Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I think most people accept that the cops violated transport safety procedures and failed to get timely medical aid.

Is it your opinion so far that he was beaten by one or more cops while he was in the van; that the ride without being buckled in caused Gray to be thrown around to cause the injuries; or don't you have an opinion on that ?
BBM

No, I don't believe he was beaten at any time.

I do believe, possibly the initial take down (one witness described an officer kneeling on the back of FG's neck) is where it began.

Then the 'throwing' FG into the van, on his stomach, still hogtied, while the alleged rough ride, asking multiple times for medical assistance being bounced around unsecured, all contributed to this young man's spinal cord severing, I have no clue on how the larynx was crushed.

Or more commonly known as the snowball effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:11 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I've wondered if maybe he experienced seizures in the back of the van. That might explain some of his injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Possible. Like if he swallowed his packet of heroin when caught dealing in the street?
People having seizures so violent as to break their spinal column often ask for medical help (just so you know, that was sarcasm).

(several of the charges stem from the officers refusing Gray's call for medical help - that wasn't sarcasm)

Old 05-02-2015, 10:20 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
probably because they held them too long without charging them and couldn't legally hold them any longer. They will still have the option of obtaining a warrant and arresting them later, but you can't just keep people in jail for days without charging them, setting bail and arraigning them on the charges. We are, after all, a nation of laws.
You are correct; they could not detain them longer than 48 hours without charging them. And yes, we have rule of law and can't have arbitrary arrests for indefinite periods.

But if we assume they were picked up for a reason, for example for throwing rocks or caught in the act of looting, and not just for standing there watching and maybe shouting expletives at the cops, then why weren't any charges filed? I know that dozens are still under arrest with charges filed, but why were over a hundred people arrested in the first place if they did nothing to warrant charges being filed?

My point is, it was mighty fast justice when it came to those six cops. Round them up, work up some credible-sounding charges, and announce it to the press as fast as possible, obviously to calm down the crowds and--they hope--stop the rioting and looting.

As for rioters and looters, they broke the law, too. If police witnessed them doing it, and arrested them, they should be charged and eventually prosecuted. Remember -- we are, after all, a nation of laws.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:55 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I think most people accept that the cops violated transport safety procedures and failed to get timely medical aid.

Is it your opinion so far that he was beaten by one or more cops while he was in the van;
Of course he was.

Not just a beating, but a freaking torture session.

How come the cops didn't put the second suspect in the transport van with Gray? There was more than enough room.

Quote:
that the ride without being buckled in caused Gray to be thrown around to cause the injuries; or don't you have an opinion on that ?

Crushed his voicebox and tore 80% of his spine? From a "rough ride"? Really?

Lol

Old 05-02-2015, 11:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You are correct; they could not detain them longer than 48 hours without charging them. And yes, we have rule of law and can't have arbitrary arrests for indefinite periods.

But if we assume they were picked up for a reason, for example for throwing rocks or caught in the act of looting, and not just for standing there watching and maybe shouting expletives at the cops, then why weren't any charges filed? I know that dozens are still under arrest with charges filed, but why were over a hundred people arrested in the first place if they did nothing to warrant charges being filed?

My point is, it was mighty fast justice when it came to those six cops. Round them up, work up some credible-sounding charges, and announce it to the press as fast as possible, obviously to calm down the crowds and--they hope--stop the rioting and looting.

As for rioters and looters, they broke the law, too. If police witnessed them doing it, and arrested them, they should be charged and eventually prosecuted. Remember -- we are, after all, a nation of laws.
They weren't charged because some people in the PD didn't do their job..it happens, but that does not mean those people can't be charged again and a warrant issued for their arrest. As far as 'fast justice', it's been 3 weeks since the incident, how long do you think they should have waited to charge them?

Old 05-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Statement from Borough President Diaz
RE: Freddie
Gray

"Though the overwhelming majority of the men and women of our nation’s police
departments are hardworking, law-abiding and serve our communities with pride
and passion, we have seen too many cases in recent history where the community
has not felt that justice was served when it comes to cases of police
misbehavior and brutality. I want to thank State Attorney Marilyn Mosby, the
chief prosecutor for Baltimore, and her entire department for taking the due
diligence and having the courage to indict those officers involved in the death
of Freddie Gray. As we protest, we must not let violence diminish our call for
justice. I look forward to the finding of this investigation," said Borough
President Diaz.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:49 PM

675 posts, read 723,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I have a hard time believing that it was homicide and an illegal arrest, but we'll see.
I would not call it a homicide. Sounds like somebody is showboating. Illegal arrest ? I still don't know what the probable cause was.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Old 05-02-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:

BALTIMORE, Maryland – Freddie Gray, the 25-year-old black man who died of a
severe spinal injury a week after being taken into police custody, was detained
for the alleged possession of a switchblade, according to a charging document
obtained by msnbc.

Gray was arrested on April 12 and died a week later on April 19. The Gray
family’s attorney has alleged that Gray suffered fatal injuries during his
transport in police custody.

Gray “fled unprovoked upon noticing police presence,” according to the
document, written by Officer G. Miller. “The defendant was apprehended in the
1700 block of Presbury St. after a brief foot chase. This office noticed a knife
clipped to the inside of his front right pants pocket. The defendant was
arrested without force or incident. The knife was recovered by this officer and
found to be a spring-assisted, one hand-operated knife. During transport to
Western District via wagon transport the defendant suffered a medical emergency
and was immediately transported to shock trauma via media.”

The charging document was filed at 11:25 p.m. ET on April 12. A court date
for the case was set for May 22, 2015, according to the document. The maximum
penalty for the switchblade charge is one year in prison and a $500
fine.

Police: Freddie Gray arrested for possession of switchblade | MSNBC

The document in the post above this one the X officer writes, carry, possess and sale of switchblade.

That in itself appears to be a lie since SA Mosley classified it as a knife that was legal to possess.

Last edited by Amythyst; 05-02-2015 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: sp error

Old 05-02-2015, 01:57 PM

675 posts, read 723,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Baltimore is by no means a city "of laws". You must not be from Baltimore or read the crime statistics. More like the city of lawyers and criminals, not that there is much of a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events