Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 04:30 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,562,337 times

Advertisements

I would agree there is a brain drain in US.

People coming here are, as stated, unskilled, poor and useless.

Right now it's very small but will continue to grow by time.

So sad to see this but country is in a political gridlock.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:57 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,302,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Yes, it can.

No, they don't.

Yes, it does.

Statistics requires about 2,000 people to represent the population of the US (which is 320,000,000 btw.)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/sample-size-calculator/

For 320 million people, a confidence level of 95% (standard), and a margin of error of 2%, the number of people needed to accurately represent the population is 2,401. For a 3% margin of error, you'd need just 1,068 people.
Totally agree, but your comment is totally wasted.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,535,934 times
If I was younger then I most definitely would leave. I don't give America all that long, if the country doesn't face reality with itself. The lack of a society that is functioning at all, is causing the country to literally break apart.

Mark my words if the USA doesn't get itself, on a proper path and immediately. Then we won't make it much longer. The problems are just to massive with no one to lead us out. There doesn't seem to be any interest in fixing the violence. People can't afford doctors and medical care. There are so many illegals, in some regions of the country it is a disgrace. No one seems to care, certainly not politicians, and a lot of Americans are just as bad.

Of course people are showing signs they have had enough. If that means leaving then so be it.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
I'm in the process of getting my son his Irish citizenship and passport.
Not that I want him to leave but I want him to have options available.

He's just starting out. What will the US workplace look like in 20-30 years ?
It's not so great now with cheaper labor found offshore or importing them with the blessing of Congress.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,203,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
But now? Almost all of these skilled workers in my industry go back to their home countries from the US, or sometimes a third country rather than stay in the US once their permit is up (for some reason Germany is hugely popular, though a lot are also going to BRICS countries for opportunities) I've talked to them about this because it's been deeply distressing to see this trend-- in the past, many of these people had become my close friends and (in one case through marriage) even a relative. So why are they all leaving now? Naturally the single biggest reason is just personal (being closer to family and friends), but after that, the two primary reasons for skilled workers leaving are fundamental US policy failures that are strongly discouraging smart, skilled people from staying or even coming to the US. One is the USA's bloated, predatory, corrupt, ineffective, terrifyingly expensive and bankrupting healthcare system even for those who have health insurance if by some quirk your doctors are "out of your network".

I've already said a lot on the disaster of US health care here, since this is driving even many US-born Americans out of the USA for good. People I know have a palpable and very justified, deep seated fear of bankruptcy or financial disaster if they get sick in the USA, even if they have health insurance. How the hell is an American supposed to reassure themselves or their families about their financial security when they can be socked with bankrupting medical bills even if they have a good job with good insurance (and high premiums for it) yet still get slammed because some ambulance took them to a hospital out of network while they were unconscious? Or get crushed with a bill that drains their savings for appendicitis (which you cannot prevent by the way-- if appendicitis hits you, it hits you, and you need immediate surgery for it). Or get billed over $100,000 by a surgeon you never authorized and never even met? Keep in mind that this does not happen in any other country, anywhere in the world (which is also a big reason why so many Americans are doing medical tourism overseas-- even the flight and hotel it's cheaper to get treatment there). And with skilled immigrants to the USA, remember they're almost 100% coming from a country that does have universal healthcare, and generally for the same or a bit lower tax rate than USA when you factor in all the taxes (US healthcare is most expensive despite low quality, which eats up a lot of tax dollars)-- even those who come from "3rd world countries". So skilled immigrants, with plenty of options, just go back home once they've saved up some money in the US, understandably not wanting to deal with the horrors of the US healthcare system.
The US healthcare system is a disaster in so many ways. It's an issue that would make me want to leave the US if I had the real option to live and work in Europe. We need some form of universal healthcare. Our current system is bad for people, and the other issue right wingers refuse to acknowledge is that it's also bad for business, and often disastrous for small business. The cost of health insurance premiums have become so outrageous the average small business owner simply can't compete with the large multinationals. Health insurance needs to be separated from employment, and available for everyone at a reasonable cost. Every other first world country makes sure all of it's citizens are able to receive health care, and they spend less than we do.

The US puts insurance, hospital, and pharmaceutical company profit above it's citizens. The US puts corporate profits above all. I wonder how bad it has to get for the average citizen before people start fighting back. People need to stop falling for the divisive rhetoric causing them to fight with each other, and pretending this is a R vs D issue, and realize that our representatives are not working for us. If we stood together we could demand change.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymike View Post
There are international flights leaving on the hour at an airport near you.

International flights depart only from international airports.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,520 times
Are those 1/3 any of the illegal immigrants? Liberals consider them Americans too. Maybe send them to occupy Syria since there are plenty of vacancies there now.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The US healthcare system is a disaster in so many ways. It's an issue that would make me want to leave the US if I had the real option to live and work in Europe. We need some form of universal healthcare. Our current system is bad for people, and the other issue right wingers refuse to acknowledge is that it's also bad for business, and often disastrous for small business. The cost of health insurance premiums have become so outrageous the average small business owner simply can't compete with the large multinationals. Health insurance needs to be separated from employment, and available for everyone at a reasonable cost. Every other first world country makes sure all of it's citizens are able to receive health care, and they spend less than we do.

The US puts insurance, hospital, and pharmaceutical company profit above it's citizens. The US puts corporate profits above all. I wonder how bad it has to get for the average citizen before people start fighting back. People need to stop falling for the divisive rhetoric causing them to fight with each other, and pretending this is a R vs D issue, and realize that our representatives are not working for us. If we stood together we could demand change.
If what I bolded is true, and I do think it is, then what makes you think a government run national health insurance program (shades of Obamacare) would be any better ?

I'm in a grandfathered plan. Before Obamacare it was considered a high deductible plan. I'm healthy so that's what I took. My "high deductible" is less than Obamacare out of pocket.

Obamacare made health insurance more costly for everyone.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,520 times
Obamacare. An oxymoron.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Are those 1/3 any of the illegal immigrants? Liberals consider them Americans too. Maybe send them to occupy Syria since there are plenty of vacancies there now.
I'm sure the illegals don't want to leave. They have it better than citizens here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events