Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:02 PM

8,500 posts, read 6,913,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Funny

Is that a euphemism for something else?
Yup. Naughty, naughty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
From time to time the herd gets thinned. It is usually done from within, not from any external force. Germany quickly forgot what happened during WWI and tried it again just 20 years later. Nearly a century after WWI Germany has the dominant economy in Europe. They have decided not to admit the Muslim hordes as France and the low countries have. Germany has many Turks, but the Turks want to work. If necessary, the Turks can go home. No Muslim nation will take Palestinians, ISIS, Al Qaida, Hamas or any Mujahadeen. They know better.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,902,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Nobody wants to address the root of the problem, which is human overpopulation. Look at Southern India, where overpopulation destroyed the most vital biome on the planet in less than a century. Look at the rolling environmental disaster that is China. Yes, all those people are desperate losers, but loserdom is expanding rapidly into Africa, SE Asia, and Central America. Things will go along OK until there is a major disruption in the system. Global warming is a serious stressor on the system, but it is far from the only one, or even the major one. The major stressor in the system is a constantly and rapidly growing human population.

Eventually the system will collapse. People alive today will probably live to see it.

Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update: Donella H. Meadows, Jorgen Randers, Dennis L. Meadows: 9781931498586: Amazon.com: Books

DOOMED

Old 06-21-2015, 08:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,403,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Life is uncertain - eat dessert first.
i knew this guy that love key lime pie from this one restaurant, the only reason he went there was for the key lime pie. well they sold out before he could finish his dinner. so from that moment on, he order the dessert first and then the meal. and this went on for years, he always said on any problem, eat your dessert first.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:51 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This story was bound to draw the frothing-at-the-mouth deniers of science. One wonders if they keep extra exclamation point keys handy, to replace the ones that keep wearing out on their keyboards?

Of course, considering how many of them loathe and despise the great unifiying theory of all of biology - evolution - it is no surprise that they rabidly deny this story of a biological nature as well.
For the record, my spiritual beliefs are no one's business save my own, and those with whom I choose to share them; I'm certainly no Bible-thumping Fundamentalist, and evolution makes perfect sense to me.

I first heard the word "ecology" back in the winter of 1963-64, in Farmer in the Sky, one of the works of juvenile science-fiction master Robert A. Heinlein; I was fourteen at the time, and Heinlein's depiction of the relation of species was every bit as articulate then as now; many of his works contained a strong philosophical underpinning. And it was Heinlein who also said "There is no greater tyranny than to force a man to pay for something he does not want, because you think it would be good for him."

I don't think many of us of any persuasion have a problem with correcting the most obvious forms of environmental abuse -- stream pollution and air quality in thickly-settled areas. The problems begin when an advocacy with a specific cause can't find easily demonstrable evidence, and the import of "scientific experts" (who have a very identifiable interest in seeing themselves installed as "gurus" or "czars") begins.

So many holes have been shot into the "global warming" urgency -- as opposed to "climate change", which is real, but hardly a direct progression, that I won't raise that issue here. I agree that the extinction of certain species -- honeybees are probably the most prominent -- merits very serious study, provided a uniform theory and strategy can be agreed upon. But what we have at present is a dispute among a number of advocacies, and access to, and control of the levers of power embodied in the state (meaning all government), and the taxpayer-financed "rewards" that go with it, are the real objectives of a lot of the strident voices out there.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:36 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
It looks like a man's kneecap? He is kneeling down and it's his right leg...I think?
Yeah, I think you're right. The inside of his bottom thigh that pokes out. I knew it would be something like that but it honestly looked like some animal's arse or something.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:36 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,175,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Originally Posted by OP article
“Without any significant doubt that we are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event," said Professor Paul Ehrlich, at the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment.

Yeah ..... some of us old hippies remember Ehrlich, who
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
...... became well known for his controversial 1968 book The Population Bomb, which asserted that the world's human population would soon increase to the point where mass starvation ensued.
I just want to clarify that while I believe Ehrlich is right to be concerned, he does tend to blow things out of proportion, so to speak. He was wrong in his first book because scientists were able to bring about the Green Revolution which greatly increased crop yields through technological innovations, especially in overcrowded thirdworld countries such as India and China.

So he's a bit of an alarmist, by not factoring in the likelihood of technological progress offsetting the problems of the population explosion. Nor does he consider that as world wealth increases, people choose to have fewer children.

He's a bit like Lovelock, the ecologist who predicted that positive feedback in climate warming would greatly accelerate our planet's demise, so that by now we would all have to be crowded into the poles wishing it would cool down a bit. There is indeed a problem with warming and positive feedback, but it's offset by other factors so that it is not quite that dire!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 AM

545 posts, read 595,555 times
Actually this might be a good thing.....God can start over again and hopefully work out some kinks in the creation!!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:32 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Hopefully when they realize some things in this world cannot be bought, they will wake up. So what is needed is information.

I don't see why folks would deny we need to take care of the earth....but old ideas: dominion over the earth need to fade away.
I wish they would but they don't. They firmly believe this is all a ruse by "leftists" to control the world and hurt the poor, innocent mega corps.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
The Arctic ice cap melted less last summer than it has in years. The Antarctic ice cap and pack ice is the largest it has been since they began using polar orbit satellites. Old records from early Deepfreeze expeditions are being exceeded as to ice measurements. In 1963 I was the first person in 25 years into the British hut at Anvers Island near the Palmer Peninsula in the Antarctic. It had been evacuated in 1938 when WWII broke out.

The door was not locked. The food on the table was freeze dried. They were having mutton chops and potatoes for supper when a ship arrived to evacuate the station. The food was light as a feather with no water content in it. The scientific station was built on bare rock. Recent satellite photos show nothing but ice there. Global warming fans eagerly seek warm temperatures. Cities are what real scientists call "heat islands". That is where the global warming people like to take their measurements. Meanwhile, the earth has been cooling for the last few decades.

Global warming and global cooling are both caused by the sun. Automobiles, power plants and hair spray have nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events