Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 04:19 PM

32,211 posts, read 34,974,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Exactly! You were Jaywalking? Call SWAT now!

And of course it's not about race...I mean, except for the fact that if you're a minority and jaywalking in a nice community, the police seem to ticket you All The Time, while somehow they kindasorta miss it most of the time when others do it.

But pointing that out means someone (apparently "liberals") are "giving black people a pass on their behavior". Because if you haven't noticed, minorities have it made in this country. Why, one out of the last one presidents elected is a minority!
If you did a drug raid in a dormitory in any State U in America, do you have any idea what type of treasure trove you would find? You'd find all types of contraband.

I would gladly take on that job. Then when kids are recommended for expulsion all you'll hear is "B, But, they are just kids!" If you think about it, being in possession of a drug like speed or ecstasy is a much more serious offense than mouthing off to a cop. But we tend to shrug off the former because "our kids do it."

We also tend to not really care at all if a non-White girl goes missing. But if a White girl from an upper middle class neighborhood goes missing, we get TONS and TONS and TONS of media coverage. One missing white girls gets more media coverage than Ebola.

A Tale Of Two Kidnappings - CBS News

Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Dajerria Becton had been White, the response would be "Oh my God! What if that were my daughter!?!" Instead it's more like "Eh."

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-09-2015 at 04:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 04:23 PM

32,211 posts, read 34,974,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
he Cops did not just show up for the Pool Party to take a swim. They where called there. In an interview, one of the residents close by said the Kids where "Out of Control" and fighting, and the Officers where justified in doing whatever they did. Your age does not excuse you from acting like a little animal.
Cops get called to parties all the time. Did you grow up in Uzbekistan? I don't see how the logical progression of that is a little girl getting slammed to the sidewalk. I like the "animals" jab, btw. People can't stop likening Black people to animals on this forum. What are your nicknames for other ethnic groups? I'm half Jewish. What names do you have for me?

Quote:
The Police could have handled it quicker, by using a Taser on the biggest Mouth, and the rest would have fell in place.
Right.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I dont buy your argument that all poor behavior is like rape. Rape is rape and control is a broader issue.

The cop is required to control his surroundings. When a person insists upon acting out in the cops area of control the cop is require to control that person, whether they like it or not. The fact that it is violent control is unfortunate, but then the person in this specific incident did not respond properly to the first 4 events of non-violent control. If a person does not respond to reason and requests for compliance, what other options are there for the cop who is required to control things. They cannot wait a few days for the person to decide to obey. If the person does not stop talking, stop walking, stop whatever disruption they are doing, what should the cop do at that point? It seems the person forced the cop to take violent action because of their refusal to cooperate. To keep in line with your insistence that this is like a rape, then this would be the case of the scantily clad women rubbing her vagina on the rapists leg while fondling his dick and taunting him while licking his ear and then screaming no as he follows up on her lead.

Can you tell me exactly how many newtons of force are required to subdue this specific girl under those specific circumstances? How does her level of clothing affect that calculation?

If I were in a position to have to subdue her, I would not want to apply less force than necessary and have her attack me or possibly cause me injury. i would want to apply sufficient force to control her every movement and put her in a position that she cannot hurt me. if you can provide a calculation I can use to ensure that I use that much force and not a single newton more, I would be much appreciative. Until then, people in a situation where force is required to control a situation will continue to have to use best judgment and hope it is adequate.

Considering how long it took him to get her under control, he was not using enough force at the onset and had to keep ramping it up until she was compliant. Excessive force would have been evident had she immediately been slammed to the ground and unable to move. that was certainly not the case, she kept wriggling and complaining during the entire event.
I did not come up with the rape comparison, I merely used yours.
What I was getting at was that your analogy did not make sense as we shouldn't compare a rapist to a police officer. I for one at least hold a police officer to a higher standard!

Yes the cop is required to control the situation. This cop however failed in doing so and to make things worse with his out of control and overly aggressive actions added to the chaos of the situation.
Instead of de-escalating the situation escalated it further.
To come back to the girl, she was walking away from the officer when he went over to detain her.
He told her to walk away and she finally did but he obviously did not appreciate the verbal abuse.
Like I said before, I'm not completely blind to the cops feelings or state of mind. However he should not let this mouthy teen get the better of him in such a way.

For the restraining part.
It about how you approach it.
His problem was that from then the onset he took her down like some hardened criminal with excessive force, it is only natural that your body and mind react to such an "attack", because guess what it hurts.
Now with real criminals who actually are dangerous to the officers and/or the people around them this is something which is accepted since it is more important to secure the threat.
This young girl was no immediate threat to anybody, the fact that she was half naked already showed him that she was unarmed and physically she also should not pose a threat.
At some point one has to apply common sense here (I don't mean that as an insult against you BTW) and treating a mouthy and unarmed teenager as such a threat to ones safety that it requires excessive force and takedown can't be the standard we should hold police officers to, otherwise they are no better than your average brawny bouncer at some night-club.
Has it really gone that far in this country that it is your opinion that this was not excessive force because the girl was still able to wriggle and complain as opposed to be lay motionless on the ground. Did it occur to you that just perhaps she was in pain and/or scared out of her mind?
I guess we just have to agree to disagree because if a trained and experienced police officer cannot subdue a 15 year old girl wearing nothing but a swimsuit who is walking away from him, without grabbing her by the hair and slamming her to the ground repeatedly and lastly placing his knees in the small of her back, than yes I maintain that just perhaps he is not cut out for this job or simple overreacted.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM

11,184 posts, read 6,540,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
You apparently did not see the entire video. she was encroaching on the scene and trying to talk with one of the boys being detained. The cop kept telling her to leave and she kept trying to walk past him. The entire time she is telling the cop that she wants to get her sunglasses from the boy and she wont take no for an answer.

It was after four or five times that he told her to go home and forget about the shades right now that he finally grabbed her arm as she pressed past him again. That is where the news video starts. The video the boy posted on youtube that the new broadcast was cut from has much more of her behavior included. Go watch that and see if you still think she was a blameless innocent. Naive? Absolutely. Incredibly stupid? Very likely.
I don't recall saying she's a 'blameless innocent.'

The point is that the cop went after her when she Was leaving. He must have walked 30-40 feet to get her and pull her back. Unless while she was leaving she said something really, really menacing, the issues with her were over.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:28 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,062,730 times
Quote:
he Cops did not just show up for the Pool Party to take a swim. They where called there. In an interview, one of the residents close by said the Kids where "Out of Control" and fighting, and the Officers where justified in doing whatever they did. Your age does not excuse you from acting like a little animal.

The problem starts with grownups making excuses for kids with no respect for the Law or anyone else's rights. You end up with a Generation that's being taught its OK to defy Police because its your right. Then Parents want to scream "Murder" when some one kicks the tar out of one of them or shoots them.

I will agree with what eye witnesses saw, which was people fighting and out of control. I wasn't there, neither was anyone else making excuses for a bunch of Teen thugs.

The Police could have handled it quicker, by using a Taser on the biggest Mouth, and the rest would have fell in place.
No, they wouldn't. Using a taser would have made them all pull out their cell phones & shout even more.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:29 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,768,628 times
Word now is Nutcasebolt "resigned" from his job as a police officer.

Hey, Eric! I said no special sauce!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,062,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Cops get called to parties all the time. Did you grow up in Uzbekistan? I don't see how the logical progression of that is a little girl getting slammed to the sidewalk. I like the "animals" jab, btw. People can't stop likening Black people to animals on this forum. What are your nicknames for other ethnic groups? I'm half Jewish. What names do you have for me?

Right.
Hey! Uzbekistan isn't a bad place to grow up!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,664,425 times
Quote:
If you did a drug raid in a dormitory in any State U in American, do you have any idea what type of treasure trove you would find? You'd find all types of contraband.

I would gladly take on that job. Then when kids are recommended for expulsion all you'll hear is "B, But, they are just kids!" If you think about it, being in possession of a drug like speed or ecstasy is a much more serious offense than mouthing off to a cop. But we tend to shrug off the former because "our kids do it."

We also tend to not really care at all if a non-White girl goes missing. But if a White girl from an upper middle class neighborhood goes missing, we get TONS and TONS and TONS of media coverage. One missing white girls gets more media coverage than Ebola.

A Tale Of Two Kidnappings - CBS News

Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Dajerria Becton had been White, the response would be "Oh my God! What if that were my daughter!?!" Instead it's more like "Eh."
I have no idea what you're talking about on the first part, since I never attendeed a State U; I attended a small private liberal arts college. Drugs?!? NEVER heard of them, nope!

Meanwhile, I continue to be stunned, STUNNED I say, at your implication that in general there are differences in general societal attitudes towards events or actions involving, say, a white UMC person than a minority. You mean, when Obama said "that could have been my son", it got a different reaction from Certain People than when someone else says "that could have been my daughter"?

(BTW, seeing your response to that other person's post, I'm half-Jewish, too. Go figure. I now also have this image in my head of some sort of Sacha Baron Cohen scene with police storming a party in Uzbekistan).

PS- If you haven't quite figured out yet, because I can't be sure from your responses, at least a portion of my posts could really use a sarcasm font.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,365,144 times
Quote:

The problem starts with grownups making excuses for kids with no respect for the Law or anyone else's rights. You end up with a Generation that's being taught its OK to defy Police because its your right. Then Parents want to scream "Murder" when some one kicks the tar out of one of them or shoots them.

I will agree with what eye witnesses saw, which was people fighting and out of control. I wasn't there, neither was anyone else making excuses for a bunch of Teen thugs.

It boggles my mind how many people on this site use words they don't know the definition of.

Thug | Definition of thug by Merriam-Webster

Oh yeah, we saw the reaction him manhandling her to the ground caused. I'm sure if he would've shot her with the taser that wouldn't have escalated the situation further, and possibly have gotten a teenager shot/killed. Yep.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:51 PM

8,444 posts, read 4,784,768 times
Quote:
Cops get called to parties all the time. Did you grow up in Uzbekistan? I don't see how the logical progression of that is a little girl getting slammed to the sidewalk..
When I was a teen we had many parties where the cops would show up. They would chase us, and usually we would get away. If they caught one of us though they would usually tackle the kid pretty hard and bruise him up getting the cuffs on. Then the kid would get in trouble, not the cop. And no, I did not grow up in Uzbekistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events