Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times

Advertisements

Walmart would never close for "plumbing problems". They would lose too much money. They would bring in porta pottys and water trucks and renovate the store while keeping it open before they let that happen. I think the closing them to punish labor activists seems like most likely scenario. They aren't going to lose that much money without it benefitting them in some way. Surely not to let the army play GI Joe in their store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I would think the stores shutting down had faulty plumbing materials coming from the same suppliers, or the plumbing was installed by the same crew who did subpar work.
Or if there is defective material discovered they treat all stores in which they were installed alike, a lot like an auto recall.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
And now that the mainstream media has been forced to cover it all they talk about is that this some Union thing.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
YES.... this sounds MUCH more like the Walmart we all know and "love."

but maybe it is TOOOOO logical for the conspiracy theorists to swallow??
If this was just union busting why not admit to it? Americans can get behind that.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, labor groups are now confirming that Walmart closed those five stores to crack down on wage protests and attempts to organize labor.....which is a tactic used by companies for decades.

They just shut down for 6 months, clean house and pin it on something lame like plumbing.

Heck, a local restaurant did the same thing a couple years back. They wanted to clear out the old management and servers so they "closed for renovations".
Then why not own up to it? Nothing wrong with breaking unions.

Not hard to imagine the administration getting its flunkies in big labor to lie to protect it.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:23 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post

Not hard to imagine the administration getting its flunkies in big labor to lie to protect it.
They already have a bad rep for treating frontline employees like dirt and having some of the worst customer service around, why would they want to flaunt something that would just add to the negative opinion many people have already?
"Walmart- still trampling the little people"

Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post

You should start your own PR firm.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, labor groups are now confirming that Walmart closed those five stores to crack down on wage protests and attempts to organize labor.....which is a tactic used by companies for decades.

They just shut down for 6 months, clean house and pin it on something lame like plumbing.

Heck, a local restaurant did the same thing a couple years back. They wanted to clear out the old management and servers so they "closed for renovations".
What is so insane is that people seem to prefer to believe in FEMA camps (read: concentration camps) instead of the far more sinister fact that WalMart would prefer to lose millions in sales TO QUASH WAGE PROTESTS.

I mean, why is that not horrifying enough for people? Aliens, conspiracies- these things I understand. Human stupidity, and human greed, I will never.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,077 times
I just hate plumbing problems. My toilet always gets plugged up when there is too much crap in it! Just awful!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,736 times
This Jade Helm business is just......NO. The truth behind Jade Helm is that some whack job conspiracy theorist got hold of a official looking but completely fake exercise map. Routinely, yes routinely, someone who works on base sneaks out some exercise materials that look official, they are official, but they are not real plans. The people who get a hold of things like this have no idea what they are looking at so they show it to their tinfoil hat buddies on sites like dreamland ranch, 4 chan and godlike. Predictably, some old idiot claiming to have been former military Intel guy stirs the pot with supposed inside information. Then all the anti gov don't tread on me types get their ego stroked by like minded fools on Twitter and Facebook. When I was in Alaska the local population was convinced we were going to attack Canada. Canada was indeed attacked.... in a joint exercise with Canadian forces in Yukon. They gave that bombing range in the middle of nowhere Yukon a good pummeling, take that middle of nowhere Canada! ... Poor caribou?

If everyone of these exercises was real, just in my career alone we would have bombed southern phoenix (we called it Maricopiastan.... fitting really), northern Nevada, Yuma, most of Utah, South central Idaho and most of Alaska and Manitoba. As far as I know... none of them have turned into a post apocalyptic hell hole ran by a draconian police state.

What will the tin foil hat people say when Jade Helm doesn't happen? Probably the same thing Harold Camping said when Jesus failed to come a few years back. "It's still coming" ... yes we have been told that since 33AD, yet, it never happens.

I can't believe how many of these people we have in the military. People who work for the government who constantly whine about the government and accuse it of all sorts of wacky crap. Yet, when you point out the irony of their situation they look at you like a deer in the head lights. I said "Well why are you a troop in the military if you hate the government? obviously you are not that afraid of it." They always come up with some idiotic circular argument that makes no sense. I had to get rid of an airman that was sharing classified info on the internet, I guess he was a lame incarnation of Bradley Manning. He was sharing information regarding Southern Command movements in Central and South America, which honestly wasn't damming or anything. Smart people can look up what southern command does on global security, it specifically states what it does.

As far as the other half of the story I bet they were likely redundant stores after looking at the locations. We have had several local big box stores consolidate locations. Almost everything in our city is now centered around only 3 locations Clackamas, Tigard, and the Airport. However, it would not surprise me if the strikes did push the decision to close the stores. Even if true, jobs are not charities as liberals tend to believe. The store can do whatever it wants. If it did not exist there would be no jobs anyway. When a company comes into a town no one puts a gun to the residents heads and say you need to go work at Walmart for 12 dollars an hour putting cheap Chinese made crap on shelves 12 hours a day. No, they volunteer, no one forces anyone into slave labor, they are free to walk out the door without saying anything to anyone and there will be no repercussions. If a company does not want to be hostage to a union then it closes, big deal. No company owes any one any damn thing, especially a job. A job is just a perk of a company needing help to accomplish it's mission... making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events