Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 01:53 AM

1,136 posts, read 925,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
In 2006, House Republicans passed a bill making illegal immigration -- and hiring or harboring illegals -- a felony.

The result was those May 1 Mexican flag demonstrations and "a day without immigrants."

The Democrats voted against the bill.

When the Democrats, who at the time controlled the Senate, debated and passed the latest immigration bill, they wouldn't allow Republicans to put in amendments to toughen the law.

Yes, the Republicans are bad on this issue....but the Democrats have been much worse.
You said the law made illegal immigration and hiring an illegal immagrant a felony. I said a single bill. Perhaps I should have emphasized a bill that only dealt with hiring illegal immigrants and nothing else. Making illegal immigration a felony is just begging the democrats to object. It makes me wounder if the republicans designed the bill to get maximum democratic opposition. In fact it is already illegal to hire an illegal immigrant since they don't have the vorrect documentation to work. You could simply create an enormously heavy fine against any business or individual that hires people under the table. I am talking about a $20,000 per violation fine. You could even talk up how the increased fine will keep employers from hiring people under the table and therefore depriving them legal retaliation when the employer mistreats them. Labor would love this. It would fracture the democratic coalition. Instead republicans would just add just enough poison to the bill to keep democratic opposition solidified against the bill. I don't care if Democrats are worse on illegal immigration. They don't campaign against it so why would I exspect them to be effective in combating it. However republican constantly campaign against and are bad at combating it. Personally I believe they see it as a way to galvanize their base but have no real desire to combat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 AM

922 posts, read 808,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Exactly. I dont get the hate from the middle class/ educated/ legal Hispanics. he clearly was referring to those who sneak over, pollute schools with kids who dont care to learn, juice off the system and commit crimes. But yet they all took it so personally.
Nobody, I mean nobody likes Illegal immigrants, but the situation in the US regarding illegal Mexican immigrants is very complicated, involving certain economic problems, I don't think just building a wall and have Mexicans pay for it is a wise decision.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:23 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
Like my friend used to say about her teenagers, "It's better you don't like what they're saying, than if they're not saying anything at all." Give me someone who says what he really thinks, without spinning every statement in order not to offend anyone. I actually find it an extra, added bonus when the talking heads on the news start sputtering about how offended we all should be. Very entertaining.
Trump is not afraid to offend everyone, and I like it.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
I think I'd much rather see Rand Paul as pres, and Trump as vise Pres. those are some real men .

Old 06-30-2015, 07:24 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,706,325 times
Christie and Trump are waaaaay too "east coast" if u ask me. They're too "eff you, it's my way or the highway".... I dont like that.

Not to mention Trump is a freakin clown, let's be honest here people. We all know he won't make it to the white house, I can guarantee it.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,590,259 times
The fact that anyone could support this clown's desire to be the political leader, head of state and the president of a once great nation clearly shows the world just how far America has fallen.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 AM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
If it's true that Latino citizens and legal immigrants support illegal immigration in violation our nation's laws -- if it's true that they place their ethnicity ahead of their loyalty to this nation and its laws -- then that is all the more reason to keep additional Latinos out of this country.

Of course not all Latinos have a tribal mentality that trumps our laws and the best interests of our nation but far too many do.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The fact that anyone could support this clown's desire to be the political leader, head of state and the president of a once great nation clearly shows the world just how far America has fallen.
Yet many Americans voted for the clown in office now.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM

828 posts, read 909,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Fairly certain he has pissed off most of the legal Latinos, as well. That is a problem he cannot solve--the dye is cast (and this is not a reference to his hair).
Teehee

Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 AM

828 posts, read 909,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
The man can't be bought. And he's no career politician. And so far, he's only talked common sense.

That's 180 degrees from the rest of them. I'm all for it.
Sure.

He'll be doing the buying.

On a serious note, I can't imagine someone alienating the Latino population (the support of which much of the Republican party depends) and winning. You don't have to be Mexican to be disgusted at his comments. "Some, I assume, are good people"? What a douchebag!!!! He's already demonstrated a total lack of judgment and couth. Yuck! I used to live his show a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events