Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
But criminals are affected by changes in the law. Tighter gun laws = harder for criminals to get guns.

Somehow gun nuts can't seem to grasp this simple concept.
Gun laws can provide protection of law abiding citizens while keeping nutjobs/criminals from getting weapons- just have to be smart in what laws to implement -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Tough gun laws do nothing, criminals will get their guns regardless and violent crime will never end especially with all the money involved in the drug trade. It's MURICA deal with it people.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:40 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
But criminals are affected by changes in the law. Tighter gun laws = harder for criminals to get guns.

Somehow gun nuts can't seem to grasp this simple concept.

Only marginally would this affect criminals. They will still find ways to get them and unless you've totally buried your head in the sand, you know this. The only significant thing that will happen (and is happening in the major cities where they're banned) is law abiding people won't be able to defend themselves and crime will get worse. There's a thriving black market in guns that would only grow exponentially if we had a nationwide ban. After all, how's that total ban on drugs working? I'm not for lifting any ban on drugs, but it's a good example on what would happen if we had your "prohibition" on firearms.

Now before we battle back and forth further, I'm going to state that I agree with you somewhat, depending on what these tighter gun laws are. Examples that I can see a reason for trying to ban would be armor piercing bullets, any fully automatic weapons, large capacity clips, guns larger than a certain caliber (within reason), as well as having felons with records for any type of aggravated assault not being allowed to own or possess a firearm. I also believe in background checks as well as a reasonable delay (1 week or less) before being allowed to purchase any firearm. I do NOT agree with the fanatics who propose that authorities try to strong arm the populace to categorize every existing gun currently owned.

I'm not an NRA eccentric, but I fully believe in the right to bear arms for varmint hunting, regulated hunting, and protection.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Only marginally would this affect criminals. They will still find ways to get them and unless you've totally buried your head in the sand, you know this. The only significant thing that will happen (and is happening in the major cities where they're banned) is law abiding people won't be able to defend themselves and crime will get worse. There's a thriving black market in guns that would only grow exponentially if we had a nationwide ban. After all, how's that total ban on drugs working? I'm not for lifting any ban on drugs, but it's a good example on what would happen if we had your "prohibition" on firearms.

Now before we battle back and forth further, I'm going to state that I agree with you somewhat, depending on what these tighter gun laws are. Examples that I can see a reason for trying to ban would be armor piercing bullets, any fully automatic weapons, large capacity clips, guns larger than a certain caliber (within reason), as well as having felons with records for any type of aggravated assault not being allowed to own or possess a firearm. I also believe in background checks as well as a reasonable delay (1 week or less) before being allowed to purchase any firearm. I do NOT agree with the fanatics who propose that authorities try to strong arm the populace to categorize every existing gun currently owned.

I'm not an NRA eccentric, but I fully believe in the right to bear arms for varmint hunting, regulated hunting, and protection.
Getting an illegal gun in the inner city is as easy to walking down the street. I have heard of 12 year old selling guns before in some cities.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,574,109 times
What's crazy is, due to draconian gun laws in my state, I cant even get a ccp for my line of work that requires me to carry large sums of cash. Why?... Because of a fist fight I had 19yrs ago when I was a teenager. They deemed me "violent" as if having a fight as a teen is something out of the ordinary. So now I have to resort to carrying a much less effective self defense weapon while competing with the criminals who carry guns freely.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times
God so many nut jobs all over the place.

Forget about guns and other stuff.

US needs to figure why there are so many crazies out there.

It's unbelievable.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Just do what every other sensible poster does and let them have their fun. They are not hurting anyone just because no one takes them seriously. Treat them like you would treat a sarcastic 13 year old. Laugh internally and walk away.
And learn how to spell cocaine.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
God so many nut jobs all over the place.

Forget about guns and other stuff.

US needs to figure why there are so many crazies out there.

It's unbelievable.
I can tell you because the USA doesn't address mental illness and the liberals want to let the mental ill roam the streets because it is too cruel to lock them up in a mental institution.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:31 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
NYC probably has the tightest gun laws in the country. Automatic 3 1/2 years just for possession of one. These strict gun laws have done nothing to prevent the daily/weekly shootings that go on here. All it does is drive up gun running businesses.
That's because guns come from outside of NYC, where it is very easy to get guns. When all your neighbors are making it easy to get guns, it doesn't really matters how tough you make it.

That's another point you've made, we need tighter gun laws.... everywhere!

Old 07-06-2015, 04:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Gun laws can provide protection of law abiding citizens while keeping nutjobs/criminals from getting weapons- just have to be smart in what laws to implement -

Then how come it has never worked that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events