Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:05 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm white also.

1. If you've done nothing, there is no reason to feel bad.
2. No one is trying to make you feel bad. No one is trying to make you feel guilty.
3. We live in a world where racism does exist. It's a true fact.
4. We also live in a world where white people have privilege just by being white.
5. Lastly, Black people and white people live completely different lives and have different life experiences.

As for the documentary, I think the intention is to discuss what it says "what it means to be white." Being white really is different than being Black, Asian, or Latino.

I don't see a problem.

#2 and #4 are wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:18 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Just more things to divide the country, that's why race relations are as bad as they are now. However, it's usually okay when it going against the white race, never ok when it goes against any other race so I can only imagine the concept behind this show.
Based on prior interactions, you seem like a pretty well adjusted, intelligent person. I'm curious why strong gun advocacy so often goes along with this belief. I've just never understood why the two so often coexist in the same person.

I don't think it's "dividing the country" to point out the institutional, systemic privilege white people have, even if individuals do not actively perpetuate it.

The election of a black president really brought a lot of this issue. Just look at the Obama Birther movement. They were perfectly fine with Ted Cruz, an actual immigrant with only one American parent, running for president. That means the whole issue of Obama's birth certificate was just pure racism against a black man in office.

Now, I've experienced plenty of outright racism from black people, myself. It's not a one way street, but I don't get why making a documentary exploring white people's relationship to race issues is dividing us.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:25 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
2. No one is trying to make you feel bad. ...
3. We live in a world where racism does exist. It's a true fact.
4. We also live in a world where white people have privilege just by being white.
I'm not clear how 2 goes along with 3 and 4.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
#2 and #4 are wrong
I can at-least agree with #4 to an extent. In NYC you're way less likely to get stopped by the police than a person of color (and if you want to bring well look at the amount of crime committed by them) the majority of those stopped by the police were found innocent.

The Barneys incident, along with other stories of racial profiling.

#2 I can agree because I don't know the true intentions of everyone involved, and I've encountered some extremists who want want Whites to take responsibility for their ancestors, just like the extremists on the other side want Blacks to take responsibility for other Blacks. It's ridiculous.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Based on prior interactions, you seem like a pretty well adjusted, intelligent person. I'm curious why strong gun advocacy so often goes along with this belief. I've just never understood why the two so often coexist in the same person.

I don't think it's "dividing the country" to point out the institutional, systemic privilege white people have, even if individuals do not actively perpetuate it.

The election of a black president really brought a lot of this issue. Just look at the Obama Birther movement. They were perfectly fine with Ted Cruz, an actual immigrant with only one American parent, running for president. That means the whole issue of Obama's birth certificate was just pure racism against a black man in office.

Now, I've experienced plenty of outright racism from black people, myself. It's not a one way street, but I don't get why making a documentary exploring white people's relationship to race issues is dividing us.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
As for gun advocacy, I was raised around guns. We use guns from everything from hunting to self protection. We lived in a not so nice area before (Marrerro, LA) and my dad had to pull a gun more than once to defend himself, he didn't have to fire but my mom did once. I was taught from a young age how to use them and respect them. Now I'm home alone often with a younger son and use my knowledge for self protection if needed. I was born and raised in south Louisiana.

Shows like this are dividing the country because once again, it's something based on race. We need to look at ourselves as Americans, people, humans, and as long as we keep separating everything by race, the division will continue. Remember the whole content of one's character rather than the color of one's skin?

As for Obama birthers and Cruz, I never believed the whole birther thing and didn't really care. There is a rule that the president had to be born in America so if that's the rule, Cruz is out, simple as that. I have no thoughts on the rule either way. Never thought much about it.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
As for gun advocacy, I was raised around guns. We use guns from everything from hunting to self protection. We lived in a not so nice area before (Marrerro, LA) and my dad had to pull a gun more than once to defend himself, he didn't have to fire but my mom did once. I was taught from a young age how to use them and respect them. Now I'm home alone often with a younger son and use my knowledge for self protection if needed. I was born and raised in south Louisiana.

Shows like this are dividing the country because once again, it's something based on race. We need to look at ourselves as Americans, people, humans, and as long as we keep separating everything by race, the division will continue. Remember the whole content of one's character rather than the color of one's skin?

As for Obama birthers and Cruz, I never believed the whole birther thing and didn't really care. There is a rule that the president had to be born in America so if that's the rule, Cruz is out, simple as that. I have no thoughts on the rule either way. Never thought much about it.
I agree it would be great to look at ourselves as humans and let the race issues go, but you must understand that there are many who very much wish to keep white (and male) dominance. Cultures don't change overnight and we have vast legacy of white people aggressively holding control, so we have to end that issue first and we'll then be able to get to the high ground you envision.

I wasn't lumping you in with the Birthers - only using it as an example of how entrenched racism among some radical factions of white people remains today. The phrase "natural-born citizen" is not clearly defined in the Constitution but includes those born in foreign countries with American parents.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I did hear about this show .

I guess it might be interesting to watch it. But if the whole idea is to make white people feel bad or guilty then I think it's dumb.

I'm white or at least that's the category I check on those boxes.

But I feel there's are different kinds of white people too.

I think to classify all white people together as being the same is just as bad as saying all black people are the same.

There are many people that are classified as white or caucasian where I live but they come from other cultures.

These people aren't going to have much in common with a 'white person' that was born in a small town and both their parents were born in the U.S , and their grandparents and greatgrandparents.

I feel there is quite a bit of racism and bitterness against white people , I live in L.A and I often here people that are not white posting stuff on social media for example making fun of white people. Or saying stuff like that stupid white guy. I've had people say negative stuff about white people in front of me and it's kind of awkward.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:27 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I agree it would be great to look at ourselves as humans and let the race issues go, but you must understand that there are many who very much wish to keep white (and male) dominance. Cultures don't change overnight and we have vast legacy of white people aggressively holding control, so we have to end that issue first and we'll then be able to get to the high ground you envision.
While your statement is true, it's definitely not just problems with white people. There are many black people who use the racial divide as a crutch or an excuse for so many things wrong. The black culture has a lot of things that they like to place blame for when in fact, they must begin to repair in their own lives. I sat in the same inner city schools right along side many black people. We had the same teacher, same books, same principal. In fact, my school was about 80% black, but yet I always hear how I was privileged with access to better schools/education, only because I'm white. It's just excuses for poor decisions and judgement. Personal responsibility goes a long way. So my point is, you clearly only blamed the reasoning for keeping division on white people so I had to throw that wrench in there. Making a show called "white people" which looks to be mostly about so called white privilege and shaming the white race is taking 10 steps back. Look around, watch & read the news, is it really the white race that needs to be shamed?

Old 07-11-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
While your statement is true, it's definitely not just problems with white people. There are many black people who use the racial divide as a crutch or an excuse for so many things wrong. The black culture has a lot of things that they like to place blame for when in fact, they must begin to repair in their own lives. I sat in the same inner city schools right along side many black people. We had the same teacher, same books, same principal. In fact, my school was about 80% black, but yet I always hear how I was privileged with access to better schools/education, only because I'm white. It's just excuses for poor decisions and judgement. Personal responsibility goes a long way. So my point is, you clearly only blamed the reasoning for keeping division on white people so I had to throw that wrench in there. Making a show called "white people" which looks to be mostly about so called white privilege and shaming the white race is taking 10 steps back. Look around, watch & read the news, is it really the white race that needs to be shamed?
That's true that white racism is used as a crutch and, as I said above, I've definitely experienced black racism against others and the liberal culture of guilt against white people. I'm in a very mixed environment so am pretty much over all that.

I think when people talk of white privilege, they mean accounting for all other socioeconomic factors. A dirt poor white person has very little privilege in the world, but might get that job as a gas station cashier over someone who's Arabic or black. He might not get choked or gunned down by a police officer over the same infraction.

Imagine how much more powerful the argument against that would be if we could look out at culture and say, "no one's holding you back or treating you differently because of your skin color. Get over it."

But we can't do that yet.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:56 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Only idiots and bubble heads watch MTV. So it really doesn't matter.
True. But it might matter just the same.
Idiots and bubble heads make up the majority of the Democratic party and can be convinced to vote if they think there is something in it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events