all the time. It isn't new. Kids had frequently been unsupervised and there was always danger (not just in "recent times" or "modern times" ) and that children are more likely to be attacked at church or school or even a school teacher or some other "surprising" place instead of just wandering on their own.
Slow your roll. I didn't say I didn't want comments. Find that. I didn't want this thread to be race based thread. No race trolling. Simple. I'm quite pleased to get "hits" on my posts.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Well the point of this kind of outrage is mostly for people to prove they are better parents.

The related point is to find a way punish 'bad' parents. This fulfills the weird inner American need to discipline others.

The laugh is that nobody really cares that these kids were out by themselves. If there's one thing that Americans certainly don't give a **** about, it's other people's kids.
No one is trying to prove they are better parents. My children are grown and I haven't raised a child in over 30 years. Come again.........

Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM

635 posts, read 783,604 times
It's pretty sad if kid's can't just go out and play,Or walk down the road to a park. I say its up to the parents and see nothing wrong.Maybe your into the whole nanny state thinking.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:53 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what they say. Still not that comforting to me though.
I think the reality is there are many things in the world/things we do everyday that if you look at numbers, they aren't very "comforting". People drive cars/don't think much of it but have you ever seen the stats on the odds of each of us getting in a serious accident? Ever stop to think of all the drunks/impaired/sleepy drivers in the other lane coming towards you at 55mph 6 ft away? What about the favorable odds of each of us getting a heart attack that is mostly caused by our diet/lifestyle choices that many don't seem concerned about? Yet some humans take stats that show certain events that are long shots/rarely happen and make that as their primary concern and react irrationality as it's the norm.

So I ask....given you are so concerned about something that happens rarely in our society, and stats show it's being even less common than years past, I trust you don't drive a car, are a strict vegan for your health, never use a ladder, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events