Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 AM

477 posts, read 509,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I don't care if the family was wrong (and from this article, I don't think they were) - this business owner is kookoo for Coco puffs. I think it's sad that some people are sticking up for this ******, as the article states.
The diner owner was wrong, but the parents were most definitely wrong. I NEVER allowed my son to show his ass in public like that. Not even at age 2. There is no excuse for imposing a screaming crying child on everyone around in a public place. If my son was having a temper tantrum, out we went. No pancakes for baby!

Believe you me, he learned to control himself in public lickety-split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I support the restaurant owner; why should everyone else have to listen to someone else's kid melting down? Take it outside!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
wow, that was super obnoxious...what a psycho...and really, her restaurant is so small she can't accomodate 3 regular sized pancakes? what?
The diner is famous for their pancakes, which are huge confections stuffed with fruit.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:29 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If anything, he should have shouted at the parents.

Or just asked them politely to take the kid out.
It's a she.

I would have preferred that she not say anything...just grin and bear it, unless a different customer asks her to do something. And even then, go no further than politely asking them to take their kid outside.

Or, if she had really good social skills and was good with kids (it seems that she's not), she could've used humor to try and defuse the situation. If done well, the kid would've calmed down and the parents and other customers would have been appreciative of her gesture.

Losing her temper and screaming directly at the kid is wrong, period. It's obviously unprofessional. She has mental issues. While I may get a bit irritated with parents who don't control their wailing kids, an incident like this would make me far less likely to eat at that diner in the future.

My experiences concur with what another poster in this thread said earlier...that it's usually other customers that directly ask the parents of the crying child to take the child out. Employees usually don't say anything, and I don't blame them.

People have to be real careful about how they talk to parents about their kids. A lot of parents do not like and may even take offense to being told what to do regarding their children.

When you open a restaurant (particularly one that caters to lower and middle-class incomes, like Marcy's Diner), you will encounter the occasional misbehaving kid or unruly teen. It comes with the territory, and employees and ownership need to know that and have thick skin about it. Darla Neugebauer (the owner) may be in the wrong line of work.

If I was an owner or manager of any establishment and I caught or found out that one of my employees was berating a little kid, then that employee would be fired pronto.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:33 AM

99,552 posts, read 4,490,935 times
FYI...this is Portland, Maine....not Portland, Oregon.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I don't agree with the owner........but too many parents let their kids run rough shod in public. They think their kid is special and doesn't have to follow society's norms.

One little kid was playing with his utensils/talking loudly when I was eating at Morton's........really Morton's go to a family rest.

Teach your kids some manners please and don't be a douche to a kid take that out on their douche parents
Oh my heavens, poor you! TALKING LOUDLY and playing with the silverware! However did you bear up under that terrible, terrible burden?

I would never under any circumstance inflict a crying child on people at large. But talking "loudly"? You sound like an acquaintance of mine who objects to the presence of any child anywhere in public. If they speak at all, they are "talking loudly".

Morton's - a freakin' chain "steakhouse". You make it sound like you were dining at the Savoy. I've got news for you - Morton's IS a "family restaurant", if by "family restaurant" you mean uninspired cookie cutter eatery. LOL!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Mel Gibson heard about this and said - "Now that's a meltdown!"

Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
It's a she.

I would have preferred that she not say anything...just grin and bear it, unless a different customer asks her to do something. And even then, go no further than politely asking them to take their kid outside.

Or, if she had really good social skills and was good with kids (it seems that she's not), she could've used humor to try and defuse the situation. If done well, the kid would've calmed down and the parents and other customers would have been appreciative of her gesture.

Losing her temper and screaming directly at the kid is wrong, period. It's obviously unprofessional. She has mental issues. While I may get a bit irritated with parents who don't control their wailing kids, an incident like this would make me far less likely to eat at that diner in the future.

My experiences concur with what another poster in this thread said earlier...that it's usually other customers that directly ask the parents of the crying child to take the child out. Employees usually don't say anything, and I don't blame them.

People have to be real careful about how they talk to parents about their kids. A lot of parents do not like and may even take offense to being told what to do regarding their children.

When you open a restaurant (particularly one that caters to lower and middle-class incomes, like Marcy's Diner), you will encounter the occasional misbehaving kid or unruly teen. It comes with the territory, and employees and ownership need to know that and have thick skin about it. Darla Neugebauer (the owner) may be in the wrong line of work.

If I was an owner or manager of any establishment and I caught or found out that one of my employees was berating a little kid, then that employee would be fired pronto.
If you were the owner and did that (and most likely fail miserably in addressing the screaming kid), I would not eat at your restaurant again.

If poor parents with bad skills cannot take good advice, then they will remain poor parents. I could care less if they get offended. Shut the kid up or get out.

I bet the restaurant will see a spike in its business in the next few weeks, on top of its already famous pancakes. More people will turn out just to support it.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is a growing problem with parents who don't parent their kids in public. Countless threads about misbehaving kids on airplanes, in restaurants, stores...

For a while, I followed a thread about children diagnosed on the autism spectrum and how intolerant others are of their behavior in public. Parents insisted that they had a right to bring their child on airplanes, to restaurants etc. even if the stimuli overwhelmed/frightened their child. Some posted that they put t-shirts on their kids that said they were autistic and please be patient.

I'm at a loss at why these parents think others should have to put up with their children's inability to handle certain situations or their own lack of planning and/or poor parenting skills.
I repped your other post, but this I cannot agree with. What you propose amounts to ostracism. Families with an autistic child don't need further isolation and criticism. And people DO need to understand and tolerate the presence in public of the autistic, people in wheelchairs, people with Tourette's, etc etc etc.

However your average 2 year old screaming for 15 minutes is a situation that CAN be handled. That child CAN learn to control his/her reactions, but won't if the parent just ignores the situation.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Seriously though, what's up with the pancakes? They didn't want to make what the customer ordered just because they knew it was too much food? Why offer it on the menu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events