Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 07:32 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times

Advertisements

It is a vicious circle. Save money because you're in the "shrinking middle class", but realize that shopping at places like Walmart is one of the key reasons the middle class has shrunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Stylo, Wal Mart's median wage is slightly above retail's overall median wage. These are entry level jobs. It is not any employer's fault if someone at an age where they should be at their earnings peak has not advanced past entry level jobs.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:40 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Most are trying to survive. Who has the money to be moral or PC in today's economy?
Interesting how the same thing they support is taking away the opportunities for better jobs and better pay. No need for a factory with good paying jobs here if you buy iit cheaper from China and send the money and jobs to their country. You reap what you sow. If people aren't willing to support the home companies, then one day they may be truly lucky to be able to be employed by Wal-Mart. Personally, I have higher aspirations than that.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Interesting how the same thing they support is taking away the opportunities for better jobs and better pay. No need for a factory with good paying jobs here if you buy iit cheaper from China and send the money and jobs to their country. You reap what you sow. If people aren't willing to support the home companies, then one day they may be truly lucky to be able to be employed by Wal-Mart. Personally, I have higher aspirations than that.
Personally, I know we do not improve ourselves, our society, or our prosperity by paying $600 for a $300 television. You reap what you sow, but throwing money away is not "sowing" it.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Amazon collects California state sales tax on everything I purchase from them. A couple years ago, they didn't do so, but were forced to by the state.
That depends on the state. Most don't.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:06 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Personally, I know we do not improve ourselves, our society, or our prosperity by paying $600 for a $300 television. You reap what you sow, but throwing money away is not "sowing" it.
A tv is not a necessity for most of us. It's a want.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
why are you pretending to be stupid, I know you aren't. Read my post again, it said nothing about other stores not selling those things, it said nothing about stabbing people who eat crap and pretend it's food. It was about the genius of product placement and marketing that Walmart exhibits, and it was a way to say that NOT everything is cheaper at Walmart they are just masterful at putting a very cheap product next to one that is not price competitively, or is by it's very nature more expensive (i.e. produce or meat)
I didn't think his comment was stupid, but I did think yours was caustic.

Wal-Mart seems to make people happy, however they do it, or why. And you know what they say 'The days that make us happy make us wise.'

Most people who choose to eat comfort food (AKA junk) know what they're doing and are merrily rolling along through life and enjoying themselves.

Remove the pickle from your posterior and treat yourself to some Haagen Dazs; it does wonders for the disposition - or so I've heard.

Mahrie.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn1976 View Post
I would rather shop at Target.
You do realize that the majority of the Target brands of products are made in China, right? Same as every other chain store. So how are they soooo much better than Wallies?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Some states mandate charging taxes. Amazon absorbs those. A few states still do not charge any sales tax on sales from a buisness selling online. It varies. Some states only charge tax from brick and mortor stores.
This is not true about Amazon. I buy from Amazon constantly and ALWAYS pay sales tax. It is required by state law for Amazon to collect and pay to my state. This has been the law for over 5 years. Amazon shows me on my receipts how much I paid in sales tax in addition to the cost of the item. They're not absorbing anything. I am paying the full amount.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Who says all factories have good paying jobs? There are a few factories near me and some of the positions start out at minimum wage and they are always hiring. The most I've seen them hire is $10 an hour.....they're all unskilled labor positions. Maybe you can work your way up in the company, but it's extremely rare for them to have a position that pays over $10 an hour in the newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events