Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:19 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times

Advertisements

We're turning normal everyday parents into criminals and it's disgusting.

We really have a big problem in this county where cops can do whatever the hell they like, but an otherwise lawful parent leaves their kid in the car for 4 mins and they are charged with a crime.

Laws are getting out of control. This trend of creating laws saving us from stuff the "lowest dumbest people" do is unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
If you don't like the laws, try and do something about changing them.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM

718 posts, read 615,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.
I find it ridiculous to think that one should pull the kids out of the car at every instance.
What if they're asleep and you just need to run inside and pay the clerk $20 for the gas pump? What do you do? Unbuckle them, drag them in just for the 30 seconds you'd be out of the car?
Yup.

When I was a kid, the car would always soothe me to sleep, so my mom often ran quick errands while I napped. Occasionally, I would wake up and panic, but she was back inside the car within minutes. Nothing ever happened to me...

Nowadays, with my little sister, we never leave her in the car. My mother is paranoid that someone is going to break the car windows to get inside and "save" my sister. Or worse, call the cops.

Like me, my sister always falls asleep in the car. This time around, my mother wakes her up, which causes an uproar and a nasty tantrum, before heading inside to do whatever it is. Like most children, my sister gets very grumpy when she's woken up. So she'll be wailing for 20-30 minutes until someone manages to distract her. During this time, people shoot my mom vicious glares and looks that scream, "Get out".

No doubt, that the people who hate loud, wailing children are also the same ones that would call the cops if they saw one sleeping in a car.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I remember discussing this particular story on the parenting forum here on CD and there were some (not the majority of posters but still a small handful) arguing that it wasn't even ok to leave a child in the car while you returned your grocery cart to the coral at the grocery store or dropped a book in the library book return slot or paid for gas at the gas station, etc. All things that would take a minute or two and all things where the car was in sight. It was eye opening and a little bit frightening to know that there are some who take things to that extreme.

When I was a kid our parents would give us the choice to come into the grocery store with them or wait in the car. We often chose the car. It was common back then (70's, 80's). It's weird to think how much attitudes have changed regarding this in just a few decades.
I remember the ridiculousness of that particular thread.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:26 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
I also would stay home alone for short periods of time pretty frequently.
My brother and SIL won't leave my 13-year-old nephew home alone while they run a quick errand. One of them has to be home with him. When I was 13 I was babysitting other people's kids in the neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The thing is, most of these laws have been around for a while, they've just been interpreting them differently and applying them to far more situations than they were intended for. Delinquency of a minor? I don't think that was meant to be applied to leaving a child in a car for 3 minutes, or letting a child play in a park unsupervised, even if its only 50 feet from their front door.

There aren't laws that say you can't do that.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My brother and SIL won't leave my 13-year-old nephew home alone while they run a quick errand. One of them has to be home with him. When I was 13 I was babysitting other people's kids in the neighborhood.
At 13?!? No kidding! Unless you really don't trust your child (and if you don't, you probably have a reason not to), treating them like that age 13 is kind of insane. But hey, that's just me. I guess I can't judge as I don't have kids of my own yet.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
As far as I know, we don't have those stupid laws here in CO.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

That's ridiculous! At 13 I came home to an empty house, and stayed home by myself during summer vacation!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
I grew up in the 90's and it was common then too. My parents would leave me in the car all the time (obviously not for long periods of time or in hot weather). I also would stay home alone for short periods of time pretty frequently.
I grew up in the 90s and my experience is totally different - my mother would never have dreamed of leaving either me or my sister alone in a car. I'm talking about when we were actually kids mind - at 14 you are often deemed mature enough to look after younger children for extended periods, so you are certainly old enough to be left alone in a car. When I was that age, I used to pick up my younger cousins from school if their parents asked me nicely, and yes, I was left home alone for hours on end. This was in the 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events