Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 03:14 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The unvaccinated child showed up at the doctor's office with pertussis. S/he should have been vaccinated with five doses of the vaccine by age 5. Doctor's offices do try to keep the sick and well patients separated, but it doesn't always work. I called back a suspected pertussis case one day to find him sitting on the well side near a newborn! When I said I thought I'd find him on the other side, the mother said it wasn't for certain he had pertussis.

Quit blaming the doctor's office and the parents of the child who got sick. Pertussis is quite contagious. Five year olds have terrible cough hygiene. It's more likely the child with pertussis and his/her mother sat down next to the newborn and coughed on him than the other way around. A one month old wouldn't be chewing on tables and chairs. Parents of newborns almost always have them all covered up at my office. Do you think doctor's offices don't know how to handle contagious diseases? I guess the answer to that question is "yes".
When I went with my daughter for my Grandson's first checkup, we were ushered into an examination room, no well or sick rooms. Nurse said that all newborns must wait in exam rooms and not be around other children.Took a long time and we took turns staying with baby and out in waiting room.

Neither of us adults had a Pertussis booster. Many a time when my kids were little I took them for a physical when I myself was sick and coughing and sneezing, and they weren't. Cancel the appointment because Mommy is sick? I just stayed in the Well check up room with them. Would you tell a sick parent to leave? Separate a mother from her kids?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So the transmission of pertussis occurred in a doctor's office because the 5 year old was being treated? How is that the fault of the child or the child's parents? This didn't occur at a school so should unvaccinated kids and adults be banned from receiving treatment too? Does the doctor's office not have any fault in the spread because transmission of pertussis is direct contact.
It's the parents fault for not vaccinating their kid. I don't know if the infected child had direct contact with the baby or not. Even in situations where there are separate well and sick waiting rooms, there are still common areas.

And yes, more and more doctors and medical offices are refusing to see children who are not vaccinated. This story has been making the rounds lately on my local news:

Austin Regional Clinic won’t accept unvaccinated children | KXAN.com

Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When I went with my daughter for my Grandson's first checkup, we were ushered into an examination room, no well or sick rooms. Nurse said that all newborns must wait in exam rooms and not be around other children.Took a long time and we took turns staying with baby and out in waiting room.

Neither of us adults had a Pertussis booster. Many a time when my kids were little I took them for a physical when I myself was sick and coughing and sneezing, and they weren't. Cancel the appointment because Mommy is sick? I just stayed in the Well check up room with them. Would you tell a sick parent to leave? Separate a mother from her kids?
I think it's a good idea to get the baby back into an exam room right away.

Re: the bold-sure. I'm Cruella DeVille, RN! Good Grief!

We often ask patients with suspected communicable diseases to quickly sign in, and then wait right outside the door (which is mostly glass and therefore see-through) until we're ready to call them back. We take them in a back door and put them in a room, send them out the same way. We also have people wear masks if coughing, parents and kids alike.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

If I were a doctor I'd refuse to treat you and your unvaccinated petri dishes. Want to "build your immune system the old fashioned way"? Stay out of the doctors' office entirely.

I am really curious, for someone who doesn't believe anything the medical or scientific community says, why even go for a checkup?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 PM

840 posts, read 772,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
IF VACCINES ARE SO GOOD WHY WOULD THIS BE THE CASE??

Answer please...
I've had that question for some time. . .

Regarding children & adults who have been vaccinated . . .

How can an unvaccinated person carrying what they were vaccinated against cause them harm . . . ?

Assuming that the vaccines actually work in the first place, of course.

If the people getting vaccinated truly believe that the vaccinations protect them, why are they concerned about being around people who have not been vaccinated?

People traveling to other countries are required to have certain vaccinations before qualifying to get their passports. They are then allowed into other countries because it is believed that the vaccinations work to keep them from contracting the feared illness & contaminating people in the other countries. It follows that --if that is the case for travelers-- it should also be for school children, too. . . .

When vaccinated they should be protected against whatever they were vaccinated for.
(Assuming that the vaccinations actually work.)

It therefore seems that those who are so strongly for vaccination don't have much confidence in its effectiveness. Which leads to the question . . . Why are they so for it in the first place . . . ?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post

How can an unvaccinated person carrying what they were vaccinated against cause them harm . . . ?

If the people getting vaccinated truly believe that the vaccinations protect them, why are they concerned about being around people who have not been vaccinated?

People traveling to other countries are required to have certain vaccinations before qualifying to get their passports. They are then allowed into other countries because it is believed that the vaccinations work to keep them from contracting the feared illness & contaminating people in the other countries. It follows that --if that is the case for travelers-- it should also be for school children, too. . . .

When vaccinated they should be protected against whatever they were vaccinated for.

It therefore seems that those who are so strongly for vaccination don't have much confidence in its effectiveness. Which leads to the question . . . Why are they so for it in the first place . . . ?
That's a favorite of the anti-vaxers. They think it's a "gotcha".

The woman who died in Oregon (see upthread) is one reason it's concerning to pro-vaxers than anti-vaxers don't vaccinate. The immunocompromised can get these diseases even if previously vaccinated because their immune systems are not healthy.

Children not old enough to get immunized can get the diseases. That happened to a few at Disney.

Some few people do not develop immunity to the vaccines. With measles, that's about 3% after receipt of two doses.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:44 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post

No one contends that vaccinations are 100% effective 100% of the time. But if you look at the number of people who contracted diseases before the introduction of the vaccine and the number who contracted it after the vaccine was introduced, it's pretty obvious that they are effective. No medicine is 100% effective, whether it's vaccines, birth control, or chemotherapy. But that doesn't mean that we should just get rid of all medicines. And as has been pointed out already, not everyone CAN be vaccinated even if they wanted to be.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:03 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
A search asking if Mooi's work had been replicated yielded no answer to that question. That is the "proof of the pudding". Meanwhile, his work has mostly been cited in anti-immunzation websites. He says no one is listening to him. Everyone that anti-vaxers is "well respected" a "lead scientist", etc. If you think the mutation has occurred in the USA, post a link. Meanwhile, much credible research is showing that failure to vaccinate is a driver of the pertussis epidemics in California.
The CDC is an anti-immunization website? They had the info from his study on their website for quite some time.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:03 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Children not vaccinated put others at risk. I don't have a problem with this..
Short, sweet, and oh, so true.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The CDC is an anti-immunization website? They had the info from his study on their website for quite some time.
Not today. And I don't know what that previous info said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events