Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 06:37 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,234,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
It's 2015 people, not 1866. People alive today not only are aware of the Civil War, but everything that has happened since. Everyone knows that there is far more negative history involved with that symbol than any legacy or heritage one might claim.
Negative history, really? How many times in the last 50 years have you actually seen the Flag used as a symbol of hate? One time with the current shooter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:40 AM

601 posts, read 460,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Negative history, really? How many times in the last 50 years have you actually seen the Flag used as a symbol of hate? One time with the current shooter?
Personal experiences with people who display it go a long way in determining peoples viewpoints my friend. So like my whole life.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,181,023 times
Who cares.

It's a symbol of racism these days regardless of it's original meaning.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No, the license plate was not blocked by the United States Supreme Court - it was blocked by the State of Texas.

Supporters of the plate then sued, claiming that their Constitutional rights were being violated by the State of Texas. The United States Supreme Court merely found that there is no freedom of speech on license plates, and so Texas could (not had to - could) decline to offer a license plate featuring the Confederate flag.

Frankly, it's sad that there are people who want that disgusting symbol of treason in the name of slavery. And, to the revisionist, yes, the southern states seceded because of slavery. We know this because the states took pains to state their grievances when they seceded, and those declarations of secession go on and on about preserving slavery as the reason behind their seceding. In the Cornerstone Speech, Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens explicitly stated as much, and I quote, "The new Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institutions—African slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.".Further, the facts that the Confederacy put down a secession attempt in eastern Tennessee (which held a convention to secede from the Confederacy and rejoin the Union - only to be invaded by the Confederate Army) and included in its constitution a clause explicitly forbidden any state from ever outlawing slavery show beyond all doubt that the nonsense about states' rights was utter bunk that none of them ever believed (that was later historical revisionism invented by the mired-in-the-past Lost Causers).
Its nice to see you quote. Do you have a link to the quote you cite? It would be interesting to see the context of your quote, as well as, the stage of this is alleged to have all happened - by you.

Abraham Lincoln and the North did not care about slavery one bit. As long as Federal Control was instituted throughout the land - turning the united states (seperate countries at the time of the war, with differing laws and different money) into one nation controled by a central government, and that union was preserved - he was more than happy.

Here's a link:

5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation

Reality is all races that could afford to, participated in the slave trade - many starting out as indented servants thamselves. Anthony Johnson - a black man - started slavery for life long before the Civil War and a centralized federal government were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Im not even sure America had won its independence from Britton at that time. It wouldnt seem so, considering Anthony Johnson is circa 1600.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthon...%28colonist%29

The first black regiment in the conflict formed in the South for the Confederacy. It was in New Orleans.

Black Slave Owners: Did They Exist? - The Root

Sons of the South: Black Confederates

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ates&FORM=IGRE

There are both black Daughters as well as Sons of the Confederacy to this day:

Services

Black Woman Joins United Daughters Of Confederacy

After Years Of Research, Confederate Daughter Arises : NPR

Thurmond&#39 - s Biracial Daughter Seeks to Join Confederacy Group - NYTimes.com

Where are your links to 'debunk' the truth that stares you right in the face?

Isnt it amazing how reality and truth lives on despite politics, agendas, and outright lies and/or stupidity?

Who is anyone to rewrite these black peoples history for them?

Who is anyone to give their own slanted definition to the meaning of any given symbol?

Do you say who and what you are; or do I get to do that for you?

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 06-29-2015 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,181,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
Personal experiences with people who display it go a long way in determining peoples viewpoints my friend. So like my whole life.
This has been my experience with that flag as well.

When you see that flag in places like Idaho or Montana, it has nothing to do with heritage.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,346,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
This has been my experience with that flag as well.

When you see that flag in places like Idaho or Montana, it has nothing to do with heritage.
I live next to those states, and I understand the point you are trying to make. But I would advise you to consider that the "rebels" in the northwest rockies are more likely to show the flag as a protest against the federal government in general than as an expression of racial hatred.

Not everyone who does things you don't like is evil.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This has been an ongoing issue since it went up. It certainly was problematic for many of my SCclassmates when it went up. There was no political will until now. There was no getting around the power structure to make it happen. I signed tge OG petitions even though I no longer lived in the state. There were many racist flag incidents during my high school years, it was an ongoing poke in the eye.

It made sense to take advantage of the inertia right now.

SC sells plaenty of flags in tourist stores and the like, the flag isn't going anywhere. But it doesn't belong on the statehouse.
Well then it's a good thing it isn't there and hasn't been since well before this all started right?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I live next to those states, and I understand the point you are trying to make. But I would advise you to consider that the "rebels" in the northwest rockies are more likely to show the flag as a protest against the federal government in general than as an expression of racial hatred.

Not everyone who does things you don't like is evil.
I've lived in THOSE states and have lots of personal contact with those that fly the rebel flag. It is flown with the same thought/idea as flying the Gadsden flag (Don't Tread On Me).

To be clear, it's not flown against any race, rather, it's flown as a statement towards what some see as a government heading towards tyranny.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:59 AM

601 posts, read 460,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Its nice to see you quote. Do you have a link to the quote you cite? It would be interesting to see the context of your quote, as well as, the stage of this is alleged to have all happened - by you.

Abraham Lincoln and the North did not care about slavery one bit. As long as Federal Control was instituted throughout the land - turning the united states (seperate countries at the time of the war, with differing laws and different money) into one nation controled by a central government, and that union was preserved - he was more than happy.

Here's a link:

5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation

Reality is all races that could afford to, participated in the slave trade - many starting out as indented servants thamselves. Anthony Johnson - a black man - started slavery for life long before the Civil War and a centralized federal government were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Im not even sure America had won its independence from Britton at that time. It wouldnt seem so, considering Anthony Johnson is circa 1600.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthon...%28colonist%29

The first black regiment in the conflict formed in the South for the Confederacy. It was in New Orleans.

Black Slave Owners: Did They Exist? - The Root

Sons of the South: Black Confederates

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ates&FORM=IGRE

There are both black Daughters as well as Sons of the Confederacy to this day:

Services

Black Woman Joins United Daughters Of Confederacy

After Years Of Research, Confederate Daughter Arises : NPR

Thurmond' - s Biracial Daughter Seeks to Join Confederacy Group - NYTimes.com

Where are your links to 'debunk' the truth that stares you right in the face?

Isnt it amazing how reality and truth lives on despite politics, agendas, and outright lies and/or stupidity?

Who is anyone to rewrite these black peoples history for them?

Who is anyone to give their own slanted definition to the meaning of any given symbol?

Do you say who and what you are; or do I get to do that for you?
It wouldn't be news if it was ordinary. Go ask any average black person their opinion and I'm sure its a lot different then those fringe people discussed in those news stories. As for the photographs, the modern pics are mostly the same guys in different settings. It's the one old black dude with a beard and the college student posing with the flag in various places. As far as history books and sites, the viewpoint depends on the author. You can post pics, blogs from confederate sights, and news articles all day long... You aren't going to change anyone's mind. I'm just happy the good guy's won.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:03 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,234,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Who cares.

It's a symbol of racism these days regardless of it's original meaning.
These days? When have you actually seen it displayed in a Racist form?

There are millions of us who disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events