Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The only true way to be exempt in CA is to homeschool yourself, however the law states that you must have a teaching degree. How many parents have one? Not many.
Apparently the law does not say that.

HomeSchool Association of CaliforniaLegal FAQ

"How do I go about homeschooling legally?
There are several exemptions from California's compulsory education law which provide homeschoolers with a variety of alternatives for homeschooling. You can:

*Establish a private school, which involves taking some simple steps. A teaching credential is not necessary. Once the school is established, file a private school affidavit form.
*Join a private school satellite program PSP, if it has filed its own private school affidavit in California. If it has not, then you must take all of the steps to establish your own private school and must file the private school affidavit.
*Join a public school ISP (Independent Study Program), in which case your child is enrolled in public school.
*Join a Charter School Homeschooling Program, in which case your child is enrolled in public school.
*Employ a credentialed tutor; or, if you have the appropriate credential, you may be the tutor yourself.

You may decide which option best satisfies the current needs of your family. As your needs change, you may choose to use a different option."

"Do I need a California Teaching Credential in order to teach my children at home?

When children are enrolled in some type of public program, their work is supervised by credentialed teachers. Most of the teaching, of course, is done at home, but parents do not need credentials themselves. Homeschooling parents who are using the private school option do not need a California teaching credential. The statute says, very plainly, that the teacher in a private school (meaning any private school, large or small) must be "capable of teaching". It is obviously a very vague requirement, but we generally believe that anyone of reasonable intelligence and mental health who can read and write in English, even if they do not have a high school or college degree, may be "capable of teaching." Many homeschool teachers attend education conferences, read educational materials, and locate the resources they need in order to meet the "capable of teaching" requirement. In fact, teachers in giant parochial high schools don't need to hold credentials, either. They have to be "capable of teaching," and it is left to the private school administrators and the schools' customers to decide if they are. However, if you are using the tutoring option, you must have a valid California teaching credential for the subjects and grade levels of children that you will be teaching."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If we have another outbreak at Disney, (which is not a school) then we will know that the mandates did nothing whatsoever to remedy the so called, "problem".
Mandates are not intended to prevent sporadic cases. They do prevent large outbreaks. That is Epidemiology 101, which you obviously never took.

This is what we want to prevent:

How an Amish missionary caused 2014's massive measles outbreak - Vox

And this:

Texas Megachurch Changes Vaccination Stance After Outbreak

And this:

Brooklyn Measles Outbreak Shows Risks - WSJ

It turns out Disney World in Orlando was the probable source of a small outbreak there in late 2013-early 2014.

Measles Outbreak in an Unvaccinated Family and a Possibly Associated International Traveler — Orange County, Florida, December 2012–January 2013

Four unvaccinated children (in one family) and a Brazilian visitor got measles. No further spread occurred because the contact population was highly vaccinated. As with the Disneyland outbreak, the source case was not identified.

"Despite a high number of potential exposures in school, child care, and health care settings, no transmission occurred, highlighting that high population immunity can limit measles transmission and maintain measles elimination in the United States."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
How far we going to go with mandates? You people act like thousands of kids have been dying of Measles all around you. None have for years. Most people vaccinate. Outbreaks will happen regardless in CA because we have a lot of foreign travelers. Sometimes that's just life.
Measles outbreaks are not happening in Mississippi and W. Virginia.

There has been a measles death this year, in an immunocompromised adult. A young child is in hospice, dying from late complications of measles he had about five years ago as an infant too young to be vaccinated.

Most measles outbreaks are being started by unvaccinated Americans who travel abroad and bring the disease home with them, like the three examples above, not foreign travelers.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Most measles outbreaks are being started by unvaccinated Americans who travel abroad and bring the disease home with them, like the three examples above, not foreign travelers.
If this is the case then why wouldn't the focus be on making sure that those who are travelling abroad are vaccinated? Instead it's targeting a small percentage of school children.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
If this is the case then why wouldn't the focus be on making sure that those who are travelling abroad are vaccinated? Instead it's targeting a small percentage of school children.
Exactly. That's a choice. Want to travel, get vaccinated. Foreign newcomers also bring them in. Both do. Why not change that? Because the drug companies haven't targeted it yet as a money maker. When they're done here maybe they'll start paying whoever is responsible large sums of money to do just that.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm talking about following the law, but you know that.

We do mandate which kids can ride a school bus and which cannot. Sometimes its based on distance, sometimes based on whether or not children need to cross a major street. Those are regulations in many school distrincts.

There are over a dozen drugs that help with ADHD, and having worked with many Sped students, I can conceive of requiring a degree of medication prescribed by a doctor to attend public school. HOWEVER, YOU KNOW PERFECTLY WELL THAT WE ARE DISCUSSING DISEASES THAT CAN BE PASSED FROM ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER, SO WHY YOU ARE BRINGING ADHD INTO THE DISCUSSION, I DON'T KNOW, other than the old saying "throw it against the wall and see if anything sticks".

There are rules that schools have about not coming to school while ill and contagious.
Since my child has it I'll tell you why. A lot of parents don't agree with medicating their child with a drug for something no medical expert has knowledge about. Doctors have no idea why my son has Tourettes, can't explain what it is. It's a medical mystery. Yet some teachers, doctors, and principals think they know the best way to treat it.

So far, no expert can tell why VAERS gets so many injury and death reports surrounding vaccines. They cannot attribute the vaccine to any of it's reported injuries or deaths. That does not tell us that vaccines are safe, it tells us we still don't know what injuries they cause. Big difference. I don't think mandating something that isn't transparent is right to do. It's akin to mandating Ritilan for ADHD.

When and if a scientist or medical professional can link what injuries are caused by vaccines and which are not come talk to me. So far they can't. It's just a guessing game. Not good enough for me. I can't believe the public majority would mandate something like this without good science behind it but, mandates aren't fueled by good science, they are fueled by profit. Yes, it's ok in our for profit medical system for drug companies to make money as some have stated earlier. Go ahead, but to mandate for profit, I'm not comfortable with that. I agree with the choice to vaccinate, but I don't agree to mandate for profit, that crosses a line I'm not comfortable with.

Mandating a vaccine will increase injury and death reports, it already has. You can't mandate something that could possibly cause harm for the greater good. Is this a war on disease? With casualties expected? Do you get to make the choice on who's kid takes the hit for the greater good or do their parents? I guess you feel qualified to do this but I don't. If they feel cautious on vaccinating because they feel their kid might suffer bad effects then I'd gladly lend my herd immunity to them. They know their child, they might have had a bad first reaction or a sibling who's had one. It's should be up to them. IMO.

I certainly with all good conscious can't tell a parent who's child got a life long injury or died from a vaccine that his kids bad luck was worth the herds immunity. I guess you can, but for me it would lack moral judgement to say my kids worth your kids death or injury.

I would rather educate and give the choice, so far that's working well enough and we have had little death or injury from childhood diseases.

Until they work out what injuries vaccines actually cause and parents have a clear choice I cannot accept mandates as a good choice. With or without vaccines we will see death and illness from disease that's life but casualties from mandated medicine is a risk to solving a problem akin to making a bomb to evade war. It never saves more lives than it takes. That's not a good way to save our kids from injury and death, only a way to have a war with a disease. There is a difference. IMO>

Old 08-06-2015, 08:43 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times
Quote:
Since my child has it I'll tell you why. A lot of parents don't agree with medicating their child with a drug for something no medical expert has knowledge about. Doctors have no idea why my son has Tourettes, can't explain what it is. It's a medical mystery. Yet some teachers, doctors, and principals think they know the best way to treat it.

So far, no expert can tell why VAERS gets so many injury and death reports surrounding vaccines. They cannot attribute the vaccine to any of it's reported injuries or deaths. That does not tell us that vaccines are safe, it tells us we still don't know what injuries they cause. Big difference. I don't think mandating something that isn't transparent is right to do. It's akin to mandating Ritilan for ADHD.

When and if a scientist or medical professional can link what injuries are caused by vaccines and which are not come talk to me. So far they can't. It's just a guessing game. Not good enough for me. I can't believe the public majority would mandate something like this without good science behind it but, mandates aren't fueled by good science, they are fueled by profit. Yes, it's ok in our for profit medical system for drug companies to make money as some have stated earlier. Go ahead, but to mandate for profit, I'm not comfortable with that. I agree with the choice to vaccinate, but I don't agree to mandate for profit, that crosses a line I'm not comfortable with.

Mandating a vaccine will increase injury and death reports, it already has. You can't mandate something that could possibly cause harm for the greater good. Is this a war on disease? With casualties expected? Do you get to make the choice on who's kid takes the hit for the greater good or do their parents? I guess you feel qualified to do this but I don't. If they feel cautious on vaccinating because they feel their kid might suffer bad effects then I'd gladly lend my herd immunity to them. They know their child, they might have had a bad first reaction or a sibling who's had one. It's should be up to them. IMO.

I certainly with all good conscious can't tell a parent who's child got a life long injury or died from a vaccine that his kids bad luck was worth the herds immunity. I guess you can, but for me it would lack moral judgement to say my kids worth your kids death or injury.

I would rather educate and give the choice, so far that's working well enough and we have had little death or injury from childhood diseases.

Until they work out what injuries vaccines actually cause and parents have a clear choice I cannot accept mandates as a good choice. With or without vaccines we will see death and illness from disease that's life but casualties from mandated medicine is a risk to solving a problem akin to making a bomb to evade war. It never saves more lives than it takes. That's not a good way to save our kids from injury and death, only a way to have a war with a disease. There is a difference. IMO>
Again, since the merry go round of repeat posts continues, I'm sorry your kid is sick.

Every parent who doesn't want to blame genetics for their kids illness seems to look for a boogie man in vaccines instead of accepting the fact that studies point most persuasively to genetics. I'm sorry if that's hard for parents to accept, I don't know if it's misplaced guilt for what is a random unpredictable event but either way to make it your mission to prevent other kids from being protected by vaccines is inexcusable.

Vaccines are one of the most heavily studied medical processes and they don't cause autism, Tourette's or any other disease parents want to blame on them.

They have "worked out what illnesses vaccines cause" - NONE.

But you know the cool thing? THERE'S A LONG AND UNEQUIVOCALY PROVEN LIST OF DEADLY ILLNESSES VACCINES PREVENT.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Vaccines are one of the most heavily studied medical processes and they don't cause autism, Tourette's or any other disease parents want to blame on them.

They have "worked out what illnesses vaccines cause" - NONE.
Are you really saying that vaccines are 100% safe with no serious risk of side effects? You are much more misinformed then I thought. Ever hear of the risk of intussusception connected to the rotavirus vaccine? GBS connected with the flu vaccine? Clearly you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. Repeating misinformation over and over again as you have done in this thread does not make your misinformation true. Vaccine preventable diseases are not risk free but neither are vaccines. Do some real research.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:57 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Apparently the law does not say that.

HomeSchool Association of CaliforniaLegal FAQ

"How do I go about homeschooling legally?
There are several exemptions from California's compulsory education law which provide homeschoolers with a variety of alternatives for homeschooling. You can:

*Establish a private school, which involves taking some simple steps. A teaching credential is not necessary. Once the school is established, file a private school affidavit form.
*Join a private school satellite program PSP, if it has filed its own private school affidavit in California. If it has not, then you must take all of the steps to establish your own private school and must file the private school affidavit.
*Join a public school ISP (Independent Study Program), in which case your child is enrolled in public school.
*Join a Charter School Homeschooling Program, in which case your child is enrolled in public school.
*Employ a credentialed tutor; or, if you have the appropriate credential, you may be the tutor yourself.

You may decide which option best satisfies the current needs of your family. As your needs change, you may choose to use a different option."

"Do I need a California Teaching Credential in order to teach my children at home?

When children are enrolled in some type of public program, their work is supervised by credentialed teachers. Most of the teaching, of course, is done at home, but parents do not need credentials themselves. Homeschooling parents who are using the private school option do not need a California teaching credential. The statute says, very plainly, that the teacher in a private school (meaning any private school, large or small) must be "capable of teaching". It is obviously a very vague requirement, but we generally believe that anyone of reasonable intelligence and mental health who can read and write in English, even if they do not have a high school or college degree, may be "capable of teaching." Many homeschool teachers attend education conferences, read educational materials, and locate the resources they need in order to meet the "capable of teaching" requirement. In fact, teachers in giant parochial high schools don't need to hold credentials, either. They have to be "capable of teaching," and it is left to the private school administrators and the schools' customers to decide if they are. However, if you are using the tutoring option, you must have a valid California teaching credential for the subjects and grade levels of children that you will be teaching."
Private schools are included in the bill.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Are you really saying that vaccines are 100% safe with no serious risk of side effects? You are much more misinformed then I thought. Ever hear of the risk of intussusception connected to the rotavirus vaccine? GBS connected with the flu vaccine? Clearly you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. Repeating misinformation over and over again as you have done in this thread does not make your misinformation true. Vaccine preventable diseases are not risk free but neither are vaccines. Do some real research.
They can't even link injuries they award money for. They pay without being capable of showing cause. They have no idea if vaccines cause these reported injuries or not because they aren't that great at the science yet. Why would we mandate something we don't have the capability of determining effect from. STUPIDITY and it's just asking for trouble. It's not the first time drug companies ask for this kind of trouble and it sadly won't be the last.
Like I've stated, they just went through it with NSAIDS. It took long term real damage to humans before they believed the truth, they DO increase your risk of heart attacks and stroke, even at low dosages or first time users. I suspect one day we'll be smart enough to really know what injury and death vaccinations cause, but so far we just don't know. That's a lot different than proof it doesn't.

Last edited by PoppySead; 08-06-2015 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: ipad ug

Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times
Quote:
They can't even link injuries they award money for. They pay without being capable of showing cause. They have no idea if vaccines cause these reported injuries or not because they aren't that great at the science yet. Why would we mandate something we don't have the capability of determining effect from. STUPIDITY and it's just asking for trouble. It's not the first time drug companies ask for this kind of trouble and it sadly won't be the last.
Like I've stated, they just went through it with NSAIDS. It took long term real damage to humans before they believed the truth, they DO increase your risk of heart attacks and stroke, even at low dosages or first time users. I suspect one day we'll be smart enough to really know what injury and death vaccinations cause, but so far we just don't know. That's a lot different than proof it doesn't.
Anything you eat, drink or come in contact with would fail your test. Not a great way to go through life. Thinking there's a conspiracy doesn't make it true. We know unequivocally what they prevent and have thousands of studies that establish their safety, that's good enough for me. Cars kill thousands of people every day and yet most of us (the logical ones) still drive because the benefits outweigh the MUCH MORE significant risk than vaccinations cause. We get you don't understand that, frankly I don't care either way. I just hope more and more jurisdictions prevent unvaccinated kids from putting others at risk at school.

Quote:
Private schools are included in the bill.
We know, good thing too.

Quote:
Repeat post. Nobody said they're 100% safe. 1 in a million severe adverse reactions from childhood vaccines. Whatever you do don't let your kid ride a bike, skateboard, play tennis, swim. The risks of ANY of those are exponentially higher, without the benefit of preventing deadly diseases.

Your choice though. Watch the lead in the pencils when you're homeschooling

Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
I did the vast majority of my research years ago. I read tons of studies and the vast majority was from sources that you would approve of. The info was for me so I had no reason to save it or bookmark it. I made my decisions based on a ton of different pieces of information and after talking to several doctors, one naturopath and one chiropractor (sorry you don't believe in them, I do). I also looked into issues surrounding nutrition and illness. Lessing complications with herbs, food, etc. (again sorry you don't believe in that, I do). The info is out there and available to anyone who wishes to take the time to take an objective view on the issue. I have no desire or need to go back and find all of the info and compile it all for you now. There are risks to vaccinating and there are risks to not vaccination. Some vaccines make more sense then others. Neither decision is wrong and neither decision is easy.
Thank you. You can't and won't answer three highly relevant questions. We, who support vaccination, have spent hours on this thread citing medical journal articles, studies, and statements from the CDC. You do nothing, but sit here trying desperately to poke tiny holes in all of this. Anybody who has read this thread understands that by now. Comments like "vaccines are not 100% safe" are silly. Taking a bath isn't 100% safe. Plenty of people are injured falling in their shower. Not taking vaccines based on a statement like that makes as much sense as telling people to stop taking showers.

Quote:
Compromise as in not all vaccines? Not possible. Move to another state? Really? And this is not coercion or even force? When one choice becomes a burden then you are forced to chose the other. Is that true choice?
I have news for you. The real reason government exists is because coercion is needed to accomplish some purposes in our society. Coercion is needed to stop some people from victimizing others. Its needed to collect taxes to run government. Its needed to keep people from committing crimes. Its needed to make business behave ethically. The USA doesn't run on a libertarian or laisse faire model. The freedoms granted in our Constitution are set up to balance public interest against individual rights. There is a strong public interest in preventing the spread of infectious diseases. Hence, the courts have always upheld compulsory vaccination laws when that question has been put to them.

Quote:
Wow, now not vaccinating is akin to murder?

More kids die from getting a ride to school than walking, shall we mandate walking to school? Mandate Ritalin for those with ADHD?
Mandate all stay home until completely free of flu symptoms? Stomach viruses? That would be a lot of missed school but would be safer for those around school with Asthma or other issues that a cold or flu would aggravate.

How far we going to go with mandates? You people act like thousands of kids have been dying of Measles all around you. None have for years. Most people vaccinate. Outbreaks will happen regardless in CA because we have a lot of foreign travelers. Sometimes that's just life.

But what has changed is that vaccine makers are asking for incentives to making vaccines. Well, I guess they got what they paid for after paying the government of CA. Mandated capitalism in a for profit healthcare system. Just wait, it will hit everyone, not just those kids who don't want a shot. You'll get what you ask for soon enough. Adult mandates are just around the bend. I can't wait to see how willing all the adults are to have mandates imposed on them or they can just lose their jobs or get arrested. I think the tone will change soon.

Time will tell. I'll be watching from Arizona.
As has been said numerous times in this thread, no activity is a 100% safe. Many people die or are badly injured falling in their bathrooms. Mandates for vaccinations are different than a mandate to take ritalin because childhood vaccines are given to prevent infectious diseases which can spread to an entire community. You can rant all day long about the "for profit" health care system. What in America is not-for-profit? Like it or not, we have a capitalist system and the people who work in that sector of our economy are as entitled to be paid as anyone else. The compromise we have struck is that pharmaceutical industry is heavily regulated. You seem to think that the regulation in place is not sufficient. I have news for you. Another equally large group is angry that there is too much regulation and there is a lag getting effective drugs and medicines to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I wonder if in 50, 100 or 500 years those people will look back on us and laugh that we thought pumping ourselves full of junk would make us immune for diseases...just as we laugh at bloodletting. Bloodletting was the cure that doctors and scientists proclaimed as FACT to the masses!

Scientist used to say that a Brachiosaur was FACT!

Science used to say the universe was a constant.

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0...ienceworks_20y
Your link doesn't work. More importantly, your argument doesn't either. Cite respectable sources that actually deal with vaccines here if you expect anyone to pay attention to you.

Quote:
We have discussed the no-fault compensation system in place for vaccine injuries. This is something I want you to try and wrap your head around: The system that existed before the creation of the VCF in 1989 didn't work. It wasn't working for anyone including victims and most of the lawyers involved. When these cases came to trial in the tort system, the Plaintiffs lost virtually every case because they couldn't come up with the scientific testimony they needed to convince a jury that the vaccines were dangerous or defective. On the other hand, there were a handful of people who suffered allergic reactions to vaccines. The vaccine manufacturers could avoid liability for these injuries simply by handing everyone a disclaimer indicating that a few people who got the shot might suffer such a reaction. One great accomplishment of the VCF is that this group of people now receives compensation. These allergic reactions are the major injuries that people sought to address through a compensation system and now they are being addressed. You don't seem to understand what the real issues were with the old and new compensation systems.

Round and round we go. Where we stop, nobody knows....

Last edited by markg91359; 08-06-2015 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events