Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
the North at the time killed many African-Americans even sent the Black union soldiers into the FRONT line, not much respect there.
Ah, generally speaking when a solider is sent to the front lines, it is the enemy that does the killing. As for black soldiers fighting for the United States, I feel rather confident is stating that they did so gladly. The lack of respect came from not being paid the same as white soldiers but that too was rectified retroactively. And I used to think that the British educational system was superior to ours. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Ah, generally speaking when a solider is sent to the front lines, it is the enemy that does the killing. As for black soldiers fighting for the United States, I feel rather confident is stating that they did so gladly. The lack of respect came from not being paid the same as white soldiers but that too was rectified retroactively. And I used to think that the British educational system was superior to ours. Oh well.
I'm guessing you are not familiar with the term "cannon fodder"? that was his point.. went over your head.......

Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
The thing is why now? How come all these decades blacks in South Carolina and elsewhere weren't angry enough to protest to have the flag taken down? Even if they disliked it, they mostly tolerated it and weren't concerned enough to come out to march against the flag until now. Why does it have to take a mass shooting by a supposed white racist in order for them to all of a sudden care about the Confederate flag?

And also what if the shooter in this incident was black? Would the Confederate flag even have come into the discussion and now become a target that must be completely and utterly wiped out? I seriously doubt it because if the shooter in this incident was indeed black, it wouldn't be a racist incident and there would be no black people calling for the flag to be gone and it would be flying right now without any issues as it had been for decades already. But now in light of the shooting, a few blacks called for the flag to come down at some public building and now it went from being a call to take it down in a few places to having it be gone nationwide.

I don't really care about the Confederate flag and it doesn't matter to me if it gets taken down outside government buildings and whatnot, but it just looks to me like blacks exploited a tragic incident to get rid of something they don't like. With the flag in and around public buildings and spaces I can understand why they would want it gone, but to want it to be completely wiped out as if it never existed? I think that's going too far.
This has been an ongoing issue since it went up. It certainly was problematic for many of my SCclassmates when it went up. There was no political will until now. There was no getting around the power structure to make it happen. I signed tge OG petitions even though I no longer lived in the state. There were many racist flag incidents during my high school years, it was an ongoing poke in the eye.

It made sense to take advantage of the inertia right now.

SC sells plaenty of flags in tourist stores and the like, the flag isn't going anywhere. But it doesn't belong on the statehouse.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:04 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
Quote:
As a Brit, I would say leave the flag, the North at the time killed many African-Americans even sent the Black union soldiers into the FRONT line, not much respect there. This is a frenzy which seems to now engulf people and the modern world, the flag represented the St Andrews flag, as most southerners had Scots/English/ Ulster blood and were very patriotic ( not to the North) and had close ties to Britain. Don't forget Washington owned slaves, do you burn your dollars and flag.... no you would not.
The reason it's coming down is for the same reason your Union Jack is not up there. You LOST the War!
Get over it.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
And the St. Andrews reference went over your head. Or maybe Google is down? Oh well.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
As a Brit, I would say leave the flag, the North at the time killed many African-Americans even sent the Black union soldiers into the FRONT line, not much respect there. This is a frenzy which seems to now engulf people and the modern world, the flag represented the St Andrews flag, as most southerners had Scots/English/ Ulster blood and were very patriotic ( not to the North) and had close ties to Britain. Don't forget Washington owned slaves, do you burn your dollars and flag.... no you would not.

Wtf?? Your point is illogical, irrelevant and from a position of total misunderstanding.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
Supporters can still use stickers and other decals. I prefer to know what kind of person I'm dealing with in this issue so I don't particularly have a problem with it decals. http://http://www.usatoday.com/story...ates/27605915/
Well, they did lose the civil war so maybe it is time?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:52 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Good....now if blacks can stop using the N word and the flag is gone maybe we can forget that time ever happened. I don't expect it will be brought up again.

I'm happy as this leads the way into a discussion about removing God speak from our money. We look like loons with it on there. Why not just put, in Leprechauns we trust. Next, taxes for churches can go. Let's just take anything of offense away.

Everyone should have their rights protected, respected, and honored.
How stupid is that?

Rights? What about FREEDOM?

Maybe everyone should chill out and just be a little more tolerant of each other. Blacks can use any words they want, people can fly any flag they want, and kids can play with dukes of hazzard dolls. (Although I bet that ship has already sailed)

I happen to like God on my currency. What about my rights? 😃

Old 06-29-2015, 04:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Anyone has the right to fly that symbol of hate and be a racist redneck.

But we have a problem when that symbol of hate is flown on government property... This is where the issue lies, but you already know this...
We have a bigger problem when we will not even acknowledge that the civil war was mostly about state rights vs federal rights, and the people who fly it are about independence from federal bureaucracy, not slave ownership for crying out loud.

When people misinterpret motives, rights get taken away.

I don't fly that particular flag, but I understand the losses the south suffered (including many blacks), their sense of state loyalty and family losses, and I respect their rights.

Don't you?

Can we all just be a little more tolerant and understanding of each other?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 AM

601 posts, read 460,189 times
It's 2015 people, not 1866. People alive today not only are aware of the Civil War, but everything that has happened since. Everyone knows that there is far more negative history involved with that symbol than any legacy or heritage one might claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events