Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 12:23 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Does anybody else find it weird that this many people go out of their way to NOT shop at Walmart but will be fine with shopping at other big box retailers (Target, Home Depot, Kroger, Sears, McDonald's). It's not like these other retailers were sent from heaven and give free massages and bags of fairy dust to every employee.

Call me crazy.
Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Judging by the amount of products that Apple sells in this country, I find that to be 100% correct.
This is one of the reasons I never wanted an iPhone. I have a MacBook, but I bought that used from a friend.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:44 PM

20 posts, read 17,455 times
I would rather shop at Target.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:
Does anybody else find it weird that this many people go out of their way to NOT shop at Walmart but will be fine with shopping at other big box retailers (Target, Home Depot, Kroger, Sears, McDonald's). It's not like these other retailers were sent from heaven and give free massages and bags of fairy dust to every employee.

Call me crazy.
Walmart and Target help people feed and clothe their families. They do better when they help more people feed and clothe more families. And every one of their competitors is in the same situation: in order to prosper, they have to help us. The one that does the best job of helping the most people wins.

I'm not exactly sure why some folks think this is evil. Every place on Earth that doesn't use this formula is a hell-hole: no profits, no prosperity, and people scrabble in the dirt for subsistence. Cuba and North Korea, for example.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Apparently no one has watched the documentary "Is WalMart Good For America?" or "Walmart-the High Cost of Low Price". They are on Youtube. Or examine the dozens of lawsuits levied against and won against WalMart. Then decide if how you spend your dollar matters.
As with anything the media produces, you have to take it with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions. Walmart is the big guy, makes for an easy target, especially those sharks in suits, it's much easier to bring a law suit to a giant like Walmart because they'll likely settle out of court. If you're worried about exploitation of employees, there are a lot worse employers out there- have a look at agriculture. As far as driving industry out of this country? Globalization has been proceeding since the 70's and 80's, the textile industry has been gone for over 50 years, it's a product of a global economy and not Walmart. And to the point, lets get rid of Walmart and shut them down, over 1 million people who work for them lose their jobs, and I don't know how many people who work for supporting companies, who's going to pick up the slack? Then what's the answer, a lot of smaller low volume stores with higher prices? Besides, you don't shop there, right? You've taken your stand, good for you..

Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWp9evUA3l0

Old 04-27-2015, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 562 times
I'm not convinced Walmart is cheaper. In my experience, the costs balance out. There are items sold at Dollar Tree, for instance, that can be purchased cheaper elsewhere. Sprouts has better prices and quality for fruits and vegetables. Mainstream supermarkets offer significantly lower priced items during their weekly sales. Often prices are not posted or are incorrectly posted at Walmart. Most curious to me, though, is when I shop elsewhere and round up the prices to calculate my total, it's always less than I calculated. The exact opposite is true when I shop at Walmart! My total is always MORE than I expect. Hmmm...

Old 04-27-2015, 04:50 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camels Rock View Post
I'm not convinced Walmart is cheaper. In my experience, the costs balance out. There are items sold at Dollar Tree, for instance, that can be purchased cheaper elsewhere. Sprouts has better prices and quality for fruits and vegetables. Mainstream supermarkets offer significantly lower priced items during their weekly sales. Often prices are not posted or are incorrectly posted at Walmart. Most curious to me, though, is when I shop elsewhere and round up the prices to calculate my total, it's always less than I calculated. The exact opposite is true when I shop at Walmart! My total is always MORE than I expect. Hmmm...

Yeah, I've never had that experience at all. I know exactly what I'm going to be paying, regardless of what store I'm going to, usually I've made a mental list of what I need and since I buy a lot of the same items, I know what Products X and Y will cost me at each different store.

Like I said, it pays to shop around, some items are worth it, some aren't. I buy California Ranch olive oil at Walmart because a 1.4 litter bottle runs me around $14.00. If I go to Kroger, the 25 ounce version runs me around the same price, that's a huge savings.

I buy organic milk at Kroger because it runs me $2.99 for a half gallon whereas at several other stores, including Fresh and Easy and Walmart, I'd be paying $4.50.

It just depends, worth doing your due diligence.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:55 PM

302 posts, read 368,695 times
Quote:

Call me crazy.
It's like buying lead toys for your kids

It's like lovin SLAVERY or shooting yourself in the foot ......

Here's how Wally World differs from other big box stores in DESTROYING AMERICAN JOBS

https://youtu.be/RXmnBbUjsPs

Old 04-27-2015, 05:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
if the site doesn't add it In automatically thats how
My ex and I had an online business. We didn't charge tax unless it was mandated. But when we filed our taxes for the business, any instate sales had to have taxes paid. It varied by county. So we had to figure the tax and account for it. But that small amount helped convince people they should get their stuff from us.

Some states mandate charging taxes. Amazon absorbs those. A few states still do not charge any sales tax on sales from a buisness selling online. It varies. Some states only charge tax from brick and mortor stores.

What amazon does is make it simple to figure out the exact amount you pay, which makes more sales for them. They are selling the convience. The biggest selling point for me with Amazon is that they absolutely guarentee returns with their retailers. So if an item doesn't work or doesn't do what the blurb says, you can return it. The only exception I've seen is old software and the seller explicitly states the no return policy.

I'll buy from Amazon over Walmart because it DOES save, and that is why Amazon doesn't run tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events