Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:57 PM

45,456 posts, read 60,666,498 times

Advertisements

Damn, I waited too long to retire. Spent an extra 12 years to retire at 32 years. Lost all those good retirement benefits, too. Have to content my self with my 35% taxable pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,738 times
It is absolutely sour grapes. Even 30 years and retirement is much better than the private sector. As to the "quit griping and join us" sentiment, someone has to work in the private sector to generate the wealth for public servants to live off of.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
It is absolutely sour grapes. Even 30 years and retirement is much better than the private sector. As to the "quit griping and join us" sentiment, someone has to work in the private sector to generate the wealth for public servants to live off of.
What do you think is fair compensation for a public service worker?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,844,206 times
Quote:
Does it bug anyone besides me that public employees that are funded by our tax dollars tend to have these great benefit packages where they can retire after twenty years of "service" while the rest of us private sector chumps are probably going to end up working into our 70ies? I mean good for them but the fact that I'm their employer and provide such generous retirement benefits to them that I don't get to enjoy myself bothers me. Does it bother you? Sound off.

1. As posters have mentioned, "general" public employees don't retire with full benefits after 20 years, but certain law enforcement employees can.

2. You don't get to enjoy "such generous benefits " for one reason--you chose not to be a public employee.

3. There's no need to feel like a chump; public employees pay taxes, too.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM

21,163 posts, read 19,753,224 times
This is what happens when elected officials are beholden to unions.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,738 times
Actually, I chose to pay less taxes and support less public employees but my wallet is apparently open to voters. But my vote doesn't count. And having taxes to truly pay for all facets of government would be astronomically high so the government skirts around that, both federal, state, and municipal, by generating huge debts that will one day come home to roost.

I know there are great public servants who many are underpaid but I also know that many are riding the gravy train. Again, good for you, but as a taxpayer I'd like to see much less of that.

As to public servants paying taxes, the vast majority of your pay comes from taxes and debt. Tithing back some of your salary back as taxes still doesn't negate that somewhere in the chain non government private sector employees have to generate the initial wealth that goes into the pot to fund everything.

Also it might be a good idea as you respond to these post if you indicate if you are a retired public servant or not

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
About 30 years ago or so, I had the chance to become a State employee.

I was temping in a mental health agency and the bosses liked my work. I was offered a permanent position, but the salary was so low I just couldn't accept it, even though I enjoyed the work.

When I was working there as a temp, I met all different kinds of people. There were the ones who spent an hour or more taking a smoke break and did little work. Interestingly, those were the people making around 50 grand a year, which was quite a bit of money back then. When the State had to cut back on spending, word got around that all the temps would have to go. One of the 50 grand/year lazy bums said (literally) "Oh, no, who's going to do all the work?"

I also met people of all wage rates who were dedicated, sincere, and truly cared about their jobs.

It's just like any other place of work; most people pull their weight; some don't.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Does it bug anyone besides me that public employees that are funded by our tax dollars tend to have these great benefit packages where they can retire after twenty years of "service" while the rest of us private sector chumps are probably going to end up working into our 70ies? I mean good for them but the fact that I'm their employer and provide such generous retirement benefits to them that I don't get to enjoy myself bothers me. Does it bother you? Sound off.
Sweetie, I am a public employee. I started when I was 47, so that "twenty years" you are so angry about will put me at 67, and STILL I won't be retiring, because my pay is so much less than private sector that I can't AFFORD to retire until about 70. Generous benefits? How about net pay not changing at ALL in the last 5 years because of increasing health care premiums and required increases in our contributions to pension plans, and the taxpayers not wanting to approve raises in our budget?? I took a 15 THOUSAND dollar pay cut to work there because I was tired of companies going out of business and losing my job (3 times).

So stop your squawking.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,960,819 times
Anyone can apply for and get employed by the government if they qualify so if you are jealous of that retirement program, do more than sit behind the computer complaining about it and go get one of those jobs.

Just remember a few things:

1. That 20 years has to coincide with the eligible retirement age, it does not mean start and 20 and retire at 40.

2. You'll need to work for the same employer for those 20 years, not hop around every time you decide you want to live somewhere else or someone else offered you a few more dollars.

3. For some jobs, you're going to work on the week ends, nights, middle of the nights, wee hours of the night and on your kids birthdays, your anniversary, holidays and so on.

4. You're going to have to be subject to a scheduled pay raise scheme that eventually tops out after not so many years and then if you're lucky, get a cost of living increase maybe. No, you can't simply go get another job because you have to stay in the public sector and apply for a new government job to keep that retirement.

5. Go look at the AVERAGE retirement for public employees, not the high profile cases you see on TV but what most are getting. Are you willing to do all the above for that?

Good. The sign ups are at your local employment office, go there and get to work.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 PM

557 posts, read 737,642 times
Make the private sector equal also. No more company bonuses , public employees don't get them and no more tax free business trips or expense paid trips , business can be conducted at home or on the phone. No more tax right offs for business or private sector. Public employees don't get them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events