Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
How do you know? You act like you know every single "anti-vaxxer" in CA and all of their financial details. It's the most absurd argument you've ever made.
Multiple studies have shown the same thing. The staunch vaccine refusers are not poor.

Expression of privilege in vaccine refusal | Newsroom | University of Colorado Denver

"Reich’s research shows that unvaccinated or under-vaccinated children from higher income backgrounds, with parents who are higher educated, have parents who intentionally choose to refuse or delay vaccinations out of a belief that they are protecting their children. On the other hand, children from families with lower incomes and with less-educated parents tend to be under-vaccinated because they lack access to resources."

“ 'Vaccine-refusers see themselves as experts on their own children and question the relevance of public health claims that vaccines are necessary for all children,' said Reich. 'They trust that "mother’s intuition," alongside their own personal research, is the best way to protect their children from potential harm.' ”

"On the other hand, mothers in low-income families often do not have time to consider individual choices around vaccination. If their children are under-vaccinated it is more likely due to lack of access to medical care. This same lack of health care access makes poor children who are under-vaccinated potentially more vulnerable to health risks as rates of vaccine-preventable diseases continue to rise."

http://www.xojane.com/issues/vaccina...hite-privilege

"Basically: It takes money and time to refuse vaccinations. And it’s a lack of that same money and time that often unintentionally keeps parents from fully vaccinating their children."

Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Please do provide one or more links. I would be interested in reading any research studies indicating this is the case.
Here's a few. PLOS ONE: Self-Organized Criticality Theory of Autoimmunity
Recombinant hepatitis B vaccine and the risk of multiple sclerosis
Ten cases of systemic lupus erythematosus related to hepatitis B vaccine. - PubMed - NCBI
Rheumatoid Arthritis and Swine Influenza Vaccine: A Case Report

Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Multiple studies have shown the same thing. The staunch vaccine refusers are not poor.

Expression of privilege in vaccine refusal | Newsroom | University of Colorado Denver

"Reich’s research shows that unvaccinated or under-vaccinated children from higher income backgrounds, with parents who are higher educated, have parents who intentionally choose to refuse or delay vaccinations out of a belief that they are protecting their children. On the other hand, children from families with lower incomes and with less-educated parents tend to be under-vaccinated because they lack access to resources."

“ 'Vaccine-refusers see themselves as experts on their own children and question the relevance of public health claims that vaccines are necessary for all children,' said Reich. 'They trust that "mother’s intuition," alongside their own personal research, is the best way to protect their children from potential harm.' ”

"On the other hand, mothers in low-income families often do not have time to consider individual choices around vaccination. If their children are under-vaccinated it is more likely due to lack of access to medical care. This same lack of health care access makes poor children who are under-vaccinated potentially more vulnerable to health risks as rates of vaccine-preventable diseases continue to rise."

"Basically: It takes money and time to refuse vaccinations. And it’s a lack of that same money and time that often unintentionally keeps parents from fully vaccinating their children."
I guess I'm not an "anti-vaxxer" then. Neither are at least a handful of people I know who don't vaccinate for everything on the schedule. I'll let them know that their income precludes them from the label. You can stop referring to me with that label from now on as well.

Oh and if the CA legislation makes it way to our state I will let them all know that they can just quit their jobs and homeschool. Income doesn't matter. I'm sure my single mom friends will be relieved to know. If they ask how it can be done on such a limited income I'll let them know that Suzy q from CD said everyone can do it. It's so easy.

There in lies the problem with always believing experts and studies over real people. Sometimes it makes you out of touch with reality and so very wrong.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:50 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:

Just my own personal experience, all it took was switching from a Pediatrician to an "adult" GP to stop the nagging about Hep. B vaccinations for both my kids, and ME (said I NEEDED too), back then. When you have health insurance, it will cover both. That GP never said a damned thing about vaccinations for my kids because his practice was more for adults. Actually, he never got my kids records from the other doctor because they wanted me to PAY THEM to send the records, and I refused. New doctor just took them without their records, solely on my word of mouth history. FYI, that was husband's doctor they went to. Did not have to spend time "searching" for a different doctor. He was not my doctor. Maybe different world 30 years ago, but only in some ways. The poor might have problems, but if you think it is only the rich people, try again. The middle class has ways too. Yes, this legislation will affect the poor family, far more than the middle class, and certainly not the rich.

It did not take a lot of money or time to find a different doctor and one not pushing vaccinations. Just insurance to pay for either.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:51 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, it's not that simple because Pertussis vaccination in childhood does not last a lifetime. Have you gotten your booster?
TDaP. I sure have. Along with hepatitus vaccinations and a tetanus booster. And because I didn't have the records with me of having measles when I was younger, I ended up getting two vaccinations (once at college and once going into the Army Reserve) for measles. I also got a flu shot last year because I was in the hospital having stents put in a brain artery.

Quote:
I think my eyes just rolled out of my head. *running after eyes as they roll down the sidewalk*

Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Thank you. I look forward to reading them.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Yeah and they have to hire someone to watch their kids when they are at work. School aged kids are typically too old to be in group care. Hiring a nanny is much more expensive. You don't get it.
They have to deal with child care whether the kids are vaccinated or not. Families with working parents - single or married - do home school.

Quote:
There is some evidence that some vaccines trigger autoimmune disorders. The measles vaccine has been shown to damage the immune system for a long period of time post vaccination. It's a live vaccine.
Measles vaccine does not impair the immune system. Measles disease does.

Princeton University - A deadly shadow: Measles may weaken immune system up to three years

" 'We already knew that measles attacks immune memory, and that it was immunosuppressive for a short amount of time. But this paper suggests that immune suppression lasts much longer than previously suspected,' said C. Jessica Metcalf, an assistant professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at Princeton who worked on the study. 'In other words, if you get measles, three years down the road, you could die from something that you would not die from had you not been infected with measles.' "

Measles vaccine prevents that long term suppression of the immune system, which does not happen with the vaccine itself.

Measles Vaccine Reduces Death From Other Infections Too -- By Preventing 'Immune Amnesia' - Forbes

" 'Our results show that when measles was common, measles virus infections could have been implicated in as many as half of all childhood deaths from infectious disease,' the authors wrote. 'The reduction of measles virus infections was the main factor in reducing overall childhood infectious disease mortality after the introduction of vaccination.' Further, because vaccination provided a population (herd) immunity against measles, that meant that, in effect, 'measles vaccination might also be preserving herd protection against non-measles infections.'

Eliminating measles with the vaccine is a triple win: less measles, less death from other diseases in individuals and less infections overall within a highly vaccinated population."

Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Measles vaccine does not impair the immune system. Measles disease does.

Princeton University - A deadly shadow: Measles may weaken immune system up to three years
With all due respect, Suzy, because I really do believe vaccinations are necessary for protection of the public health, autoimmunity and immunosuppression are very different issues.

It's anecdotal, of course, but I was never sick as a child. Ever. While my school friends were repeatedly down with childhood infections, I was strikingly free of similar maladies. In hindsight, that may have been an early indication that something was awry.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I think my eyes just rolled out of my head. *running after eyes as they roll down the sidewalk*
Your loss. I won't feel sorry for you when you get shingles since you refuse to educate yourself.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:11 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Darling, I've already had shingles. And I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. The point is, I may not have had them at all or their severity would have been reduced if I had had the vaccine instead of chicken pox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events