Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Just pay-off all that student-loan debt by transferring it to loans that can be
eliminated in bankruptcy court???????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I never said that someone in there 40’s was a senior citizen, but since we’re going that route I got a few things to add. If you’re over the age of 35 and attending a four-year college fulltime you’re a senior citizen, no lets make that a dinosaur.

There’s not going to be much if any return on that investment, but so few in academia want to admit that. I guess we can talk about personal growth, but that won’t pay anyone’s bills but the university’s.

I just can’t see any reason why we the taxpayers are underwriting thousands of dollars in loans for people that are half spent. I could see taking a class for CEU to keep a professional license or brushing up on some sort of skill, but to tackle a degree program?

It’s going to be fun watching these boomers reap the fruits from the seeds they’re sowing. That person I know in there 40’s a Gen X-er, well they’ll hoe the road right behind them, but hey that four-year degree sure looks pretty in the frame
Geezus..you must be a 19 year old trust fund baby to talk like that. I went to college when I was 35 because prior to that it would have cost me too much to hire child care for my two kids WHO I was supporting alone with no child support and no welfare. Once they were old enough you're damn right I went back to college- and I am really insulted by your insinuation that a person who attends school at 35 is a dinosaur. Get a life

Old 07-05-2015, 10:16 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
We need folks who can lay bricks, or fix cars, or wire your home, fix your yard,.... How about industry...making steel, or cars or many of the things we are currently paying China for.
Immigrants and China does America's actual work, while it's citizens of all ages head off to college in search of work. That's pretty much how it's been working out for the past 5 years or so.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I never said that someone in there 40’s was a senior citizen, but since we’re going that route I got a few things to add. If you’re over the age of 35 and attending a four-year college fulltime you’re a senior citizen, no lets make that a dinosaur.

There’s not going to be much if any return on that investment, but so few in academia want to admit that. I guess we can talk about personal growth, but that won’t pay anyone’s bills but the university’s.

I just can’t see any reason why we the taxpayers are underwriting thousands of dollars in loans for people that are half spent. I could see taking a class for CEU to keep a professional license or brushing up on some sort of skill, but to tackle a degree program?

It’s going to be fun watching these boomers reap the fruits from the seeds they’re sowing. That person I know in there 40’s a Gen X-er, well they’ll hoe the road right behind them, but hey that four-year degree sure looks pretty in the frame
There are plenty of non traditional students at college. The reasons vary. You will see more, too, due to the fact people change jobs because of the economy. Back in the day, more our parents day, there was such a thing as company loyalty and people had job security- that is, obviously, not the case.

What do you expect Generation Xers to do? They are laid off or outsourced, should they NOT look to improve their skills?

Old 07-06-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Geezus..you must be a 19 year old trust fund baby to talk like that. I went to college when I was 35 because prior to that it would have cost me too much to hire child care for my two kids WHO I was supporting alone with no child support and no welfare. Once they were old enough you're damn right I went back to college- and I am really insulted by your insinuation that a person who attends school at 35 is a dinosaur. Get a life
We may, indeed, be dinosaurs but keep in mind our little snow flake will be our age one day, and realize, wow this is NOT old.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uh no, student loans cannot be erased by bankruptcy court.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I worked full time when I was going to college at night as an adult. I went to CC for 2 years, transferred to a 4 year university and never borrowed a dime. I got a promotion at work because of it and moved out of state on Graduation Day (which I missed) with zero debt. The key was never having anything I couldn't afford and that included my education, not job hopping and paying off my credit card every month.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Uh no, student loans cannot be erased by bankruptcy court.
.... Originally Posted by tickyul

Read it again, FP.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Get the government the hell out of the student loan business altogether. It's what causing the problems.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:35 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
.... Originally Posted by tickyul

Read it again, FP.
"Student loan debt is still exempt from bankruptcy even when it is reorganized or refinanced through other forms of credit. That leaves the debtor with the obligation to repay the balances and with the higher interest rates that are likely to come with them. Oh, and there is also the possibility of being hit with legal charges if the court believes that there was intent to defraud the lender"

http://www.clearpointcreditcounselin...ng-bankruptcy/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events