Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
After 9/11 happened, conservative Americans were willing to cede almost any freedom they had to to stop it from happening again. They were MORE than willing to pretty much ignore the civil rights of anyone who was Muslim or looked middle eastern.

Now we have deaths in the hundreds from scores of mass shootings over the years and the response is to not do a damn thing.

I swear, I don't know what all of you are so afraid of when people say that your gun should be licensed and registered like a car. They think it goes from that to gestapo-state in a heartbeat whenever anyone even whispers gun control.

It's particularly fascinating because violent crime in the U.S. is way down - the homicide rate in particular lower almost than it's ever been, so the need to defend yourself with deadly force is pretty low. Much lower than it was, say, in the 1970s.

It would NEVER come to this -- but I own a rifle and would be more than happy to give it up IF I was paid market value for it which would be my main concern. My freedom has nothing - NOTHING - to do with any of the "things" I own. That said, since it'll never go down like that I'll just hold on to it.
Yeah, I think it is just rhetoric out of fear similar to in the X-Men movies and comics Magneto and other mutants fearing that registration acts would actually lead to them being locked away. Magneto had fairly good reason to think that, he survived the Hollocaust after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 PM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
An elaborate alarm system was supposedly in effect at the abandoned SHES.

I grew up in TX, mid 60s, where everyone carried guns openly. Trucks had rifle racks and the rifles were loaded. No one was shot and certainly not at a schoolyard.
Progressive liberal nut jobs - the left - had not spread their filth yet. As liberals spread their filth deeper and deeper American society went to hell. People are mentally insane but it's OK by liberals. They can be rehabilitated and are no danger to society. The fact Hollywood, liberals, continue to pump out films which glorify gunplay and violence is non productive as too many don't know movies from real life. Same for role playing video games which allows for characters running around blasting the hell out of anything which moves.

Funny thing is there are 3 places people don't pull a gun and start shooting others - guns stores, gun shows and gun ranges.
And certainly not in my home.

I agree with you about the movies , but the problem is also latch key or disinterested parents who don't monitor what their children watch or play and as you rightly say kids don't know the difference between reality and movies . In my previous school we had to remind parents that their kids should not be playing call of duty (some as young as 5) as they were choosing to re-enact this in the recess area. I also had a child in my class kept awake by her younger brother of 3 in the night as his dad let him play this game at the age of 3 and it was giving him nightmares so he kept coming in her room yet the mother was adamant it was not her homelife that was affecting her schoolwork. You keep mentioning liberals when people don't agree with guns. Not all people who don't agree with guns believe that those with mental illness can all be re-habilitated.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
I agree with you about police being dead in some areas, the same goes for London and other areas and so they are specially trained and are armed. All police have bullet proof/stab vests. I do agree with you too that it is a cultural thing in the ghettos but believe me in London now there are places where you would not go as they would like to murder or rape you and certainly not just beat you up but again I still would not see it as a reason to arm myself I just would avoid going in there and with some areas again race is involved and as a certain ethnic origin you would avoid that area and that goes on all races not just a black neighbourhood.

Yes I know people die and get murdered by other means including knives but it doesn't mean we all walk round with a knife in our pocket and that is the norm. But I do get where you are coming from when you say you feel threatened and for some that is their daily life and the only way they feel they can survive. I have not been to Detroit or Chicago yet and am due to go to California this week. I know there are places to avoid and I will be, however I will not be taking a weapon with me or buying one.

Mentality is linked to culture and also demographics. As another poster said there is rife violence at soccer games in the Netherlands and sometimes during the European cup but the solution is normally a big water cannon not a firearm. There are pleanty who have died in Europe at soccer violence. A UK fan was innocently killed (and they meant to kill) in Turkey at a match a couple of years ago. But not by gunfire. I think the point I am making is if you are stabbed there is a greater chance you will probably survive, a bullet in the head or elsewhere you are unlikely to survive.I don't know what the answer is, maybe the US has gone beyond there being a solution . It still however does not change my feelings on arming myself unfortunately either here or in Europe.

If you feel this way about yourself, don't preach to us about how we shouldn't be able to exercise our God given inalienable rights. You were born with them as well, don't forget that fact. Free speech is one of those rights.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Her head is made of rubber; facts bounce right off.
wow what a polite person you are.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
why is it funny? where have you lived where they do? I agree even in UK some do for protection in bad areas but not in most of London or the UK and believe me I have friends, family etc all over it and none of them carry a knife and they are not living in the most affluent suburbs and most places in the UK are mixed in terms of demographics
Just as people don't advertise the fact they may CCW in this country your friends aren't advertising they carry a knife. Why tell anyone? It is unproductive to do so.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I have lived in the country, cites and every mix in between. Most people don't carry knives for protection but just for general use. I always have one with me.

If you meant a fighting type of knife then I misunderstood what you meant.

Hijackers used box cutters; if you believe that sort of thing.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Just as people don't advertise the fact they may CCW in this country your friends aren't advertising they carry a knife. Why tell anyone? It is unproductive to do so.
Nope they don't carry any weapons and never would.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
yes but doesn't mean anyone does and most obey the law. Same as I don't understand how the law here says you can own a gun at a young age but you cant drink alcohol until 21! and here there are heavy penalties if you do. More so than on guns !
More people in this country under 21 drink in excess than own guns. They then get behind the wheel of 2 ton weapons which put a gun to shame. You can drive a van through a front wall and into a house and kill people. It happened here last night.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If Obamas focus is on implementing laws about denying citizens owning guns its odd that in 6 years theres been no movement from the government in this direction.
The way i see it is guns are easy to get and there are many people who would use them to solve their mental problems i cant think of any law that would prevent these kinds of mass killings. got any ideas Gunluvver2?,.Your idea of giving guns to school kids for training purposes sounds like something that would cause more school shootings not less,IMO gun safety aint rocket science, if you point a gun at some one and pull the trigger theres a good likelyhood some one might die,end of safety class...
Sex education is taught in our schools all the time without anyone actually showing the students how to do the nasty. Firearms safety could be taught in the classroom just as easily. If the parents of the students approved I would let those students learn hands on firearms safety. Kids are learning all the WRONG ways to handle guns by watching violent TV shows, Movies and Video Games every day. Wouldn't it be better to teach them gun safety in a school over the wrong ways?

Old 07-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
What the public needs to do is start getting gun bans put on ballots. That way people can vote for them regardless of if they are Constitutional or not. If gun bans get enough votes, Congress will know that the public wants to ban guns and they can start working on repealing the 2nd Amendment.
Let's get Joe Friday and Bill Gannon out on the streets to enforce it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events