Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:35 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
Once back in Ohio, I saw a man roll down an enbankment along 275 during a snowstorm. I pulled over and ran down to see if he was OK. He was stlii conscious , busted up pretty bad and really drunk. I tokk him to the hospital myself before any emergency vehicles arrived.
I applaud you for your humanity, however I'm not so sure that was the right thing to do. He may have had an injury that may have been exaserbated by moving him, like a broken neck. Also you could have set yourself up for a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:40 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
This was only a few miles from my house. What a worthless piece of crap.

Just like the jackasses who write the heartless 'Darwin Award' posts about people that they know nothing about other than one moment of lapsed judgement.

Try a little empathy.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
I knew someone who ended up unemployed for becoming locally famous for the wrong reasons.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:11 PM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
As a certified First Responder, I find this waste of oxygen's actions reprehensible, yet I understand them living in the world we are in today. Many people are inherently selfish. The bystander effect is a great example of this, yet those who film with complete disregard of the victims are on another level entirely.

I was asked by a friend several months back "If you knew you were going to die doing something, how would you want it to go down". I immediately responded with "I would want it to be in the process of saving another's life". There was no thought required in this response.

If I was a responder in a life or death situation and I saw an individual just laughing and filming away with total disregard, I would slap the equipment out of their hand. Go ahead and sue me. You can't draw blood from a stone, and even if I had something to lose, I believe enough people would back me to make things right again.

As another poster stated, who's at fault is irrelevant in these types of moments. There is a process in place to settle these matters in calmer times. A life is a life. When I think back on my adolescent years, I can think of many instances where there had to be some type of angel watching over me. Many people have done much less in terms of stupid things than me and lost their life. I could just as well be dead or in prison.

We live in a different world these days. It can be seen all around us. You don't have to look far. Good people are noticed. Bad people are noticed too. Pick your path, and whatever path you choose, make sure it is one you can live with after the dust has settled. Your conscience depends on it.
While I agree with you and think what this man did was reprehensible, I don't want to spread misconception either. There is no report stating the man laughed. I believe he was angry at them for being so stupid and thought filming them would get other kids not to speed.....I think it was horrible judgement and I'm sure he regrets it now, but as awful as I think he was, I don't believe he was doing it for enjoyment of any sort and haven't seen a single news report implying he did.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The, um, "child" had 17 years.

Wanna guess how fast they were going? Well, they weren't going the speed limit or any reasonable speed.

No amount of first-aid would have helped, and given their critical injuries, first aid could have caused more harm than good.

My guess would be this isn't the first time "idiots" tried to "jump" the railroad tracks for a thrill and ended up in someone's yard.

At least the parents get to watch the video to see where they failed in raising their child. Maybe someone can learn from it.

Comforting....

Mircea
The penalty for excessive speed and possibly reckless driving will be a few hundred dollars for the driver. The passenger will not be charged. It's amazing that you can believe these are killing offenses.

You are more despicable that the budding videographer.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:53 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,489,072 times
I want to believe that people making some of these awful comments are able to do so because they are just here reading about the event and are thus detached from the reality of it, and if these same people were actually faced with such a situation of someone really needing help, they would do whatever they could to help.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:40 AM

76 posts, read 254,578 times
Nigh crawlers

Old 07-19-2015, 05:17 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
If I am first on scene,
1. call 911
2.administer aid to the best of my ability and training.
In Search and rescue ,you understand there are liabilities being involved,
( I spent 5 years in S&R 20 years ago)
and if you don't have the training (up to date)or equipment to do the job properly,
you are not obligated by any means, to make any further action . Good Sameritan laws don't always protect you.
Now it depends on the event and the length of time it may take for rescue teams to arrive.
A judgment call due to weather conditions and or the lack of communications can be chancy ,but those are risks you take.
I have participated on mountain rescue and over the side recovery as well as street accidents as well.
I always keep a certain amount of rescue gear with me even on the motorcycle , it's come in handy even for my self.
If there are rescue teams already in action ,I move along . it's best not to get in the way of the pros. unless they request it.
Pressure bandages are the most critical tool in most heavily bleeding events usually because there is more then one point of bleeding or others in need as well.
I keep a few surplus military pressure bandages in the bag for handing out.
There is value in having some one video taping the event , the audio and video can cover your butt if some one makes a complaint. But I would not be filming in place of helping, being solo on scene .

Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Well, at least with all the publicity, the people who come into contact with this guy probably realize that they are dealing with a sociopath and know to steer clear.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:13 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
At least the parents get to watch the video to see where they failed in raising their child. Maybe someone can learn from it.

Comforting....

Mircea
Since you have a suggestion for the parents, I have one for you.

However, my suggestion to you is actually anatomically impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events