Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 11:17 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
All people who don't vax aren't rich. But all those who don't vax can send their children to public school by making a simple trip or two to the doctor's office or their local pharmacy.

The situation can be easily rectified by doing what the rest of us have done for years without incident.

I have no doubt that that is what most anti-vaccinators will do when reality strikes in the month of August just before school starts.
Actually, if you read the bill you would see that it doesn't go into effect until 2016 school year and even then there are exceptions. If your kid is in 9th grade, for example, they can finish out the remaining years without getting vaccinated.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:16 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
On the other hand, if the government does not send tutors to homes to help children who can't attend school because they aren't vaccinated, then the government would be denying them an education.
There may be teachers who drop off work for public school children who are ill and cannot attend, but those teachers do not provide one on one tutoring and that is not intended to be the sole education a child gets.

The government must provide the opportunity for a child to get a public education. All the parents have to do is vaccinate the child and send him to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The homeschoolers could enroll in online schooling but a school district would not send a private teacher or tutor to a child's home at the tax payer's expense. Any expense to hire a tutor or to enroll in an online school would be on the homeschooling family. Some people like Suzy think that all people who don't vax are rich and can afford to quit jobs to homeschool but she's not living in reality.
You think everyone who home schools is rich?

The average vaccine refuser is a college educated woman whose family income is $75,000. Poor people are not refusing to vaccinate their children. Missed vaccines are more often due to lack of access in that demographic, though poor people can get free vaccines.

I already posted far up thread resources that are available for single parents who want to home school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Incidentally, if the government can keep children out of schools because their parents did not raise the kids the way the government dictates, can we do this with other children also?

There is a great deal of research indicating that children who are regularly exposed to violent TV programs, movies, and video games are more likely to commit violence, due to desensitization. Can the government ban children from attending school if their parents let them watch that stuff?

Personally, I worry more about my daughter attending school with kids who watch violent rated-R movies than kids that haven't been vaccinated. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm sure we can come up with several other examples of cases where government could ban certain children from schools due to poor choices by their parents. Would this be a good thing? Should states be allowed to deny an education to children if their parents don't follow rules dictated by their local governments?

What other children should be kicked out of schools?
If you could dictate which families should not be allowed to send their children to school, which types would it be? Should we ban children from school if somebody in their family has a criminal record? What about kids who come from families with unpopular religious beliefs?
This is getting back to the notion that we should not have vaccine mandates because there are other social problems. Those problems have nothing to do with vaccines. Each problem must be addressed on its own merits and a suitable approach developed to deal with it. Mandates help with the problem of declining herd immunity due to declining vaccination rates.

Other social problems can be dealt with in other ways.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
That's an interesting point about vaccine refusal among highly-educated and highly-compensated families. I've lived in two places with appallingly-low childhood vaccination rates. Both were very affluent.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
All people who don't vax aren't rich. But all those who don't vax can send their children to public school by making a simple trip or two to the doctor's office or their local pharmacy.
You make it sound like they weren't vaccinating for everything because it wasn't law, not because they had serious concerns. You are essentially forcing all of these parents with serious concerns to choose between vaccinating and putting food on their table. That is force.

Quote:
The situation can be easily rectified by doing what the rest of us have done for years without incident.
Except vaccines aren't risk free and there are many who have vaccinated WITH incident.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Slippery slope is a logical fallacy. This law should be evaluated on its own merits.
Denial that slippery slope exists is a logical fallacy.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

You think everyone who home schools is rich?
Nope. But those who homeschool need to be able to make enough to have one parent stay home with the kids or be able to hire someone to stay home with them while they work.

Quote:
The average vaccine refuser is a college educated woman whose family income is $75,000. Poor people are not refusing to vaccinate their children. Missed vaccines are more often due to lack of access in that demographic, though poor people can get free vaccines.
Average. I thought you understood statistics.

Quote:
I already posted far up thread resources that are available for single parents who want to home school.
Just because some can make it work does not mean all can make it work. It's absurd that you continue to insist otherwise.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Geesch, how know many baths I gave my own kids when both of them had chicken pox? I touched them countless times. That neither gave me chicken pox (again), nor shingles.

Neither chicken pox nor shingles is an air borne disease. The pox must be touched. The oozing (only when oozing) rash of shingles must be touched for somebody to catch chicken pox. You cannot catch shingles, if you had chicken pox yourself, even if you DO touch the rash. Been there, done that on my husband's back. lol Your own body brings it on; not other people.

Far too many people do not know their OWN science on these diseases.
All your kids gave you by exposing you to chickenpox was a boost to your immune system that ultimately helped your body to suppress shingles.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:38 PM

379 posts, read 359,237 times
Shingles is chickenpox, dormant in your nervous system. A person who gets chickenpox still has the virus inside of them, waiting to be re-activated. A person with shingles can also pass the virus on to anyone who is not immune.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You make it sound like they weren't vaccinating for everything because it wasn't law, not because they had serious concerns. You are essentially forcing all of these parents with serious concerns to choose between vaccinating and putting food on their table. That is force.

Except vaccines aren't risk free and there are many who have vaccinated WITH incident.

Prior to the law being passed, the majority of parents were forced to send their kids to school with kids who were not immunized due to parental fear, and they were the ones with serious concerns.

The law has been passed. Your options are limited, but include home schooling or moving to a state that doesn't have this law (yet).

Old 07-05-2015, 12:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Well, that should make the anti-transplant Coloradoans very happy (I am not one of them), because we're cracking down, too! Quick, somebody send a note to Jazz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events