Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times

Advertisements

Today at a local bargain grocery store in Portland. A group of young black men was yelling at a group of other young black... men? they looked like boys probably 15-17. They were just going on and on, mf word this, n word that, . People started moving thought the store to get away from the area they were in. Some left their groceries and exited the building. This particular store attracts the worst of the worst, there have been several high profile drug busts and shootings there. Almost every kid I saw there today looks like this kid. Boots sagging sweatpants hoodie and the same stupid "hard" look with the macho bravado. I could see if this is an isolated thing but this widespread and supported by the "parents." These kids think its cute, its a game... take pics, look hard, cause a ruckus in public. They are little yappy dogs that run to the end of the leash barking up a storm. Unfortunately, many times they bark at the wrong big dog willing to bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Where's Waldo? Race baiting again I see...

It must be a full-time job spending so much time supporting that confirmation bias.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
I think that the bad behavior seen in some African Americans is a parenting issue as has been mentioned, and not a race issue. I grew up in the suburbs, and had some really good black friends. All from 2 parent households, and I knew their parents pretty well. They definitely didn't let their kids walk around with their pants sagging, use the n-word, etc. The parenting issues tend to be seen more in inner city areas, associated with poverty. You also don't see many African or Caribbean black teenagers with bad behavior because the parenting tends to be very strong due to their cultures.

I was on the train the other day, and 2 young African American teens got on. They were sitting next to myself and an older Latino woman. They were talking to each other really loudly and literally every other word was a curse word. The expression on the older woman's face, was complete shock. The sad part is that in their minds, they were probably just having a normal conversation. They probably don't realize that socially, you just don't behave that way in public. When I see something like that, it definitely screams poor parenting.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Yes, this is one of the dumbest things ever said by a sitting president.
Exactly. I know others were upset by your post but I know exactly what you meant. Obama is perfectly willing to take an incident that wasn't about race and make it so, comparing an alleged victim to a son he never had, but if a person of similar race and background is not a victim , but in fact a criminal in the making or an outright feral young male out to victimize others, Obama has never and would never say, "if I had a son he would look like him" and it's perfectly reasonable to call him out on his race baiting.
Sadly, that young man reflects an aspect of black culture that is all too common and isn't going to get corrected any time soon.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is underclass behavior. Another question is this. Where are the non-underclass Blacks at? No where to be found. Such Blacks would not want to be around that element.
I get that non hood rat blacks are not going to want to associate with these losers. However even when you get white losers together at a concert, when someone gets injured, people will come to their aid, not just ignore a knocked out victim. Here is but one example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_UfDwJYs8

No one would argue that the loser deserved what he got, but even people who were previously laughing at the fool still attempt to help him afterward.
Why the difference

Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I get that non hood rat blacks are not going to want to associate with these losers. However even when you get white losers together at a concert, when someone gets injured, people will come to their aid, not just ignore a knocked out victim. Here is but one example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_UfDwJYs8

No one would argue that the loser deserved what he got, but even people who were previously laughing at the fool still attempt to help him afterward.
Why the difference
I don't know why there is such a difference. I don't go hanging around that element. I don't suffer trash very well. I'm just trying to live my life. Want to know why? Ask said hood rats.

And by the way, I asked about the non-hood rat part of the Black population for this reason. That segment of the Black population has a high likelihood of being thrown under the bus specifically because hood rats get far more attention than the non-hood rat Blacks.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Today at a local bargain grocery store in Portland. A group of young black men was yelling at a group of other young black... men? they looked like boys probably 15-17. They were just going on and on, mf word this, n word that, . People started moving thought the store to get away from the area they were in. Some left their groceries and exited the building. This particular store attracts the worst of the worst, there have been several high profile drug busts and shootings there. Almost every kid I saw there today looks like this kid. Boots sagging sweatpants hoodie and the same stupid "hard" look with the macho bravado. I could see if this is an isolated thing but this widespread and supported by the "parents." These kids think its cute, its a game... take pics, look hard, cause a ruckus in public. They are little yappy dogs that run to the end of the leash barking up a storm. Unfortunately, many times they bark at the wrong big dog willing to bite.
Well, there you go. It attracts the worst of the worst. What you saw was the worst of the worst within the Black population. One thing is noticeably absent. The more diligent and decent within the Black population weren't hanging around those persons who were causing trouble.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 PM

One thing I can take from this is this. Decent Black people can separate themselves from hood rats as much as they can. And as well they should. Keep away from hood rats, as they might get you killed. That being said, if the goal is to keep decent Blacks from being associated with hood rats, it doesn't always work. If the goal is to get the hood rats to change, it doesn't work. Hood rats will keep doing that. It's a "no win". Stick around hood rats, and you because immersed in hood rat culture and meet a very sad end. Distance yourself from hood rat culture and disown such persons, said persons will still act like idiots The decent and diligent within the Black population are more likely to get ignored, as hood rats get ALL of the attention. Pop culture encourages it. Those with anger and fear focus on the negative. By being ignored, it makes it easier to not differentiate between the decent and the hood rat types.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:41 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing I can take from this is this. Decent Black people can separate themselves from hood rats as much as they can. And as well they should. Keep away from hood rats, as they might get you killed. That being said, if the goal is to keep decent Blacks from being associated with hood rats, it doesn't always work. If the goal is to get the hood rats to change, it doesn't work. Hood rats will keep doing that. It's a "no win". Stick around hood rats, and you because immersed in hood rat culture and meet a very sad end. Distance yourself from hood rat culture and disown such persons, said persons will still act like idiots The decent and diligent within the Black population are more likely to get ignored, as hood rats get ALL of the attention. Pop culture encourages it. Those with anger and fear focus on the negative. By being ignored, it makes it easier to not differentiate between the decent and the hood rat types.
I can actually agree with this to an extent, though I personally believe you've gone too far in your efforts to disregard the frequency with which blacks commit certain types of crime. I would say that it's unfair (perhaps egregiously unfair in some instances) for people -- often whites -- to presume that most blacks are ready and willing to commit all forms of crime at the drop of a dime. I also think ease of mobility displays a racial disparity, and I can say that not only having worked in a district- (or greater) level capacity for a few companies, but also as a business owner with many personal connections to other business owners and various high-level employees.

In any case, I do make a wholehearted attempt to keep things in perspective, but some statistical deviations simply cannot be ignored (nor should they be, as it does a disservice to everyone).

Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I can actually agree with this to an extent, though I personally believe you've gone too far in your efforts to disregard the frequency with which blacks commit certain types of crime. I would say that it's unfair (perhaps egregiously unfair in some instances) for people -- often whites -- to presume that most blacks are ready and willing to commit all forms of crime at the drop of a dime. I also think ease of mobility displays a racial disparity, and I can say that not only having worked in a district- (or greater) level capacity for a few companies, but also as a business owner with many personal connections to other business owners and various high-level employees.

In any case, I do make a wholehearted attempt to keep things in perspective, but some statistical deviations simply cannot be ignored (nor should they be, as it does a disservice to everyone).
Well, this is how I see it. What do any of those statistics have to do with the individuals who aren't contributing to those statistics? It isn't that I don't know or disregard the statistics. It is that those statistics will be used in a manner of "see, this is what Blacks are like". Blacks who have nothing to do with that statistics will get thrown under the bus too. I differentiate regular Black people from hood rats for a reason. I'm not denying the statistics.

Blacks who can move away from hood rat types will do so. In fact, I read an article about Black suburban residents who were disturbed by people from Detroit moving into their suburban neighborhoods. It was along the lines of "I left Detroit to get away from hood rats, and now those hood rats are here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events