Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 05:19 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Doesn't Walmart meet other store's lower prices?
I remember an ad from Publix saying something along the lines of:
"You walk into Publix, see the items on sale, take pictures of the items, leave, then go to Wal-Mart, select the same items, show cashier the pictures of the sales, and then pay Publix price... Why not just buy those items at Publix since you were already in there?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:05 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who says all factories have good paying jobs? There are a few factories near me and some of the positions start out at minimum wage and they are always hiring. The most I've seen them hire is $10 an hour.....they're all unskilled labor positions. Maybe you can work your way up in the company, but it's extremely rare for them to have a position that pays over $10 an hour in the newspaper.
You are correct, not all factory jobs are high paying. Wouldn't it be nice to have some that are?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who says all factories have good paying jobs? There are a few factories near me and some of the positions start out at minimum wage and they are always hiring. The most I've seen them hire is $10 an hour.....they're all unskilled labor positions. Maybe you can work your way up in the company, but it's extremely rare for them to have a position that pays over $10 an hour in the newspaper.
The only good paying factory job I can think of is CNC Programming, and that is a job that requires a fairly extensive amount of training and/or schooling. The rest is very much unskilled labor, along the lines of pushing a button and watching a machine operate for hours on end. And as you said, they are always hiring. Very high turnover rate.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
They said it themselves: if it comes to social justice or having more material things, Americans will go for more material things any time. Whether it's rioting after a police shooting (and looting stores for material things), or buying cheap Chinese imported toys from Walmart so that Precious will have the latest thing, it is an un-American activity to sacrifice material comfort and consumption for symbolic gestures of social justice. Such a boycott strikes at the core of our system, which says that avarice is admirable, that great wealth is the great dream, that poor nations with cheap labor are cattle to feed upon, and that the wealthy are exalted and the poor are worthless scum. It insults everything that we stand for, that we send young people to die in order to protect; it runs counter to all our indoctrination growing up.

I myself don't shop there, because I also run counter to all our indoctrination, and because it disgusts me. But you asked how anyone can continue to do so.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You are correct, not all factory jobs are high paying. Wouldn't it be nice to have some that are?

To do what exactly, most factory jobs are largely automated, you're not paying people for a heck of a lot of know-how anymore, you're paying them to push buttons and occasionally trouble shoot these systems when they malfunction.

This is the result of automation and there is no going back. As a general rule of life, your pay is largely determined by how difficult your employer thinks it will be to replace you. Its really not all that hard to teach someone to stock shelves, run a cash register, slice meat, run an assembly line by pushing a few buttons....etc.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My ex and I had an online business. We didn't charge tax unless it was mandated. But when we filed our taxes for the business, any instate sales had to have taxes paid. It varied by county. So we had to figure the tax and account for it. But that small amount helped convince people they should get their stuff from us.

Some states mandate charging taxes. Amazon absorbs those. A few states still do not charge any sales tax on sales from a buisness selling online. It varies. Some states only charge tax from brick

What amazon does is make it simple to figure out the exact amount you pay, which makes more sales for them. They are selling the convience. The biggest selling point for me with Amazon is that they absolutely guarentee returns with their retailers. So if an item doesn't work or doesn't do what the blurb says, you can return it. The only exception I've seen is old software and the seller explicitly states the no return policy.

I'll buy from Amazon over Walmart because it DOES save, and that is why Amazon doesn't run tax.
I live in Pennsylvania. amazon isn't absorbing my sales tax. They charge me the PA 6% sales tax on non-food/non-clothing purchases. (Those items aren't taxable in-state). Actually, the PA law is that if you purchase a taxable item in a place that doesn't charge the tax, you are duty-bound to report the purchase and remit the tax you would have paid had you purchased the item tax-included. Of course we all do.

There are a couple of items that I purchase on a regular basis that are dollars cheaper at Walmart. One of those is coffee - Eight o'clock, 11 oz. Columbian, which sells at my local markets for upwards of $6.00, at Walmart, the shelf price is $4.98. From time to time, the local market will have a BOGO, but of course there is a limit on how much one can purchase. When I make one of my infrequent trips to WM, I will pick up several packages of coffee. There are also some HBA that are significantly cheaper at WM so I take advantage.

It is pointless to continue to argue the merits - or lack thereof - of patronizing WM to those who only "hear" about how horrible a place it is.

In my area, there are no less than 14 grocery stores within a 20 minute drive from my home. And that's not even counting the two Walmarts or the convenience stores or the not-really-grocery-stores but-we-have-a-couple-of-aisles-of-edibles. Matter of fact, one of them, Wegman's which is a family owned chain out of Syracuse NY, is literally next door to Walmart. Wegman's was there first and people were convinced that they would be driven out but that hasn't happened. MOF, parking in their lot isn't any easier than parking at Walmart!

As for people who should have prepared their careers better so they don't have to take a lower paying job in their advancing years - many of them did. They went to college or trade school and managed to find good paying employment and worked for 20 or 25 years at the same place until the day that management realized that they were paying this person more than they would have to pay a new, young person. Out with old, in with the new, and all that. Or, as in my own case, the company decided that filing bankruptcy was a way to get out from under all the debt they took on in an effort to expand.
Luckily for me, I was 65 when that happened so it didn't hit me the way it did the people in their 40s and 50s.

So all the Judgie McJudgers can sit back and feel superior to the People of Walmart (so over!) and the poor folk who have to get up and go to work for the evil demon. I'm an equal opportunity shopper; try to spread it around so everybody gets, if not the whole pie, at least a piece.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I remember an ad from Publix saying something along the lines of:
"You walk into Publix, see the items on sale, take pictures of the items, leave, then go to Wal-Mart, select the same items, show cashier the pictures of the sales, and then pay Publix price... Why not just buy those items at Publix since you were already in there?"
Yeah, you don't have to do all of that, though. You can scan your receipt with your smartphone and load it to the Savings Catcher app. WM will scan all of the competitor's ads and give you back the difference that you paid on a WM gift card.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yeah, you don't have to do all of that, though. You can scan your receipt with your smartphone and load it to the Savings Catcher app. WM will scan all of the competitor's ads and give you back the difference that you paid on a WM gift card.
So basically Wal-Mart will give me a gift card for shopping at a store that had better prices?
In other words, pay less at Publix, go to WM, show proof, and get a gift card?
Sound like a win/win to me.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
So basically Wal-Mart will give me a gift card for shopping at a store that had better prices?
In other words, pay less at Publix, go to WM, show proof, and get a gift card?
Sound like a win/win to me.
Don't worry, they deduct the difference from their employees

They are the devil after all

Old 04-28-2015, 11:17 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
I used to go to Walmart for all my groceries, and they've become increasingly greedy, prices have gone up a dollar or more on a lot of items....

Even their butter is more expensive, power bars, their produce, and by the way, their produce at the one nearest me, is bad....so it's management....

and just b/c they sell 8 o'clock coffee cheaper, doesn't offset their other prices.....

Where I live, they have gone way up....so I now will go to Aldies....its like anything else, people will get sick of it, and go elsewhere....Walmart used to be cheaper, and as far as their TV's and such being cheaper, beware, b/c when Sony makes TV's for Walmart, they are made cheaper....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events