Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 08:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Walmart, is no longer affordable...their prices are just as high as Giant and other stores, if not higher in some prices...every since they opened the larger stores, their prices have gone up a great deal....
I shop there, less and less, due to this....

But, to, maybe it depends on where you live? State/county?
I live in Western Pennsylvania and it is absolutely false that Giant/Martins prices are lower than Walmart except for an occasional item. I often shop at Giant/Martins and Walmart on the same shopping trip since I only buy certain items at Giant/Martins such as meat, bakery goods such as bagels and cakes. and unsweetened seltzer water, which Walmart has an extremely small selection.

Most items at Giant/Martins are typically 10-50% higher than Walmart. Produce at Giant/Martins is the worst as it can sometimes be double Walmart's price and is usually lower quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Everyone I know who shops online pays their taxes. It's obvious that you're okay with people not paying their share of taxes. Perhaps your a criminal who doesn't pay taxes. Perhaps your a supporter of these criminals. It's a shame that people don't pay their taxes.

I was merely suggesting that unless that other poster was a tax-evading criminal, they don't save any money by purchasing a TV at Amazon.
You must hang out with a strange bunch.

I try to get out of paying taxes every chance that I get.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 AM

27 posts, read 44,826 times
Most people concern about the "price", so do I. So do you have problem with "china product"?..

Old 04-27-2015, 08:43 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I live in Western Pennsylvania and it is absolutely false that Giant/Martins prices are lower than Walmart except for an occasional item. I often shop at Giant/Martins and Walmart on the same shopping trip since I only buy certain items at Giant/Martins such as meat, bakery goods such as bagels and cakes. and unsweetened seltzer water, which Walmart has an extremely small selection.

Most items at Giant/Martins are typically 10-50% higher than Walmart. Produce at Giant/Martins is the worst as it can sometimes be double Walmart's price and is usually lower quality.
No, I didn't say Giant prices are lower, I said, that Walmart, in our area at least, since they build the superstore, prices have been going up, and now, their prices are as high as Giant....I now go to Aldi's....due to that...Walmart's prices have soared, as a matter of fact, another woman and I got into that conversation while shopping.

Guess, it really depends on the area, and the manager...but butter is actually higher, and I've been watching their prices...what used to cost me, around 100.00 now costs me, 120.00 - 130.00 per week....????

This past week, I managed to keep it down to 116.00. But, I intend to go back to Aldi's, as I know I can do better.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:01 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Huh?

How do you not pay taxes on out of state purchases??
if the site doesn't add it In automatically thats how

Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, I didn't say Giant prices are lower, I said, that Walmart, in our area at least, since they build the superstore, prices have been going up, and now, their prices are as high as Giant....I now go to Aldi's....due to that...Walmart's prices have soared, as a matter of fact, another woman and I got into that conversation while shopping.

Guess, it really depends on the area, and the manager...but butter is actually higher, and I've been watching their prices...what used to cost me, around 100.00 now costs me, 120.00 - 130.00 per week....????

This past week, I managed to keep it down to 116.00. But, I intend to go back to Aldi's, as I know I can do better.
And when Walmart sees a consumer shift at that store they will adjust pricing. Retail follows customers feet. If the feet are not coming in the door like they used to they adjust until the exodus reverses.
Since the advent of technology in business serious players have drilled down farther and farther into the metrics (data mining) on what the consumer, specifically their consumer target, want to buy and how to get them to buy it at THIER store.
Product placement,store layout down to the slope of the concrete floors in the isles is all a science and constantly monitored for that nugget of information that could suck a % of customers from store "A" into store "B".
As for store closures, those in the west should get ready for a slew of 'em to start happening as Safeway/Albertsons merger takes hold.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
You must hang out with a strange bunch.

I try to get out of paying taxes every chance that I get.
Use Tax (from Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth)

The assessing jurisdiction may make the use tax payable annually, but some states require a monthly payment. For example, where a Vermont resident has not paid at least 6% sales tax on property brought in for use in the state, Vermont law requires filing a tax return (Form SU-452 and payment) by the 20th day of the month following non-exempt purchases to avoid a $50 late fee, a 5% penalty per month, to a maximum of 25%, plus statutory interest on the unpaid tax and penalties.

Yeah, I'm sure there are people out there doing this on a regular basis. Especially on those all important razors and beef jerky purchased from Amazon

Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Use Tax (from Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth)

The assessing jurisdiction may make the use tax payable annually, but some states require a monthly payment. For example, where a Vermont resident has not paid at least 6% sales tax on property brought in for use in the state, Vermont law requires filing a tax return (Form SU-452 and payment) by the 20th day of the month following non-exempt purchases to avoid a $50 late fee, a 5% penalty per month, to a maximum of 25%, plus statutory interest on the unpaid tax and penalties.

Yeah, I'm sure there are people out there doing this on a regular basis. Especially on those all important razors and beef jerky purchased from Amazon
Pffftttt....yeah, right. Call me a criminal if you want to, but...

Old 04-27-2015, 09:18 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,399 times
As much as I hate shopping at Walmart... sometimes for the best deal I need to. I don't tend to do my grocery shopping there... I prefer Target over Walmart for groceries (at least some) however for furniture and appliances I look there. Sure, yes it's not the best quality furniture - however right now that is not what I am going for. I am just looking for furniture to furnish my new place.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
In many areas, that's all that there is! And not to mention the vast majority can't afford to buy their jeans at Macy's. Heck, Macy's is an hour away from my house as is Target. Wal-Mart is 5 minutes away.

I needed bread the other night and BJ's was out of the bread we eat. The one grocery store in town doesn't sell Freihofer's bread at all. The other grocery store sells it for over $2 more a loaf than Wal-Mart. So yeah I bought it at Wal-Mart. That $2+ dollars adds up every week. Our cereal is almost half price at Wallies compared to the grocery stores. Thing like toilet paper and laundry detergent are also significantly less at Wallies.

Some people don't like them. Don't shop there if you can afford it. I live in America where a company is allowed to make a profit and they shouldn't feel guilty about it.

And before Wallies came to my area, there hadn't been a place to buy things like clothes in DECADES. School supplies were only found at grocery stores. If you needed something not found at Wegman's or Tops, then off you went on an hour or more drive to get those supplies. Yeah, that's convenient and inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events