Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 06:06 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times

Advertisements

Who the heck are the Duggars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 06:17 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Who the heck are the Duggars?
I am not sure, but I have it on good authority that they have engaged in sexual intercourse at least 19 times. *Dry heave*

Mick

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-17-2015 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 07-17-2015, 07:25 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
The obsession some people have about this familiy is mind boggling, and frankly a little worrisome. No, I am not just talking about their fans.

Now, can we move on the other things.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The obsession some people have about this familiy is mind boggling, and frankly a little worrisome. No, I am not just talking about their fans.

Now, can we move on the other things.
Why do you say that?

They have chosen to put themselves out there on TV. They are certainly unusual in their religious beliefs, with the clothes they wear and how simple the lives they lead are, they are very plain, odd people, who did used to come across as rather boring and loving before all this. They are members of a controversial cult, with its own demons and history of abuse. Then there's the fact there's 19 kids (highly unusual today) and now multiple grandkids, as the children are following in the parents' footsteps and having kids probably until they realize they no longer can. THEN a sex abuse scandal comes out and the circus continues.

If people don't want to be judged or criticized, or praised, they shouldn't go on TV. It's not surprising people discuss controversial and odd families, especially when something like this happens.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It looks like Duggars will be involved in one of the specials about Child Sexual Abuse. That will be OK if professionals, who have had dozens of years treating victims and perp can be included too. This family won't break their denial on tv.

I thought one of the victims was going to South America on a mission. I wonder how long her mission is, or how TLC will film her The special to air next month....

I'll still take this news. Families in denial don't belong on tv.

MSR
I find the whole idea of them participating in a special about abuse to be quite unusual especially given their Fox Interviews on how they were not victims. IF they were not victims ~ then how will they educate the public about child sexual abuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Meh. There are a hundred worse "reality" shows.
There ARE some horrible reality shows, on this we agree. Half of them need to go off the air. And 19 Kids is one of them. There was nothing real about the lives they portrayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Damn PC Police. A little fondling of little sisters (and a babysitter) is no big deal in the Bible Belt. . . . is that the argument? I dunno.

Mick
Seems to be.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:04 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Damn PC Police. A little fondling of little sisters (and a babysitter) is no big deal in the Bible Belt. . . . is that the argument? I dunno.

Mick
Well, one of them. It's a big enough deal the former state legislature father knew statutes. They conviently failed to report the sexual abuse until the statute of limitations had expired. Additionally, the parents, locked kids in their bedrooms at night, which could have been deadly had there been a fire.

The Quiverfull movement and Gothard teach a girl is responsible if a boy violates her sexually. This is kept so quiet partly because of what happens to the Victims being blamed. What girls then go through is consistent with Gothard ' s philosophies.

One daughter was 5 y.o. when this happened. She's still not an adult.

Bill Gothard is the never - married leader of this home school curriculum, the ATI home school meetings and is currently facing charges of sexual harassment to sexual abuse (depends on the source) for about 36 teen girls and women.

For many people, the biggest conflict is this family and TLC marketed their show on family values. Those marrying didn't kiss prior to their marriage ceremony. The engaged couples had side hugs so no "frontal" contact. But then we learn prior to the TLC show, the family had a son sexually violate four of their daughters. It's not that Christians don't have problems in life. It's that these parents would speak at conferences, for $25,000/weekend as they promoted they knew how to raise children correctly.

Being hypocritical, while not taking responsibility for getting their family the professional help needed, let alone ending their (the parents') denial is what I've read the most.

I admire you, Mick, for asking a clarifying question. It's much easier to assume one knows than to ask and make sure there is clear communication.

MSR

Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I find the whole idea of them participating in a special about abuse to be quite unusual especially given their Fox Interviews on how they were not victims. IF they were not victims ~ then how will they educate the public about child sexual abuse?

There ARE some horrible reality shows, on this we agree. Half of them need to go off the air. And 19 Kids is one of them. There was nothing real about the lives they portrayed.

Seems to be.
I agree, Ringo. Especially because they and their "handler," Gov. Huckabee appointed , limited Megyn Kelly of what they would even answer in that interview. There will be others included in that special too, but it's only an hour. We can hope some strong national experts get to address those uneducated about sexual abuse. Magazine editors with no specialized training in sex abuse picked out the "Seven blatant lies," during the Kelly interview.

Some who were victimized and never told may find sources for help now from RAIN and the other Child Sexual Abuse Agency who will be involved.

There are some very bad reality shows. I don't know enough to make a comment about them. But 19 Kids and Counting became that when the deception was learned.

Some people may get help from a special, especially seeing the denial in this family even today. They still have minor children at home. None of us know why DHL was called again about one of their children just two months ago. Maybe some will leave Quiverfull and all it does to make women less than second class citizens.

This is a time line of events:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-josh-duggar/

Also useful, IMO, the advertisers who listened to the public and pulled their ads from the show:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...uggar-scandal/

And the In Touch Weekly Legally obtained report that started it the secret to be exposed:
Bombshell Duggar Police Report: Jim Bob Duggar Didn

It's been a long two months, Ringo. I'm glad more truth became known!

MSR

Old 07-17-2015, 11:07 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,828 times
They replaced one drama with another... now we gat jaz.... yea!!!!

Our world is so screwed up and people who suck up this garbage and approve of it are ruining America

Old 07-17-2015, 11:27 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It looks like Duggars will be involved in one of the specials about Child Sexual Abuse. That will be OK if professionals, who have had dozens of years treating victims and perp can be included too. This family won't break their denial on tv.

I thought one of the victims was going to South America on a mission. I wonder how long her mission is, or how TLC will film her The special to air next month....

I'll still take this news. Families in denial don't belong on tv.

MSR
The Duggars won't ever break their denial at all. They will regret it, but they'll always use it first because taking self-responsibility is an alien concept to Mom and Dad. They handed that over to Jesus too long ago.

And never understood Jesus didn't want it. It's all in the Bible. Self-responsibility is not a sin, but lack of it can lead to sin.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Now if only TLC would be taken off the air entirely the world would be a much better place. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events