Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Greedy, unlawful employers hire them, duh. So what's your point? They are guilty of breaking the law and so are the illegal aliens they hire. Implement e-verify and that will put a stop to most of it.
What's my point? You said it but let me spell it out fer ya. If domestic employers and domestic citizens didn't hire them, they wouldn't have work. Don't we already have e-verify? I must be working, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most Americans don't hire illegal aliens. What part of that aren't you getting? Those who do hire them don't want the influx to stop. The rest of us do. How does one determine that the restaurant they are eating at or any other business establishment has illegal alien workers? Since when don't Americans want to be nail techs? Since when aren't Americans opening businesses?
Well, okay then.
Americans are opening businesses and doing those jobs, so the jobs that the illegals are doing should start drying up right?

Problem solved.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I can guarantee you that if you prevented illegals (if you're against illegals), or recent immigrants (for those of you against immigrants) in middle class-to-upper crust cities like San Francisco and DC, yeah, some small businesses would close. I guarantee there will be a shortage of local workers. These businesses would have to recruit from other cities that have high unemployment, if they wanted to stay afloat. And I am not sure if that would be feasible for them. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying that the vast majority of Americans in these areas do not want to clean toilets or mow lawns all day.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I believe that every country has the right to protect its borders and have fair immigration policies in place. What I am saying is, it is far from our biggest problem. There are so many true urgencies, including our infrastructure, the environment and poverty. (Yep, I realize there overlap with immigration).
It's so odd to me that people seem not to understand the basic principles of supply and demand.
If consumers were not willing to patronize these businesses the business owners would have no reason to hire anyone.
If consumers did not make a point of choosing to pay $20, say, rather than $40 for a given service, the establishments that can get away with charging $20 wouldn't be able to do so.
And the reason that they can do so is because they pay their workers a very low wage or they only "employ" family members that may not get paid at all.

It's easy to say that wages should be higher, and perhaps if they were higher in general, people would be willing/able to pay more for those services, but would they?

If we accept that everything is connected, how willing are we in general to pay more for a given service so that our neighbors can earn a better wage and find those service professions attractive and lucrative enough to survive on?

'Cause that's really what it comes down to, isn't it?

Old 07-02-2015, 01:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I'm starting to like him more and more. At least he's got some guts to stand up to the liberal media.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Well what does he have to convince me he'd make a great president? Because he certainly hasn't.

Anybody who acts like such a spoiled child that he bans the employees of a company from his businesses out of spite has no business being the leader of the free world. Can you imagine what someone who displays that level of immaturity could do if he had the power to start a war???
Yes, he'd have the power to win the war, also he would have a strategy. Can you imagine having a leader of the free world who can actually lead?

Old 07-02-2015, 03:36 PM

396 posts, read 409,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
People underestimate Trump. I think he's got a good shot at the prize, but only if he's seriously running, which is yet to be seen. Americans are sick of politicians who promise one thing and don't deliver. None of the republicans defy the left the way Trump is doing. Trump doesn't need the money from "special interest" groups. If he's being as real as I think he is, nobody will be able to pay him off, not now, not in the future.

Trump also doesn't care who he pisses off. He's blunt. He doesn't pander. He doesn't bend. Let's not be so quick to dismiss him.
The fact that there are Americans that see this man as a legitimate candidate is as horrifying as thinking "defying the left" is what is most important in a potential president. As long as this is where Americans want to go ideologically, the political schism that exists in this country will never be healed.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 PM

117 posts, read 118,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
The fact that there are Americans that see this man as a legitimate candidate is as horrifying as thinking "defying the left" is what is most important in a potential president. As long as this is where Americans want to go ideologically, the political schism that exists in this country will never be healed.
The loudmouth "common sense" candidate has been a political fixture since the country was founded. They sort of oscillate in popularity over the decades. When the economy is bad for poor and lower middle class whites they get a lot of support.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:04 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
He doesn't have as much support as it seems. Right now he has an estimated 10% of the 35% or so likely registered voters who are even paying attention to the republican primary candidates.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:41 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Make Mexico mad?

OMG, we should NEVER do that!!!!

Mexico is lucky we don't just march in there and take over the whole country.

At least we'd be getting land out of the deal.

We already have to deal with their people.
LMAO You have got to be kidding. Those statements could have been made in our hey day but dont kid yourself into thinking we can just go into any country and take it over. That was an arrogant comment.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:47 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It's so odd to me that people seem not to understand the basic principles of supply and demand.
If consumers were not willing to patronize these businesses the business owners would have no reason to hire anyone.
If consumers did not make a point of choosing to pay $20, say, rather than $40 for a given service, the establishments that can get away with charging $20 wouldn't be able to do so.
And the reason that they can do so is because they pay their workers a very low wage or they only "employ" family members that may not get paid at all.

It's easy to say that wages should be higher, and perhaps if they were higher in general, people would be willing/able to pay more for those services, but would they?

If we accept that everything is connected, how willing are we in general to pay more for a given service so that our neighbors can earn a better wage and find those service professions attractive and lucrative enough to survive on?

'Cause that's really what it comes down to, isn't it?
Hot flash for ya. Employers who employ illegal aliens are just pocketing the profits from their cheap labor. They aren't passing any savings unto we the consumer. What they do pass on to us are the social costs of their cheap, illegal workers. So we end up paying more for a product than if these employers paid a fair wage to an American with benefits. That's what it really comes down to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events