Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 02:21 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And, he has his degree in chemistry, biology and ? No wait, he dropped out of school at age 15. I'll take a pass on his opinions.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:23 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's interesting that it seems the ONLY time people have a problem with outspoken celebrities is when they disagree with their stance.

Personally, I give a lot of credit to celebs who realize that by virtue of having increased visibility, they have an opportunity to draw attention to the issues they're passionate about ... whether I agree with them or not. It's better than the vapid celebs who do nothing but look pretty.
Yes, but not if those views are completely, scientifically wrong. The autism link to vaccines has been soundly disproven, and the so-called "dangers" of current vaccines have never been demonstrated - and as a person with some public influence, Jim Carrey needs to stop spreading mis-information.

Disagreeing with one of his opinions, and disagreeing with a comment he makes that is completely WRONG, are two different things. Here, his comments weren't his opinion, they were factually wrong.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What does this have to do with liberals?

As far as I'm concerned, vaccination is NOT a partisan issue. And for the record, some of the most vehement and passionate anti-vaxxers I've met have been politically conservative home-schooling Christians.
Jim Carey and Gov. Brown are both liberals is what it has to do with liberals.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Jim Carey and Gov. Brown are both liberals is what it has to do with liberals.
Yes, and they have opposing viewpoints regarding vaccination.

What's your point?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I would say there is definately an angle there. A parent is not allowed to fear a child with HIV (and Im not saying they should), but must fear a child that has not been vaccinated against less severe diseases?

That seems like a reasonable question.

Im not saying they would necessarily win - but its not insane either.
For all these other posters also, I am a retired Public School Special Ed Para who worked in both NY and Florida. I was never asked, nor required to show MY vaccination records. I refused that Hep. B vax myself and never saw any staff roll up their sleeves for that in either state. Your California law does not apply to TEACHERS. lol Adults irrelevant?

I worked 1:1 in Public School with an unvaccinated child. I was interviewed before if I objected. Nope. Same with his classroom teacher. Only Administration and US (HIPPA) even knew he was. His parents and I were on the same page with CHOICE, as was his teacher.

So to those other posters, yapping that this isn't about ADULTS, do you know if your child's teacher or lunch lady is fully vaccinated? It might surprise you. You better start getting your legislators to MANDATE Adult Vaccinations for EMPLOYMENT in K-12 too.

I do know at one school where I worked their were HIV kids, but under HIPPA, if I didn't work directly with them, it was not my right to know. It was the same when 3 kids in the school who got measles. They did not close the school for this. I had no right to know who they were. Terrified? No, because I had measles, not the vaccination. It was the staff who had the vaccinations who were afraid and running out for boosters. Read between the lines of that.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabush View Post
Once people get a lot of money than others it goes to their head and they start thinking success in their area means their opinion on other matters hold merit.

Hollywood actors are the worst with this because they are usually uneducated, picked at a young age for their looks and lack of shame in front of a camera. They literally have nothing to offer the world off camera, which makes many of them mentally unstable and depressed.
Example one Tom Cruise, Example Two Mel Gibson, its amazing people that successful can be that mentally ill as well

Old 07-01-2015, 03:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So what was the punch line?

Old 07-01-2015, 03:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
First off, I think it is the right thing to do. I remember basically needing to be immunized in New York back in the 1980's and 1990's in order to attend public school.

I was just watching The Lead with Jake Tapper on CNN and honestly the celebrities b****in' and moanin' about the immunizations were wrong and going for holes rather than the whole picture like the one complaining about Heptatis B vaccines for babies because it is common for one to get it through sexual activity and drug use.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:24 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They have an option if they so strongly object to vaccinations - homeschool. It really is that simple. You want government services? You have to follow government rules.

Where exactly is it in the constitution that they have a right to public education? Education isn't mentioned in the constitution and public education, free or otherwise, did not exist when the constitution was written.
It is in the California constituion:
https://oag.ca.gov/publications/CRhandbook/ch6

Homeschool is not a real "option" for many kids. This is like saying if you don't want to be searched by the police then you have the option of staying in your house all the time. It infringes on your rights and it is no real option, just extortion.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I didn't know Carrey was a doctor or a scientist.

Just another actor past his prime trying to remain relevant.
He used to bang what's-her-name, Jennie something, who was the ringleader for the anti vac crowd. These people are idiots. Vaccines are the only, let me repeat that, ONLY form of medicine that has eradicated disease, rather than profited from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events