Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 07:52 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'll certainly agree that racism exists in this country, and it's a nasty, horrible thing. But, I am sick and tired of every little thing being turned into some sort of so-called racist event.

For one thing, I think some cops get too excited, too nervous, too whatever. I think some are on a power trip of some sort. I think some have tempers and such. Let's remember that cops ARE human beings, after all.

I also think in some situations, it's very easy for us to watch a video a couple of times and contemplate things for minutes, days, weeks, whatever, and decide what the cop did or did not do correctly. It's a lot different when you're in a high tension situation -- possibly surrounded by a lot of noise, or maybe dealing with someone who you know is volatile, or whatever -- and have to make a split second decision.

Overall, I would think that race does not play the main role in many of these cases. I think some are poor judgement on the part of the cops. Some are just crappy cops. Some are in bad situations that we can't understand because we haven't been in those situations.

I'm not sure why cops can't just be investigated for their poor behavior and possibly disciplined when it's found that they are in the wrong? I think some are wrong, some aren't. Some do it with intent, but most don't. Regardless, their own brothers and sisters in law enforcement -- along with everyone else -- have to turn on them immediately, or EVERYONE who is involved is pegged as being racist.

But of course, thanks to our President and the media and all of the liberal followers in this country, everything is "racist." God forbid that someone who is disrespecting the police or committing a crime have to actually deal with the consequences. If they're black, nobody should say or do anything, or they're "racist," whether we are talking about people who are throwing unauthorized parties, stealing cigars or burning down buildings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:05 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Here is a clue. The problem is with the police, not the media. Shooting the messenger is not going to solve the problem. Respect needs to be earned, and police acting like this, are not earning respect. Why would any normal person respect a fully grown man slamming a small bikini clad 14 year old girl on to the sidewalk, and then sitting on top of her? If he didn't have a badge and a gun, somebody would beat the crap out of him for acting that way. But he is supposed to get a pass because he is a cop? It doesn't work that way. That is what is fueling the fire of disrespect and belligerence toward police.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". The police need to be controlled. If you are not willing to control the police, the problem will only get worse.
Hi KaaBoom, I would respectfully ask how can you be certain the problem is with the police and not the media? Do you agree that it is within the realm of possibility that the media intentionally makes situations look worse than they are for the sake of drawing viewers and advertisers and profit? I truly feel I never know what to believe when I read a newspaper or watch a news program. I believe only a very naive person would think there is no such thing as media bias, spinning stories, and an agenda.

And while "giving a pass to the cop" is not how I would word it, I would certainly say police HAVE to be allowed to do things that you and I can't do. I'm not saying they can use any amount of violence they want, but obviously they need to have the authority to restrain others in certain situations. Sure, if YOU tried to restrain someone for mouthing off, you might deserve to "get the crap beat out of you." If a police officer, however, tells someone to sit down, or go to the other side of the street, or to be quiet, am I incorrect in thinking that a person is required to obey those orders? (Maybe I am wrong, but I thought such simple police orders had to be followed).

I have watched the video several times, and I don't clearly see the officer "slam" the girl to the ground. Push? For sure. But it's hard for me to see clearly enough to call it "slam." And I didn't see him sitting on her at all, because there was a man partially blocking the view.

BTW KaaBoom, I agree with your quote about power. I'm just not convinced that the problem is with excessive police power or excessive sensationalistic media coverage. I humbly admit that I do not know.

Does anyone know if the girl has documented injuries from being held/pushed/slammed/whatever to the ground?

Old 06-12-2015, 08:12 PM

13,690 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Let me ask the audience a question. Why are people acting like this is the first time a teen party went viral and more than the "invited" guest showed up and the police had to be called in? To my parental knowledge it is a rather common occurrence.
Because this wasn`t the usual teen party where more than the invited guests dropped by. It was a promoted event to the public which resulted in over a 100 kids showing up. And if that wasn`t enough the kids were conned into thinking they were going to a pool party when the idea all along was to promote an upcoming event. The mother and daughter who put on this fiasco showed a complete disregard for the rules.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
Some officers were already there, yes? And THEY weren't out of control.
So what his purpose in rushing in so fast he tripped and did a roll on the ground?
HE is the one who escalated the situation.
ONE thing I think cops should do is DE-escalate a situation.

Sorry, but it seems as if some cops -- like us all, I guess, but we are't cops -- who could shoot some one in the BACK, lie and get away with murder if not for a video tape -- let power go to their heads. They have a gun and a badge, and the power of life and death in their hands. They MUST keep their wits about them. IF THEY go off half-cocked -- what hope IS THERE for the situation NOT to get worse.

I think part of the animosity is certain neighborhoods and areas....is that for DECADES, cops have protected other cops THEY KNOW were crooked, or abusive. MAYBE if they have policed their OWN for decades the sentiment against them wouldn't be so hostile. How do you NOT expect some people to be hostile against them when the PROTECT people like the cops who sodomized Abner Luima, and chocked Eric Garner, who died. IF They will protect cops who'll do THAT...why should people feel all warm and fuzzy toward them. Protect that fellow cop and you're seen as just as guilty.

I'm not so sure the cop in the pool party case SHOULD have been fired, and he wasn't -- he resigned. And there's no way to know whether he WOULD have been fired. Cops who've done worse have been allowed to stay on various police departments. WHat he did wasn't the WORST misbehavior in the world. I think a serious warning, and reprimand with teeth, and suspension without pay would have been enough.

Cop have to learn they can't treat people like that and get away with it. When will they learn...there are cameras everywhere. And even with CAMERAS sometimes they STILL get away with their misdeeds. That doesn't garner sympathy for them.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Copycat pool drama in Ohio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qf8_E-30gc

Old 06-12-2015, 08:50 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It was pretty crazy watching them surrounding and attacking the officer. One of the moms asked her child to go get a tazer from her purse.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It was pretty crazy watching them surrounding and attacking the officer. One of the moms asked her child to go get a tazer from her purse.
That mom must have been racist.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:52 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And here is video of someone who really does live there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c652t8RWYYg
But he was not at the scene. You know who was? The white teen, who lives in the neighborhood and taped the video of the police officer acting like a dope head.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:17 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
That mom must have been racist.
I'm wondering who she was planning on tazering, the officer or the people who were attacking him?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:23 AM

13,690 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

So where`s all the media coverage? Guess it`s not PC in this case to show African-Americans acting like ghetto trash and preventing an officer from doing his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events