Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:48 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,093,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The USA has Michelle Obama watching over what kids get to eat for lunch.
That's "Moo-chell"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 04:10 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You have a lot of fear of almost everything.
The key word I said was MODERATION.

My son is in college now.
Neither he nor I have diabetes from our "pigging" out on McDonalds years ago.
So give it a rest about saving the world. Not everyone is obese and not everyone gets diabetes.

Go after the fat people, not all the people.
I don't have fear of anything, but in my work I see the effects of this, so my opinion is a valid one. As a taxpayer, it does bother me when long term residents in the nursing homes I work in are now coming in at 45 and 50 after their third or 4th amputation and unable to care for themselves anymore, rather than 70 or 80 like when I first started 18 years ago, and my state pays the tab. If we don't do something, again, it will bankrupt us. This is not fear, it is opinion based on both my own research and my own experiences.

Again, it's awesome that you know about nutrition and you and your family are healthy, but the rates among children are unprecedented and getting worse, so quite obviously every parent is not as smart as you. If you know a good way to only target the fat kids and not have the school get sued by the fat kids parents, have at it, they would love to hear from you.

Yes, you are right, not all obese people get diabetes, and not everyone who gets diabetes is overweight, either.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't have fear of anything, but in my work I see the effects of this, so my opinion is a valid one. As a taxpayer, it does bother me when long term residents in the nursing homes I work in are now coming in at 45 and 50 after their third or 4th amputation and unable to care for themselves anymore, rather than 70 or 80 like when I first started 18 years ago, and my state pays the tab. If we don't do something, again, it will bankrupt us. This is not fear, it is opinion based on both my own research and my own experiences.

Again, it's awesome that you know about nutrition and you and your family are healthy, but the rates among children are unprecedented and getting worse, so quite obviously every parent is not as smart as you. If you know a good way to only target the fat kids and not have the school get sued by the fat kids parents, have at it, they would love to hear from you.

Yes, you are right, not all obese people get diabetes, and not everyone who gets diabetes is overweight, either.
Please stop chiding and bullying those of us that know better.
You're addressing me like I'm the cause of obesity in the US.

I grow my own vegetables.
I make my own jams.
I raise my own meat (beef only)
I have chickens for fresh eggs.

I probably eat fresher food than you because I grow it and raise it.

But I do like my McDonald's sausage egg mcmuffin every once in a while.

It gets very tiresome when folks that do watch what they eat get ragged on because they indulge every once in a while with junk food.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:32 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,173,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
You want to talk about processed foods, that is exactly what kids get in their school lunches. My wife is actually a cook at the schools, and that is one of the reasons we insist that our son takes his own lunches to school with him.
Yeah, I kind of mixed together responses for home lunches with school-provided lunches. Sorry about that.

For the kids lunches, if a teacher happens to notice again and again a pure junk food home lunch, they should mail a notice to that parent which gently reminds them that kids need some human food in their lunches.

Parents should put pressure on the school board etc to offer simple, natural choices, and no fast food joints like McDonalds in the cafeteria ..... that's a problem we never had when I was in school.

Natural foods might cost a little more in terms of kitchen cook work-hours, but that should be offset by the cheaper ingredients (if wisely chosen) and no corporate profit involved.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:01 PM

464 posts, read 804,892 times
No worries about the lunch nazis here; our kids are now proud healthy eaters! It was a challenge to convert our 3 daughters over to healthy eating, but we did it. Every January in Texas, we experience what is known locally as "Cedar Fever" (actually Juniper pollen.) The whole family is allergic and can result in many missed days of work & school.

Our daughters suffered from this previously and we placed them on an organic, whole-food diet last November. No sodas, no snacks or processed foods. The withdrawal was tantamount to almost mutiny at one point, but before long they didn't miss it. Their energy levels went up, they weren't sick once all winter AND, most importantly, all they experienced during "Cedar Fever" season was a few sneezes throughout the day. Teachers and other parents were asking my wife and I in detail what we had done to bring about this result.

Disconnecting kids (and adults for that matter) from the unhealthy modern diet is possible. It takes commitment but the results, in my opinion, are well worth it!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
I know a kid on a medication that requires him to eat at least six thousand calories a day because of one of his meds. If one of his teachers confiscated his high calorie lunches, his mom would probably sue their asses off.

( kid is rail thin as it is )

Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Why punish everyone though ?
How does one get an obesity waiver ?

Why do you assume everyone that eats a lunch not sanctified by the government is obese ?
THIS is the problem in a nutshell. A child having to go to school without cookies is "punishment"?? Talk about First World entitlement problems.

If a child sees healthy snacks as a punishment, then IMO that parent hasn't done a good enough job teaching them that healthy foods can be delicious, too. My best friend's kids are 11 and 8, and see cherry tomatoes and a piece of cheese as a treat, and are happy when given foods like that. That should be the goal. I think your phrasing there hits the nail on the head about how entrenched our Madison Ave conditioning has become.

There's this commercial that I hate, it's for KFC I think. It shows a family around a dinner table, and the kids won't eat, they are so fussy, Mom laments...then someone walks in with a bucket of fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, biscuits, mashed potatoes, and the kids are scarfing it down like wolves....Mom looks at the camera with a huge, incredulous smile, and exclaims "They're eating!!! They're eating!!"

Yes Mom, congratulations, your kids are eating 3 days worth of sodium, saturated fat, and calories in a single meal! Thanks KFC! You're the best!

They were better off when they weren't eating any dinner.

This commercial is what people should be mad at. And companies that profit by getting your kids addicted to unhealthy foods so that they see it as punishment not to have it at school.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-11-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
THIS is the problem in a nutshell. A child having to go to school without cookies is "punishment"?? Talk about First World entitlement problems.

If a child sees healthy snacks as a punishment, then IMO that parent hasn't done a good enough job teaching them that healthy foods can be delicious, too. My best friend's kids are 11 and 8, and see cherry tomatoes and a piece of cheese as a treat, and are happy when given foods like that. That should be the goal. I think your phrasing there hits the nail on the head about how entrenched our Madison Ave conditioning has become.

There's this commercial that I hate, it's for KFC I think. It shows a family around a dinner table, and the kids won't eat, they are so fussy, Mom laments...then someone walks in with a bucket of fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, biscuits, mashed potatoes, and the kids are scarfing it down like wolves....Mom looks at the camera with a huge, incredulous smile, and exclaims "They're eating!!! They're eating!!"

Yes Mom, congratulations, your kids are eating 3 days worth of sodium, saturated fat, and calories in a single meal! Thanks KFC! You're the best!

They were better off when they weren't eating any dinner.

This commercial is what people should be mad at. And companies that profit by getting your kids addicted to unhealthy foods so that they see it as punishment not to have it at school.
I asked a question and what I get is a lecture about eating healthy.
You are assuming everyone that doesn't agree with you must be obese and unhealthy..yes ?

Well I pay as much attention to the food police as I do the PC police as I do the vaccine police as I do any other "we want to control your life" police. I DON'T.

And as far as describing TV commercials to me..don't bother because I haven't had a TV in my house for over 10 years.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I asked a question and what I get is a lecture about eating healthy.
You are assuming everyone that doesn't agree with you must be obese and unhealthy..yes ?

Well I pay as much attention to the food police as I do the PC police as I do the vaccine police as I do any other "we want to control your life" police. I DON'T.

And as far as describing TV commercials to me..don't bother because I haven't had a TV in my house for over 10 years.
I'm no† assuming anything, nor judging anyone. I eat junk food too, I had birthday cake at work today and paid 75 cents extra so I could have both Chips Ahoy and Oreos in my Blizzard last Saturday. I'm not judging anyone, I don't know why you seem so defensive. I am saying too many people aren't educated about good nutrition, and as a country that lack of knowledge is costing us trillions and will get worse and worse if it doesn't change.

I am not basing that on assumptions. I am basing it on a couple of things:

A. 18 years experience in nursing home rehab, and seeing how much younger people are becoming too sick to live at home than when I started. I used to see 75 year olds, now I see 51 and 49 and 63 year olds with one or both legs amputated, who are almost blind from diabetes at 57, who have had major strokes due to hypertension at 46...every one of these people are going to live, some for decades, at a taxpayer cost of several hundred per DAY, each person..multiply that by every nursing home around the country, and then add the cost of the medicines and the dozens of hospitalizations that will occur in that time, and you'll see why I take it seriously. I see people every day who would give anything for a do-over in the choices they made, but it's too late. It makes me sad when we tell someone they can't go home, especially when it could have been prevented, so I am a bit passionate about the lack of education, especially by the health care system.

B. I am also basing it on the fact that childhood rates of diseases like type II diabetes and hypertension that used to be the sole domain of adults are skyrocketing. That is not my opinion, it's truth.

I already said twice I don't know that this is the perfect solution. Ideally this would begin at home. But it has to start young, and too many adults are not educated themselves on how important it is.

Our health care system should do it, but is now medicate rather than educate and has been for some time. So if parents can't or won't do it, and the health care system won't do it, then maybe the schools need to be involved, I don't know. But to see this as some kind of basic right, to have cookies at school, just highlights to me how big the problem really is.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-11-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 08:22 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,144,743 times
Have you eaten a school lunch lately? I have eaten at school with my grandkids. Other than Wednesday (chicken patty day), the food is nasty. It has no flavor and looks like garbage. Actually garbage might be more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events