Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 09:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times

Advertisements

I am specifically asking about cholera. Treating cholera with only fluids and nutrition while in the field. Not anyone's military past. Just this one thing. Not agent orange, not PTSD, not anything but this one question.

To clarify: are you suggesting troops in the field treat cholera only with fluids and nutrition?

Last edited by Marka; 07-18-2015 at 12:57 AM..

Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I am specifically asking about cholera. Treating cholera with only fluids and nutrition while in the field. Not anyone's military past. Just this one thing. Not agent orange, not PTSD, not anything but this one question.

To clarify: are you suggesting troops in the field treat cholera only with fluids and nutrition?
I said it CAN be treated with fluids and nutrition. The point of my post was that there is a vaccine for it. You guys want to latch onto whatever you can! I was under the impression that the military gets all vaccines which is why I mentioned it. Also, antibiotics were mentioned. The main danger in cholera is dehydration from diarrhea so any treatment would require fluids even with antibiotics. Nutrition is needed to aid in recovery as well EVEN when antibiotics are used.

However... my point was that I thought the military got all vaccines.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I said it CAN be treated with fluids and nutrition. The point of my post was that there is a vaccine for it. You guys want to latch onto whatever you can! I was under the impression that the military gets all vaccines which is why I mentioned it. Also, antibiotics were mentioned. The main danger in cholera is dehydration from diarrhea so any treatment would require fluids even with antibiotics. Nutrition is needed to aid in recovery as well EVEN when antibiotics are used.

Nope. There are several that are branch specific and/or administered on an as-needed basis, including cholera.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:29 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I'm just hinging on the fact that you say 2 different things.....

Side 1.) unvaccinated CA kids, bad....effects others, especially the vulnerable who can't get vaccinated. CA law great as it gets vaccine rates up.

Side 2.) Unvaccinated kids/adults from other countries flying spending time amongst us, causing documented outbreaks like at Disneyland, eh...."hangnail"....don't worry about it. The vulnerable who can't get vaccinated when they exposed to these foreign unvaccinated travelers?....eh, another "hangnail". Don't worry about them in this case, even though they are unvaccinated people capable of spreading things like they did in Disney just as much as unvaccinated people cause issue with a law that you agree with. But.....create a law to ban these unvaccinated people from other countries flying in constantly who already caused an outbreak in Disneyland according to the CDC ? Not needed.

I'm a few pages behind and trying to catch up.

I'll just say that I agree with you on this. I would support a law requiring incoming travelers (both Americans returning from other countries, as well as foreign visitors arriving in the states) to be immunized. I don't view that scenario as a "hang nail." I think it would be a good measure, in combination with laws such as CA just passed.

I can understand your confusion, Steve. But in the meantime, the. CA law (even without an incoming traveler law) brings us closer to the goal of preventing outbreaks of VPDs.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:

Most people do.
Rehydration is the first priority in the treatment of cholera. Rehydration is accomplished in 2 phases: rehydration and maintenance.

The goal of the rehydration phase is to restore normal hydration status, which should take no more than 4 hours. Set the rate of intravenous infusion in severely dehydrated patients at 50-100 mL/kg/hr. Lactated Ringer solution is preferred over isotonic sodium chloride solution because saline does not correct metabolic acidosis

The goal of the maintenance phase is to maintain normal hydration status by replacing ongoing losses. The oral route is preferred, and the use of oral rehydration solution (ORS) at a rate of 500-1000 mL/hr is recommended.
Medscape: Medscape Access
It's very important as dehydration leads to death and is attributed and is the main concern with it.
http://www.who.int/csr/resources/pub...er9115rev1.pdf

If they are severe you can give antibiotics as long as they can tolerate it and are above 2 years old. But, hydration is the most important treatment for it. Antibiotics are only used in severe cases. And yes, when they are depleted of vitamins you should replenish. Especially potassium which is often lost with this.
Cholera: Get Facts about Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

So yes, I am suggesting that.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

You are correct. Antibiotics are only used in very bad uncontrollable cases.

Use of antibiotics for cholera
Use of antibiotics for the treatment of cholera
Rapid and appropriate rehydration is the main management intervention for treating cholera cases,
either orally for moderate cases, or intravenously for severe cases.
Appropriate antibiotics can reduce the volume of diarrhoea due to cholera, reduce the volume of
rehydration fluids needed, and shorten the duration of V. cholerae excretion. The current WHO
recommendation is to give antibiotics only to cholera cases with severe dehydration.

It's overuse for Cholera is creating resistant strains. Which is not a good thing.
http://www.who.int/cholera/preventio...5March2014.pdf

And for those of you who really like the CDC's advice: http://www.cdc.gov/features/getsmart/

Old 07-17-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Yeah, fluids and nutrition, living in a tent in the middle of the desert when its 110+ degrees, receiving 3 1.5 L bottles of hot drinking water per day and eating MRE's.......gee why didn't we think of that.
I don't know, everyone else has. Since the military needs to be out in the field and not sick in a tent they give a vaccine. But the vaccine, which is not recommended for public use because of it's short duration and side effects is used on the military. A lot of things no fit for public use are used on the military. If it doesn't work then they are treated with fluids and nutrition and an antibiotic if severe. Just like the rest of us.
Hopefully they will come up with a better one in the future.

WHO | Cholera

Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Juram's point was that for those deployed, one dose of azithromycin is a far more efficient solution. Stateside, supportive care with is doable.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Most people do.
Rehydration is the first priority in the treatment of cholera. Rehydration is accomplished in 2 phases: rehydration and maintenance.

The goal of the rehydration phase is to restore normal hydration status, which should take no more than 4 hours. Set the rate of intravenous infusion in severely dehydrated patients at 50-100 mL/kg/hr. Lactated Ringer solution is preferred over isotonic sodium chloride solution because saline does not correct metabolic acidosis

The goal of the maintenance phase is to maintain normal hydration status by replacing ongoing losses. The oral route is preferred, and the use of oral rehydration solution (ORS) at a rate of 500-1000 mL/hr is recommended.
Medscape: Medscape Access
It's very important as dehydration leads to death and is attributed and is the main concern with it.
http://www.who.int/csr/resources/pub...er9115rev1.pdf

If they are severe you can give antibiotics as long as they can tolerate it and are above 2 years old. But, hydration is the most important treatment for it. Antibiotics are only used in severe cases. And yes, when they are depleted of vitamins you should replenish. Especially potassium which is often lost with this.
Cholera: Get Facts about Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

So yes, I am suggesting that.
Um, I know what the goal of cholera treatment is. What I'm asking is if you truly believe that is the best only course of action specifically for those deployed troops in the field. I don't need an education on treatment protocols in best-case circumstances. I am talking about personnel in the field, on the ground, where they're in not nearly the conditions of clinical treatment. In a tent, in a moving truck, with only fluids & nutrition they carry. That is a specific question. You made the point that cholera could be treated with fluids and nutrition. I am asking for a clarification. If you don't want to answer, fine. But please don't deflect an answer by trying to educate me on cholera. I do know what it is and the importance of hydration. I am trying to understand your earlier point.

Not clinical treatment. Troops on the ground treatment.

Again, quite simply: do you believe fluids and nutrition only should be the treatment for cholera for deployed military troops?

Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Um, I know what the goal of cholera treatment is. What I'm asking is if you truly believe that is the best only course of action specifically for those deployed troops in the field. I don't need an education on treatment protocols in best-case circumstances. I am talking about personnel in the field, on the ground, where they're in not nearly the conditions of clinical treatment. In a tent, in a moving truck, with only fluids & nutrition they carry. That is a specific question. You made the point that cholera could be treated with fluids and nutrition. I am asking for a clarification. If you don't want to answer, fine. But please don't deflect an answer by trying to educate me on cholera. I do know what it is and the importance of hydration. I am trying to understand your earlier point.

Not clinical treatment. Troops on the ground treatment.

Again, quite simply: do you believe fluids and nutrition only should be the treatment for cholera for deployed military troops?
According to this article, it is the military that helped deaths from cholera go from 20% to 1%. They were the ones to come up with the best treatment... Soldiers have access to medical care like IV therapy you know.

History of U.S. military contributions to the study of diarrheal diseases. - PubMed - NCBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events