Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's just the free market at work.
Recall the huge lines outside Chick Fil-A's when they tried this. They wrapped around the block for a solid week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 12:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
They're just talking about whether the state should fly the confederate flag over government property.

Private individuals are still free to put it on their house, car, clothes, whatever they want.
But that's not what is happening is it. Actions are not being contained to the debate over flying the flag on government property. It is spreading into anything associated with the image of the confederate flag and civil war historical monuments which is reaching into aspects of peoples personal lives.

Last edited by 2mares; 07-02-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
When it comes to PC insanity, this country does seem to roll over and bow down to the complaints of a few rather than the majority.
My experience has been that when folks complain about "political correctness" it usually means they feel like saying something ugly but are afraid they'll be criticized for it.

In my opinion, that's pretty lame.

If someone truly believes something and really wants to say it, then get up on your hind legs and do it.

But they can't expect everyone to agree with them or remain silent. Criticism comes with the territory when we say or do controversial things.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But that's not what is happening is it. Actions are not being contained to the debate over flying the flag on government property. It is spreading into anything associated with the image of the confederate flag and civil was historical monument which is reaching into aspects of peoples personal lives.
I haven't heard anything about not allowing people to fly the confederate flag on their own property, stick it on their car, sew it on their britches or whatever.

It's like anything else that's controversial. If you do it, sure, some people may look down on you or think you are a fool or otherwise express their disagreement. They have the right to object, just as much you have the right to do it.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
I haven't heard anything about not allowing people to fly the confederate flag on their own property, stick it on their car, sew it on their britches or whatever.

It's like anything else that's controversial. If you do it, sure, some people may look down on you or think you are a fool or otherwise express their disagreement. They have the right to object, just as much you have the right to do it.
They have pulled the Dukes of Hazard and the general lee, Many merchants have stopped selling confederate flag merchandise, Wal-Mart refused to decorate a cake with the confederate flag. No as of now there isn't a law forbidding private citizens from displaying the image on their private property but this has gone far beyond flying the confederate flag on government property.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They have pulled the Dukes of Hazard and the general lee, Many merchants have stopped selling confederate flag merchandise, Wal-Mart refused to decorate a cake with the confederate flag. No as of now there isn't a law forbidding private citizens from displaying the image on their private property but this has gone far beyond flying the confederate flag on government property.
These are private parties making their own decisions. They are evaluating things like the business climate, public opinion, corporate image, etc.

That's the free market at work. If these companies thought it was a good idea to hawk the confederate flag they have every right to do so.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:45 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
TV Land has pulled the Dukes of Hazard because the car had a confederate flag on it. What's next? No more showings of Gone with the Wind? Should we erase all of the history of the US because people are offended?
Worse - No more The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7490BD871BBAE2

In fact you cant have anything to do with The Civil War at all anymore. Who would the North be fighting, lol?

The ghost riders in the sky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkJqHUYr5w

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 07-02-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 05:04 PM

117 posts, read 118,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
TV Land has pulled the Dukes of Hazard because the car had a confederate flag on it. What's next? No more showings of Gone with the Wind? Should we erase all of the history of the US because people are offended?
First they came for Dukes of Hazzard, and I did not speak out, because I was not a Cooter.
Then they came for Hee Haw, and I did not speak out, because I was not a String Bean.
Then they came for Mama's Family, and there was no one left to speak for Mama.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:32 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
The Dukes of Hazzard reunion and car show has been taking place in my little town for a couple years now and this year, it's the biggest and best yet. It's taking place this weekend and I foresee confederate flags covering every inch. John Schneider is close and personal friends with some of our neighbors and I see him fairly often around here.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:47 PM

198 posts, read 259,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Wrong. Virginia and many other states were neutral in the beginning. They didnt want to sucede or have a war at all. Blockades pressed upon them, tarrifs and the like, and other incidents lead to them finally chosing to withdraw.

That's why Robert E. Lee was originally slated to be the Lead General for the Union. Im sure most states didnt actually want war.

The first day of the war, people on both sides of the Potomac took picnic lunches out to the battlefield for amusement, and throughly expected the whole conflict to end at the end of the first skirmish.

The North had a slave based economy too, and 2-fold. It had actual purchased slaves, which were owned and fed and sheltered by their Northern Masters; and, it also had the free proverty-stricken dregs of Europe starting to immigrate, that were paid a paultry sum, and in most cases having to fend for themselves in slums and tenement houses.

Some immigrating to the North signed up for the Union Army. They could not speak English in many cases, and the only thing they knew they were fighting for was citizenship.

Slavery was not an issue until two full years into the war, so it could not have possibly been the primary reason for the war. Seeking funds and support from Europe at this point in the war, Lincoln felt he needed a moral cause to present creditors - he found it in slavery.

His proclamation did nothing to help the slaves, except to allegedly free them in the rebel states. The Northern slave holders, including General Grant, did not free their slaves until an amendment forcing them to was passed.

But, I know, there are some even college professors that have no problem looking at every black child in their class and filling their head with untruths. I watched one tell a room full of black students that all of them were slaves, and all white people owned slaves, and there were no slaves in the North since the Dutch pulled out.

I guess he didnt know black people owned slaves too, many Irish were slaves for life, and even people in the North owned slaves - even though he was a PhD in his area of study. *shrugs*
I strongly disagree with your claim that slavery was an issue starting 1863. It was DECADES BEFORE. The Liberator started in 1831. The Missouri Compromise is an indication that the spread of slavery was an issue to people, whether that be the supporters or abolitionists. The North's economy initially did have slavery as a very strong role in the economy- but as time progressed onward it relied less and less on it(New York legislature banning import of slaves, etc.) with employed, poor, manufacturing, workers the powerhouse of the economy. It was a split issue, even in the North, but with Lincoln's liberal ideals against slavery, the South seceded knowing that he would ban slavery. And in the eyes of Lincoln, the Emancipation Proclamation was a Proclamation that applied to our ENTIRE country, the North and South, even if it currently did not have control over the South; read his Inaugural address and you will see that he believes secession is illegal and that we are indissolubly united as one country, regardless of what the rebels say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events