Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I think I just puked
Read about the Victorian era, or simply watch the movie "The Color Purple". Arranged marriage once existed in our American Culture too. Even to this day, there are people that marry for reasons other than love - economics and increasing one's socio-economic status is a big one, and always has been.

But now - we go off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
It wouldn't be news if it was ordinary. Go ask any average black person their opinion and I'm sure its a lot different then those fringe people discussed in those news stories. As for the photographs, the modern pics are mostly the same guys in different settings. It's the one old black dude with a beard and the college student posing with the flag in various places. As far as history books and sites, the viewpoint depends on the author. You can post pics, blogs from confederate sights, and news articles all day long... You aren't going to change anyone's mind. I'm just happy the good guy's won.
Those black Confederates and their decendants could give a rat's azz about your synopsis of 'the average black man's' opinion.

They dont care about changing your mind either. You are a non-factor in their mission to do away with lies and stereotypes that attempt to erase their history, as you and your fellow haters should be.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 AM

601 posts, read 459,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Those black Confederates and their decendants could give a rat's azz about your synopsis of 'the average black man's' opinion.

They dont care about changing your mind either. You are a non-factor in their mission to do away with lies and stereotypes that attempt to erase their history, as you and your fellow haters should be.
So you are speaking for the dead now? Are you a medium?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
And you are speaking jibberish now, turning your thread into garbage?

No, none of those black soldiers had any kids, lol.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:22 AM

The flap over the Confederate flag is not quite as simple as the nation's race experts make it. They want us to believe the flag is a symbol of racism. Yes, racists have used the Confederate flag, but racists have also used the Bible and the U.S. flag. Should we get rid of the Bible and lower the U.S. flag? Black civil rights activists and their white liberal supporters who're attacking the Confederate flag have committed a deep, despicable dishonor to our patriotic black ancestors who marched, fought and died to protect their homeland from what they saw as Northern aggression.

They don't deserve the dishonor.
by Walter Williams

2009 article previously linked. BTW, he's a black man.

Another link is to an article from the head of African-American studies at Harvard. The Root. BTW, he's also a well-educated black man.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM

You also act as if most blacks don't have mixed racial backgrounds. So most of us had relatives on the confederate side. Don't put words in anyone mouth.

Quote:
And you are speaking jibberish now, turning your thread into garbage?

No, none of those black soldiers had any kids, lol.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
You also act as if most blacks don't have mixed racial backgrounds. So most of us had relatives on the confederate side, don't put words in anyone mouth.

You have to read to stay in context, sorry.

I agree though, dont put words in MY mouth. Im perfectly capable of speaking for myself. Your friend seems to be capable of speaking for hisself as well.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You have to read to stay in context, sorry.

I agree though, dont put words in MY mouth. Im perfectly capable of speaking for myself. Your friend seems to be capable of speaking for hisself as well.
Who is posting gibberish?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Who is posting gibberish?
The person acting like those soldiers had no descendants, and asking me if I am a medium?

Unless, of course, you believe the average human is a wizard as well, it's jibberish.

Here's a quote, lol:

Quote:

Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
We have a bigger problem when we will not even acknowledge that the civil war was mostly about state rights vs federal rights, and the people who fly it are about independence from federal bureaucracy, not slave ownership for crying out loud.

When people misinterpret motives, rights get taken away.

I don't fly that particular flag, but I understand the losses the south suffered (including many blacks), their sense of state loyalty and family losses, and I respect their rights.

Don't you?

Can we all just be a little more tolerant and understanding of each other?
There is absolutely no room to tolerate white supremacy and hate!! On this issue, your question should only be addressed to one side. You mention, "the civil war was mostly about state rights vs federal rights", the civil war was mostly about states rights, the states right to keep slavery as an institution going. There were many grievances that led to the war and slavery was part of those grievances, a big part... Don't believe me, take it directly from rednecks in charge at the time...

Declaration of secession from Mississippi - “Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery, the greatest material interest of the world”

Louisiana state commissioner“The people of the slave holding states are bound together by the same necessity and determination to preserve African slavery”

Jefferson Davis, confederate president“white men have an equality resulting from a presence of a lower caste, which cannot exist where white men fill the position here occupied by the servile race”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEbjojA2d9A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events