Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:52 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm offering a free busted window - to anyone I find leaving their child in a hot car! And I sure won't mind getting arrested, either! When the cops arrive, I'll simply place my hands behind my back and say, "Take me to jail! I'll do my talking in court."
'

What's more traumatizing to a little kid....................being left alone in the car for a few minutes while their mother runs into the store to grab some milk

OR

A random stranger bashing in a window, yanking the child out and then having to go with CPS as their mother is berated by the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:30 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I would say everyone should check the laws in their area since it doesn't matter what you think, what matters is the law. Also, how many people fudge when it comes to how long they were gone or exactly what they were doing. It is always "a couple minutes". I never left my kids in the car alone and as children, we were never left alone in the car.

Don't underestimate how long it takes for the temperature to rise even with a window cracked and some other things to keep in mind: The Dangers of Leaving Your Child Alone in a Car | Seattle Children's Hospital and Never Leave Your Child Alone - Car Safety | Primary Children's Hospital and The Dangers of Leaving Kids Alone in Hot Cars - Metro Parent and Parenting and Child Health - Health Topics - Home alone

I know children come with inconveniences but the time to think about that is before you have them.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I know children come with inconveniences but the time to think about that is before you have them.
I know life comes with some dangers but you should keep that in mind before having children if your expectations are going to be that you can protect them from everything. The child is more likely to die on the ride to the store than in the parking lot.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
I actually think it's safer to put the kid in the car, buckle them in, lock the car, and then return the grocery cart to the cart corral, or return the library books in the book-return slot, or run into the gas station to pay for the gas. Kids, especially the little squirrely ones, can escape from your clutches when you're trying to do something else--like steer the shopping cart into the corral, or walk across a busy parking area holding a handful of books, or maneuvering through busy gas station filling lanes to pop in to pay for gas. I honestly think your kid is more likely to be injured if they accompany you for these tasks.

Last edited by TotallyTam; 04-21-2015 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:33 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
'

What's more traumatizing to a little kid....................being left alone in the car for a few minutes while their mother runs into the store to grab some milk

OR

A random stranger bashing in a window, yanking the child out and then having to go with CPS as their mother is berated by the police.
News Flash: I am a CPS worker, but if I bust a window, I'm doing it as a human. A caring human at that!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 PM

16,572 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
exactly.

if it had been like this when I was growing up, my parents would have been in jail on a weekly basis.
Not if it was within the time frame your parents were raising you as back then, such reports would have been laughed at. I mean I rode my bike to school rain or shine, which was at least 10 miles away. I used to walk or ride my bike to the park all by myself, even when I was little. Today God only knows how it would be perceived.

Now I will say leaving kids in cars can be fraught with danger. For example, a person I knew told his son to wait in the car for him, that he would be back in a couple minutes. Sadly the little boy decided to get out of the car and was struck and killed.
Of course we have all heard the tragedies of kids cooking in cars because a parent got tied up longer than they thought.
Still there has to be common sense both on the part of Good Samaritans and LE.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
I am so tired of the nanny society that has caused everyone to think they know more than you, I'm also tired of people with their camera phones looking for the next viral video so they can have the 15 minutes of fame they so desperately crave. Tattletale baby's.

The day municipalities made a law saying a child has to be 4"9' and 75 points before they could not have to use a booster seat was the day the government went to far into interfering with the way adults parent. No car seat manufacturer will back those numbers because car seats are only effective for kids up to 50 pounds. For Christ sake I have a friend who is 4''9' 93 pounds and she is almost 40 years old. Does that mean she needs a booster seat to drive. All nanny state nonsense and I refuse to be a part of it.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:14 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
News Flash: I am a CPS worker, but if I bust a window, I'm doing it as a human. A caring human at that!
Lemme tell you something I come out side to find the window on my Benz busted by some over zealous person because hey precieve a dangerous situation that doesn't exist and than creates one with a violent act I'm suing that person's ass personally, suing the agency they work for and pressing charges for vandalism, attempted car jacking. car theft as well as endangering a minor. I would fight back with as much zele as God can empower me with. Mind your own business.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
People are getting to be such weird busybodies these days. When I was a little kid, I used to like to go with my dad while he was doing errands. I remember him leaving me alone in the car while he went into a bar to drink, for a couple of hours. Lots of people walking by the car, and nobody even gave me a second look.

I never knew until now, what delinquent parents I had.

Personally I'm happier to see people leave their kids in the car, then bring their screaming kids into the store with them.
Am I really the only person who didn't catch this? Or is this just extremely dry sarcasm as I'm hoping it is?

If this is a true story then yes, you really did have a delinquent father.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
I wouldn't leave a 4 year old in a car but that's just me. I wouldn't call the cops on a person if they did. I think it depends a lot on the individual circumstances. How old is the kid? How mature? How long will mom be gone? Is the car running? Is it hot out? I don't like one size fits all rules for this type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events