Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
As for store closures, those in the west should get ready for a slew of 'em to start happening as Safeway/Albertsons merger takes hold.

All those have already been announced and its actually relatively few stores, only what is being required legally, so in some places where there is a Safeway and an Albertsons right across the street from each other, one will close down, or in smaller communities where they would result in a monopoly of sorts. Most of the closures are in Southern California.

Beyond that, Cerberus, the company that purchased Safeway is looking to create a larger nationwide presence to challenge Kroger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:38 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And when Walmart sees a consumer shift at that store they will adjust pricing. Retail follows customers feet. If the feet are not coming in the door like they used to they adjust until the exodus reverses.
Since the advent of technology in business serious players have drilled down farther and farther into the metrics (data mining) on what the consumer, specifically their consumer target, want to buy and how to get them to buy it at THIER store.
Product placement,store layout down to the slope of the concrete floors in the isles is all a science and constantly monitored for that nugget of information that could suck a % of customers from store "A" into store "B".
As for store closures, those in the west should get ready for a slew of 'em to start happening as Safeway/Albertsons merger takes hold.
I've watched their prices go up and up since they built the super store, and yet, people pack in there? I don't get it, matter of fact, I've complained about the prices several times...including the produce...I don't believe it....so, I'm going somewhere else....

Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Because people are cool with human exploitation, as long as it means they can save a few cents on their 6 pack of Budlight.

Judging by the amount of products that Apple sells in this country, I find that to be 100% correct.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Pffftttt....yeah, right. Call me a criminal if you want to, but...
Not calling anyone anything. Just calling it as it is. To think otherwise is naive

Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I've watched their prices go up and up since they built the super store, and yet, people pack in there? I don't get it, matter of fact, I've complained about the prices several times...including the produce...I don't believe it....so, I'm going somewhere else....

It pays to shop around. I have a bunch of stores within a 5 mile vicinity so I'll hit up 4 or 5 different places on my weekly grocery trip. It really varies on what items you're buying. If I want to buy organic milk, I go to Fry's, if I want produce, I go to Fry's, Safeway or Sprouts, if I'm buying cleaning supplies, cold medicine, protein bars or dog food, I go to Walmart since they have the exact same products as all the other stores, but just for a lot less money. If I want some specialty items, I go to AJ's, Fresh and Easy or Trader Joe's, it just all depends on what I'm looking for.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,332 times
Last resort for me... I've tried to cut out shopping there completely about 3 years ago, but every once in a blue moon something pops up you can literally only get conveniently at walmart.

Plus, I live in a town now where the only big box store IS walmart... Crazy, right? Good for me I do most of my shopping online, but like I said, there are those rare moments! (and I hate it every time I have to go so damn much!)

Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Does anybody else find it weird that this many people go out of their way to NOT shop at Walmart but will be fine with shopping at other big box retailers (Target, Home Depot, Kroger, Sears, McDonald's). It's not like these other retailers were sent from heaven and give free massages and bags of fairy dust to every employee.

Call me crazy.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Judging by the amount of products that Apple sells in this country, I find that to be 100% correct.
It's not just Apple. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc., they ALL do it.
And IMO, they're not doing anything terribly wrong, considering they're not FORCING anyone to work in their manufacturing plants. Rather, they provide individuals in impoverished countries with a job that they otherwise would not have.
FoxCONN workers earn on average around $300/month. The other options for low-skilled laborers include rice fields at a wage of $50/month. What would you have Apple et all do exactly?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Does anybody else find it weird that this many people go out of their way to NOT shop at Walmart but will be fine with shopping at other big box retailers (Target, Home Depot, Kroger, Sears, McDonald's). It's not like these other retailers were sent from heaven and give free massages and bags of fairy dust to every employee.

Call me crazy.
I often wonder this same thing! They all get their products from the same places. it's not like there's 10,000 companies that make toilet paper or screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's not just Apple. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc., they ALL do it.
And IMO, they're not doing anything terribly wrong, considering they're not FORCING anyone to work in their manufacturing plants. Rather, they provide individuals in impoverished countries with a job that they otherwise would not have.
FoxCONN workers earn on average around $300/month. The other options for low-skilled laborers include rice fields at a wage of $50/month. What would you have Apple et all do exactly?
People often think they have the answers to the world's problem when in reality they have no clue what it's like in other countries. None of us do unless we've lived and worked there. To me $300 a month sounds much better than $50 bent over picking rice.....that's just me.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
Simply because my town loves Wal-Mart so much that there are two super ones, plus a Wal-Mart neighborhood center rumored to be on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events