Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

A minimum wage increase will raise all wages, not just those at the bottom. It should be applauded by both political parties. More money will be spent in the economy and the deficit will be reduced because we won't be spending as much on welfare benefits for minimum wage workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No they are not all the same. Walmart gets revenue from all over the world. Joe's pizza shop gets revenue from just his neighborhood.

How are they all the same ?
I'm sure Joe's pizza shop doesn't also have expenses like a $1 billion a year electric bill.

Quote:
That's right. Papa John's uses a conveyor belt to cook the pizza.
The dough is all pre-prepared and all the ingredients are pre-measured.

My son's first job at 16 was Papa John's and he was in the back making pizza his first day.

The mom and pop places don't do that. They actually need someone who knows how to make pizza from scratch. And those places are becoming far and few between as the Papa John's and Domino's take over.
I'm sure they're taking over because Americans vote with their wallets and decide to eat at those chains instead. This was happening before issues with MW.

Now that you mention it, if anything, the mom and pop shops would be getting the better value for their money by having someone who can actually make pizza, vs. the PJ and Dominoes employee who's really an "unskilled pizza assembly" person.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I agree business owners should expect some increase in costs...but in L.A for example the wage would go up over 50% in less than 5 years..that's a pretty big hike.

Keep in mind if the business owners go broke or can't afford to operate that kind of business model...they'll just move on to other areas.

I think it's strange that the same people that have the mentality of "who cares if a business owner fails because their costs go up a lot...would be screaming bloody murder in the streets if rent went up over 50% in the same amount of time...or the cost of groceries ,etc"

We've seen what happens when it becomes to difficult a business ...the business shuts down and many people lose their jobs.

Who is going to move into the space where the fast food place (that employed a lot of people) couldn't make it because they can't afford to pay $15 an hour?
Who wants to work a job that can't afford a livable wage?

Whenever someone argues that businesses are hurting, folks can always just counter-argue to the workers that they should've found a better job that pays better. Well, right back at these businesses... they should've started a business that wasn't so teetering on the edge, living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

Whenever someone argues that businesses are hurting, folks can always just counter-argue to the workers that they should've found a better job that pays better. Well, right back at these businesses... they should've started a business that wasn't so teetering on the edge, living paycheck to paycheck.
Sure but this is just the nature of these businesses .

You know what's a higher profit margin business ?
A liquor / convience store .

Take a look at how many people work in those usually versus a restaraurnt...

A huge percentage of min wage workers work in fast food because that's where those jobs are ?
Do you think it would be better just to eliminate the fast food industry ?

I hear this argument a lot but all these business owners didn't sign up for a $15 wage
Their business model was on the min wage whatever it was at the time .

It would be more like if business owners rallied to cut the minimum wage instead of $9 we are going to give you $6 an hour .

Because yes, paying $15 an hour comes out of their pocket .

If you take away any incentive for them to own a business they'll just move elsewhere or invest their money in the stock market or something else where they don't have to deal with employees .

That's an obvious and likely risk that the pro $15 hr people are too arrogant to see.

Are min wage workers going to open their own fast food places when they close?
Are the politicians going to put up money so they can open their own shops ?

Nobody from the pro $15 party seems to have done research to see how slim the profit margins are on these businesses .
I'm not talking about individual businesses but just the entire industry .

Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

Let's see..teens still living at home, college students that want spending money, people already working a first job that want extra money.

Plenty of folks that would work FF p/t that aren't looking for "livable wages".

When I was younger I did p/t work at Christmas time for extra money.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Let's see..teens still living at home, college students that want spending money, people already working a first job that want extra money.

Plenty of folks that would work FF p/t that aren't looking for "livable wages".

When I was younger I did p/t work at Christmas time for extra money.
Exactly. These jobs were not traditionally supposed to be careers or life long positions.
People would work in them to get some work experience and then get education and move on .

The problem is people ..some with kids..trying to live off these wages.

I don't really feel there should be a minimum wage at all.
This would actually lower unemployment.

I don't think people should be able to abuse employees or promise to pay and then not pay..but if someone ..perhaps a teenager that lives at home wants to work for a certain wage this would give them more opportunity to earn income...More people have disposable income is good for the economy.

I also think rent control is crazy too. You are forcing a private property owner to charge a certain amount.
Where I live in L.A it's a very anti landlord city. The same with San Francisco and New York.
Ironic that these cities have the HIGHEST rents in the country!
Also many wealthy people or very high income earners are actually living in rent controlled apartments in all these cities. So it doesn't necessarily always benefit just low income earners.

When politicians get involved in things they don't understand it doesn't usually turn out good.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Fast food prices going up is good for me. I don't eat fast food very much and the higher price serves as a good deterrent for my family.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Fast food prices going up is good for me. I don't eat fast food very much and the higher price serves as a good deterrent for my family.
Yeah ...even though the minimum wage hasn't gone up drastically yet in L.A

I don't see the value in most fast food.
Recently when I've ordered a "value meal" I feel ripped off.
Nearly $10 for a mediocre barely warm burger, fries that don't taste fresh...and a soda that is mostly ice.
Not a great value really.

Some small chains or independents offer better value ... IN N OUT burger and lot's of small mom and pop places in the L.A area..

There are also a lot of places that offer pickup or delivery via mobile apps so this is often just as convenient or more convenient than sitting in a drive through line for crappy food.

Sometimes I'm surprised there are as many fast food chain places as there are.

I have a KFC by my house ...and I'm not totally anti fast food...but the couple times i've been there I"ve been served food that tastes like it's sitting around...and it's not that cheap either..
These have horrible yelp reviews though.
Some other places in other areas might be better run ..

There are places in L.A I can some real food like a plate with real chicken and sides for less than $7 ..so I see that as a better value.

The politicians that are enacting these new laws won't be hurt ...most of them make a lot of money.
In Los Angeles , the city council members each make over $180,000...I imagine with some very nice benefits on top of that.

They make more than the GOVERNOR of California!
Absurd.

The city government is really backwards.
Same city that allowed thousands of illegal marijuana stores to flourish for years without even getting licensing fees.

Another example of stupidity
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...331-story.html

Why do you need to waste time and vote on a new Ban in people living in their cars. This should of been illegal and enforced for decades.
Time and time I've seen them just let problems get worse and worse until they become almost impossible to manage.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Exactly. These jobs were not traditionally supposed to be careers or life long positions.
People would work in them to get some work experience and then get education and move on .

The problem is people ..some with kids..trying to live off these wages.

I don't really feel there should be a minimum wage at all.
This would actually lower unemployment.

I don't think people should be able to abuse employees or promise to pay and then not pay..but if someone ..perhaps a teenager that lives at home wants to work for a certain wage this would give them more opportunity to earn income...More people have disposable income is good for the economy.
I've walked into various fast food joints throughout 4 different regions. At least half of them were middle aged people working there. It may have been a stepping stone for those in decades past, but times change. Many non-high school and college kids are stuck in FF jobs. Hell, college used to be faaar cheaper, and we used to have a plethora of factory jobs too! You wouldn't tell the new crop of the workforce to seek factory jobs and everything else that's been outsourced would you?

And non MW? Heh... Since no1 values the work FF employees do, I'm sure they'll be making FAAR less. Heck, they'll probably go back to that old system I believe a mining company enacted... they give you "company credit" which can only be used in stores they run, with inflated prices.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
Cities are taking matters into their own hands and not waiting on the federal government to do it for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events