Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:15 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,381,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Can someone please help. I looked on the Iowa forum, the Political Forum and on Current Events and cannot find a thread about the White man shot by police in Des Moines last week. I didn't even hear about it on TV.

Can you direct me to the thread about this unarmed man who died after a cop shot him from her cruiser? Where are the protests? Where are the lawyers?

Honestly, I am not trying to start a debate about this. I just can't find anything on cable or social media about this man who was gunned down a few days ago. I ran across the story when Googling for information about Tamir Rice and the pool party in McKinney.
I know you don't want to go OT..but you are..May I suggest this site~~ This is the list of Cop shooting causing death..~~ Maybe you can start a thread on it? Their count btw is already up to 508 in 2015..They also list race and Ethnicity (White1.26 vs 3.45 Blacks vs 1.46 Hispanic/Latino) ....last death registered is June 13, James Boulevard age 25 Gunshot...I'll leave the rest up to you..

ETA The White male after further research was Ryan Bolinger~

JUNE 9, 2015
Ryan Bolinger
DEMOGRAPHICS
White Male, 28
Des Moines, Iowa
ARMED
No

CAUSE OF DEATH
Gunshot
POLICE DEPARTMENT
Des Moines Police Department
Bolinger was shot after exiting his vehicle and moving towards a police car, according to authorities. He had stopped abruptly in a U-turn after being pursued at low speed. Police said the chase began when he drove up closely beside a separate traffic stop, got out of his car and 'danced around'.
STATUS Under investigation

The Counted: people killed by police in the United States in 2015

Last edited by Lyndarn; 06-14-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 04:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,966,784 times
Thanks. I started a thread about the shooting. I was just surprised I didn't hear about it and I watch a lot of news. I guess the national media will continue to pick and choose what's important to report to the public. If his name was Kardashian, it would be a lot different.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:33 AM

596 posts, read 429,747 times
Ex-Texas Police Officer Won't Be Charged in Pool Incident

Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,858,572 times
I find it funny that I a teacher can get a group of 40-50 kids to disperse just by my presence but law enforcement's immediate reaction in these cases is to go to the gun.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:43 AM

The officer said "God Dam" in Texas. Figured that would be enough to get him strapped to a chair in that state.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 AM

26,196 posts, read 21,651,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I find it funny that I a teacher can get a group of 40-50 kids to disperse just by my presence but law enforcement's immediate reaction in these cases is to go to the gun.
I find it funny that you feel a classroom and this setting were anything comparable. Or funny if you think your presence would have been impactful at this event

Old 06-24-2016, 09:45 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,614,442 times
That's usually how it is. Let some time pass where everyone forget about it and it's business as usual.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:48 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,614,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This officer is not happy with the person taking this photo. Why not?

Imagine if the officer was a black guy and the kid was caucasian?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM

If the officer was black and the kid was white, the black officer would've been strung up by the white community in Texas. They would serve as judge, jury and executioner. Oh wait, the white community already serves those 3 roles.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I'm a youth leader of a church only a mile from that location. Some of my kids were there. This is a very middle-class area of newish residential divisions, nearly all built since the 90s. This is what happened:

A Craig's Ranch division resident's teen-aged daughter decided to throw an end-of-the-school-year pool party at her division's community pool. The pool has a capacity limit, but that's not something teenagers think about. She wanted to make sure her party was well-attended (no teen wants to have a dud party), so she contacted a social media "expert" to make sure it was well-advertised.

So kids all over the area--having nothing else to do on the first weekend most schools were out--hear about it on Facebook and say to their mothers: "There's a pool party at the Craig's Ranch pool...can I go?" Mom says, "Sure. I'll drive you over and pick you up in three hours." (in the Dallas area, everyone drives...nobody walks anywhere).

So a huge number of kids show up...the power of social media. At least nine residents get alarmed at the crowd and call 911, quite understandably. There is also a minor skirmish that starts and ends quickly--these are not bad folk, after all, but they're teenagers.

Several police cars respond. Some kids take off. But a lot of them hang around. I asked later, "Why did you stay there after the police arrived?" Said the kids: "We had to wait for our mothers to pick us up."

If you saw the video, you saw that at least two police officers were merely talking calmly to the kids as they stood around. The police officers lecture them, they say, "Yes sir."

There was just the one officer who seemed to go haywire. Just one, over some girls who get mouthy over his overreaction to the situation. When it begins to get really out of hand, the other officers rush to control their own brother more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events