Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 PM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Do note the first link says "MAY" account for. . . This has not yet been proven.

The second link discusses a "respected scientist" who claims no one is listening to him. I take a dim view of such claims. And note he doesn't say quit vaccinating; he says we need a better vaccine.

The third is similar.

In late 2013, the research showed that failure to vaccinate was one cause of the California epidemic of 2013.
Vaccine Refusals Fueled California's Whooping Cough Epidemic : Shots - Health News : NPR
Vaccinate WHO? I posted the CDC's link on the latest vaccination rates for adults. Or do you just ASSUME that all adults are getting Pertussis boosters? If parents are refusing vaccinations for their children, are they vaccinating THEMSELVES? Are all parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbors fully up to date on Petussis boosters around newborns too young to be vaccinated themselves? Parents who refuse vaccinations for all their kids will be asking family and friend to vaccinate themselves for Pertussis? These views do not run in familes, including the older generations?

Do hospitals require all visitors who come to see newborns to show they are fully up-to-date on their adult vaccinations? No. They do not even require masks and gowns anymore to hold the newborn in the mother's room. I guess today with all the PANIC over diseases hospital regulations have gotten MORE lax.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Another teenage girl dies only days after flu symptoms appear | Q13 FOX News

Scroll down. She had the flu shot the day before. There have been others. Also teen girls deaths from Gadasil. These make LOCAL but not National News because do you seriously think a Drug Mfg. wants to put on their ad for Shingles or Flu shots after a news report of a death from one of their products? ANY of their products? Pharmaceuticals are the biggest advertisers on TV today.

People pass around these reports on social media about these deaths. NEWS programs. Dr. Mercola is making this up? Are you aware that parents of children who had severe reactions, not just autism, go on social media and tell their stories also. Do you want to stop the NEWS stories reporting this? Only show disease outbreaks of unvaccinated people? That would be biased journalism. Report the news; good or bad to either side. People don't have the right to know and make up their own minds? They can ONLY hear one side of the issue? So your child will NEVER have a severe reaction to any medication, including vaccinations? They are MEDICATIONS and WILL have adverse reactions in some people. That IS a fact. They are not 100% safe. So what if your kid dies or has severe complications from vaccine if it is for the "greater good of society" by protecting the Herd? Whose life is worth more? Only the vaccinated kids?
So much misinformation in one post...

• Dr. Mercola making things up? - YES unequivocally
  • Yes parents tell "stories" on social media, doesn't make them science or fact
  • News should show both vaccinated and unvaccinated illnesses as it reinforces the need for "herd immunity"
  • 1 in one million chance of severe reaction to vaccine - prevents at least 14 life threatening illnesses in both the vaccinated child and those with underdeveloped or compromised immune systems they come in contact with
  • No medicine is 100% safe, so I assume you've never taken any medicine, ever.. Oh, I forgot, you claim to have a superhuman immune system
  • In fact, I would hold the parents of an unvaccinated kid (who was healthy enough to receive it) completely and totally responsible for the death of their child and anyone they infected - and boy do I wish the law would allow those who deliberately spread misinformation (including on forums like this) to be held accountable (or at a minimum liable for contributory negligence for spreading information they KNOW to be false)
You keep claiming big pharma is in it for the money. The anti-vax movement just cares about people. Here's your hero "Dr" Mercola's home - boy would he have a lot to lose if people paid attention to science!

There's no conspiracy, let it go.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm sure you've seen the study by Fritz Mooi before. The mutation was proven in another country. The study is older so it's plausible to think that by now that mutation could have also occurred in the USA as the article that uses the word "may" suggests. The study used to be accessible via internet and on the CDC website. I guess you can only find it on paper now. He is a well respected scientist. Too bad you think dimly of him just because his findings differ from what you'd like them to be and because he is frustrated that his concerns are being ignored. Interesting how peer reviewed and published studies just disappear from the internet when they don't 100% favor vaccines. I've seen several instances of it.
A search asking if Mooi's work had been replicated yielded no answer to that question. That is the "proof of the pudding". Meanwhile, his work has mostly been cited in anti-immunzation websites. He says no one is listening to him. Everyone that anti-vaxers is "well respected" a "lead scientist", etc. If you think the mutation has occurred in the USA, post a link. Meanwhile, much credible research is showing that failure to vaccinate is a driver of the pertussis epidemics in California.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
A search asking if Mooi's work had been replicated yielded no answer to that question. That is the "proof of the pudding". Meanwhile, his work has mostly been cited in anti-immunzation websites. He says no one is listening to him. Everyone that anti-vaxers is "well respected" a "lead scientist", etc. If you think the mutation has occurred in the USA, post a link. Meanwhile, much credible research is showing that failure to vaccinate is a driver of the pertussis epidemics in California.
Hmmm. I was just looking up whether or not any researcher had ever repeated the work of a doctor who claimed to have cured over thirty cases of polio with mega-doses of vitamin C. Nothing so far, so I'm thinking the vaccine is a better choice.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Vaccinate WHO? I posted the CDC's link on the latest vaccination rates for adults. Or do you just ASSUME that all adults are getting Pertussis boosters? If parents are refusing vaccinations for their children, are they vaccinating THEMSELVES? Are all parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbors fully up to date on Petussis boosters around newborns too young to be vaccinated themselves? Parents who refuse vaccinations for all their kids will be asking family and friend to vaccinate themselves for Pertussis? These views do not run in familes, including the older generations?

Do hospitals require all visitors who come to see newborns to show they are fully up-to-date on their adult vaccinations? No. They do not even require masks and gowns anymore to hold the newborn in the mother's room. I guess today with all the PANIC over diseases hospital regulations have gotten MORE lax.
The article is talking about kindergartner's immunizations. Here is a link to the original research.
Nonmedical Vaccine Exemptions and Pertussis in California, 2010

As for all your questions, I'm getting tired of being asked if I assume all adults are UTD on their pertussis. I've answered this question many times over and I'm done. Do a search of my posts if you're so interested. And you're misinterpreting, well, just about everything I've said. I'm talking about CA's pertussis epidemic of 2010, not to be confused with their epidemic of 2014, or this one particular baby that is also being discussed. Do keep in mind, re: boosters, that until 2005 there was no adult pertussis booster available, and CA didn't start requiring it until 2011, after the first epidemic.
State Mandates on Immunization and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases: Tdap

Old 07-07-2015, 02:40 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
I support enforced vaccination and not just to keep other children safe. The elderly population is at risk by children not being properly vaccinated when they expose someone at risk for shingles, too.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Oh, I agree. More people should get it. But people are more likely to get a tetanus shot than whooping cough, so hopefully the number of those vaccinated will rise.
The pertussis vaccine is a part of the tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis combination vaccine. (Tdap). There is no single-antigen tetanus vaccine available in the US. When people say they are getting (or got) a tetanus shot, they mean either Td, or Tdap.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:42 PM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Oh, I agree. More people should get it. But people are more likely to get a tetanus shot than whooping cough, so hopefully the number of those vaccinated will rise.
Not everyone thinks like you do. My husband cut off the tip of his finger using an electric saw a couple of years ago. Never went to the ER and just taped it up until it stopped bleeding. No ER or tetanus shot.

40 years ago I stepped on a rusty nail in a cemetery. Embedded it my foot. Pulled it out and bled like a mother. Just put peroxide on it and band aids until it stopped bleeding. Cannot count over the past 40 years how many times I have cut myself inside and outside the house. Never had a vaccination.

Before any of the "health professionals" come on talking about my superhuman "family", my husband is not like this with MANLY accidents. Macho deal with it attitude. Every other little ache and pain sends him running to doctors.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So the transmission of pertussis occurred in a doctor's office because the 5 year old was being treated? How is that the fault of the child or the child's parents? This didn't occur at a school so should unvaccinated kids and adults be banned from receiving treatment too? Does the doctor's office not have any fault in the spread because transmission of pertussis is direct contact.

"People with pertussis usually spread the disease by coughing or sneezing while in close contact with others, who then breathe in the pertussis bacteria." Source: CDC

However, pertussis can survive outside the body for several days but is very susceptible to solutions of chlorine and alcohol. Did the doctor's office not wipe down surfaces? Did the mother of the baby sit next to the coughing 5 year old? Did the mother of the baby allow the child to chew on tables, chairs, etc.? Did the doctor use non-sterile equipment when examining the baby?

How exactly was it transmitted? How is the 5 year old or their parents fully responsible? There are other factors involved. As a parent, it is my responsibility to cover my baby if there is a coughing child or adult near by. It is the doctor's responsibility to wipe down all surfaces after a child is diagnosed with pertussis.

I don't expect the rest of the crowd to protect me or my kids, that is all on me.
The unvaccinated child showed up at the doctor's office with pertussis. S/he should have been vaccinated with five doses of the vaccine by age 5. Doctor's offices do try to keep the sick and well patients separated, but it doesn't always work. I called back a suspected pertussis case one day to find him sitting on the well side near a newborn! When I said I thought I'd find him on the other side, the mother said it wasn't for certain he had pertussis.

Quit blaming the doctor's office and the parents of the child who got sick. Pertussis is quite contagious. Five year olds have terrible cough hygiene. It's more likely the child with pertussis and his/her mother sat down next to the newborn and coughed on him than the other way around. A one month old wouldn't be chewing on tables and chairs. Parents of newborns almost always have them all covered up at my office. Do you think doctor's offices don't know how to handle contagious diseases? I guess the answer to that question is "yes".

Old 07-07-2015, 02:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
When I had my newborns in for their early visits, my husband and I both attended, so one of us could stay in the car until an examination room was ready. People thought we were weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events