Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 01:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,694,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You forgot to add "if it were white kids". That in and of itself if far from irrelevant as skin color clearly made this a story...
I disagree.

The actions of the cop are what made the story.

I'm sure pool parties or any other type of parties with close to a hundred teens attending happen all the time, and are broken up by cops all the time.

The actions of Corporal Crankcase made it go viral.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,016,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is in the article right after the fairly and equal heading. I don't make things up. And right above Pastor's appeal in this article.

[url=http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/06/mckinney-police-officer-on-leave-after-video-shows-him-pushing-teen-to-the-ground-friday-night.html/]McKinney police officer on leave after video shows him pushing teen to the ground Friday night | | Dallas Morning News[/url]

Several of the teens who were there said the same thing, but I figured you might believe this guy since he is whiten and wasn't at the party.
[url=http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/06/mckinney-police-officer-on-leave-after-video-shows-him-pushing-teen-to-the-ground-friday-night.html/]McKinney police officer on leave after video shows him pushing teen to the ground Friday night | | Dallas Morning News[/url]

Yes, but you are injecting your personal point of view. He did not say "hundreds of people can break into a private pool" or "it's okay to jump over the fence." He was simply pointing out that it is a quiet community where everyone, regardless of race, is welcome.

Lincoln Turner, who is white, attended Sunday’s news conference at the police station to show support for the teenagers at the pool party. He and his children frequently use the pools at Craig Ranch, though they don’t live in the subdivision. He said he doesn’t want this incident to be what people remember about McKinney.

"Everyone should come to McKinney and have fun in our pools. That’s the message that we want to send to the world,” Turner said. “Not that they’re going to get harassed and patrolled and beaten down. Not get a gun drawn on them. That’s ridiculous.”

[FONT="Arial Black"]Here is what another resident said. He is Black and lives in the community.[/FONT]

“This is not a racist neighborhood,” said Benét Embry, a local radio personality who witnessed the incident.

“There are a lot of good people in this community. It’s unfortunate that an event like this brings the spotlight.”

Embry, who is black, said he appreciated the police officers’ speedy response in calming a rowdy situation.

“That’s what they are supposed to do, protect us. I don’t know any other way he could have taken her down or established order,” he said.

Embry said that the teenagers started jumping over the fence into the party and causing a disturbance. He said the teenage girl seen in the video was talking back to Casebolt.

“She’s bringing more stress into an already volatile situation,” Embry said. “Out of a hundred kids, you probably had seven who are acting the fool. They totally spoiled it for everybody else.”

Last edited by justNancy; 06-12-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 01:04 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,694,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That they chose to promote via social media.
Well, what is YOUR definition of 'Social Media'?

Certainly a party is a social event...

Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 PM

28,748 posts, read 18,996,070 times
Quote:
You forgot to add "if it were white kids". That in and of itself if far from irrelevant as skin color clearly made this a story...
No.

The only reason skin color made any difference was because of the actions of Eric Casebolt. The actions of the other officers were not correlatable to skin color. Again, without Casebolt there would have been no story. No other factor made this a story except Casebolt.

If they had all been white kids with Casebolt thrashing a white girl in that manner, it would still have been a story, just as this is a story.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:00 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,365,948 times
Quote:
When nothing else works pull the race card.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:06 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,368,685 times
Let me ask the audience a question. Why are people acting like this is the first time a teen party went viral and more than the "invited" guest showed up and the police had to be called in? To my parental knowledge it is a rather common occurrence.

What turned this it a special occasion was the necessity of some folks to interject race into the question, not the kids but some "I'm not a racist but..." adult. Then to top the whole made for TV news item was Barney Fife running around manhandling young girls (by the way, any parents of teenage girls out there who has NEVER gotten lip from a 14 year old, I think not) and then to top that off pulls his gun on a couple of teenage boys.

Teenagers white, black, brown and chartreuse will act like freaking teenagers. What is shocking is that adults couldn't find a way to act like freaking adults!

Pool overcrowded with uninvited guest and security couldn't handle it - may its time for new security guards - then call the police and shut the hell up. Police, as most of the twelve officers did, investigate the problem, deescalate the situation and send the uninvited kids on their merry way. No, muss, no fuss, no national news story.

By the way, I'm done with this story. Police Chief is appalled by the actions of his officer, officer resigns, life goes on.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What if he has friends living there and they go with other residents as their guests? Is that not possible?
Yes, it is possible. I've been to gatherings where I did not know the homeowner personally and was an invited guest's friend. However, there still is a limit to the number of guests that can be invited. Anyway, if I were asked to leave a home or private pool, I wouldn't give the owner or a security guard an argument.

As the homeowner I quoted above pointed out, there were about 100 teens and only 7 or 8 acted poorly and ruined a nice day for all of them. I don't think it was a Black or White issue. Most of the party goers who were leaving were Black so that's what we're seeing in the video. A White girl was also cuffed and told to sit on the ground after talking back to the cops.

I agree with Fox Terrier. If there was no video showing Officer Casebolt aggressively handling a Black teenage girl in a bikini, this wouldn't be getting so much attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I disagree.

The actions of the cop are what made the story.

I'm sure pool parties or any other type of parties with close to a hundred teens attending happen all the time, and are broken up by cops all the time.

The actions of Corporal Crankcase made it go viral.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
By the way, I'm done with this story. Police Chief is appalled by the actions of his officer, officer resigns, life goes on.
It should be over. I agree. But I just read 2 teachers have been fired for posting opinions about this incident.

The one in Texas was very offensive and that woman shouldn't be teaching children anywhere. She said Black kids should be segregated and stay in their own side of town. That is definitely racist.

However, the teacher in Miami only said she felt the officer did the right thing. I hope there's more to this, because someone shouldn't be fired over an opinion!

In any case, why are educated people acting so foolishly? I'm glad that woman was fired, but I can't imagine posting anything so hateful and controversial on Facebook, although I don't even have a Facebook or Twitter account. (why do you think I post so much on City-Data? LOL

EDIT: Apparently the person in FL is a North Miami Principal in a mostly Black high school and, when he said Casebolt didn't do anything wrong, people were up in arms because the officer pulled a gun on teenagers. So he was fired.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,745,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, it is possible. I've been to gatherings where I did not know the homeowner personally and was an invited guest's friend. However, there still is a limit to the number of guests that can be invited.
I was speaking about the man (not part of the teen's party) who said he took his kids there from time to time and wasn't a resident. It could be that if he had friends that were residents, the resident man could go to the pool and enter with two guests, then the wife resident could go and enter with two guests. When I visit my in-laws in Austin, we've had to do that. My BIL would go with me and my son and then his wife would go and bring in my wife and daughter.

I'm not saying this is what happened, I'm just saying it's possible.

The fact that they had a card scanner and a security guard on site kind of gives me the sense they do generally enforce the rules.

Quote:
Anyway, if I were asked to leave a home or private pool, I wouldn't give the owner or a security guard an argument.

As the homeowner I quoted above pointed out, there were about 100 teens and only 7 or 8 acted poorly and ruined a nice day for all of them. I don't think it was a Black or White issue. Most of the party goers who were leaving were Black so that's what we're seeing in the video. A White girl was also cuffed and told to sit on the ground after talking back to the cops.

I agree with Fox Terrier. If there was no video showing Officer Casebolt aggressively handling a Black teenage girl in a bikini, this wouldn't be getting so much attention.
With all of this, I agree.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:02 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,396,344 times
Quote:
It should be over. I agree. But I just read 2 teachers have been fired for posting opinions about this incident.

The one in Texas was very offensive and that woman shouldn't be teaching children anywhere. She said Black kids should be segregated and stay in their own side of town. That is definitely racist.

However, the teacher in Miami only said she felt the officer did the right thing. I hope there's more to this, because someone shouldn't be fired over an opinion!

In any case, why are educated people acting so foolishly? I'm glad that woman was fired, but I can't imagine posting anything so hateful and controversial on Facebook, although I don't even have a Facebook or Twitter account. (why do you think I post so much on City-Data? LOL

EDIT: Apparently the person in FL is a North Miami Principal in a mostly Black high school and, when he said Casebolt didn't do anything wrong, people were up in arms because the officer pulled a gun on teenagers. So he was fired.
Just MAYBE these folks should keep their MOUTHS/Tweet/Blogs?posts SHUT...Just like everyone else..knee-jerk auto-correct reaction is to support someone..even tho they don't know ALL the facts yet...It's not the first time folks get in trouble for running of their mouths/electronic typed words who get in deep Do Do!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events