Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 12:26 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
wow something we agree on, fancy that!

It's not that hard.
I am a conservative American white male raised in the south/southwest and learned life is less kind and gentle than most believe. I am honest and realistic. I will state my opinion in person as I do here.
I am versed in the Constitution and read/refer to it often. What it says is relevant in these days. What we agree on is covered by the 10th amendment.

You were raised in the UK and depending on how long you have been here don't have the same sense of "America!" those of us you have been bantering with here do as it's cultural.
Australia and the US had much in common until they surrendered their guns.
Americans will never do so. We coined the terms "Give me liberty or give me death", "Don't tread on me" as well as "You can have my firearm when you pry it from my cold dead hand".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

1A states congress (federal government) cannot declare a national religion, like the Church of England, nor prevent any from practicing any.
What this does is protect religion from the state and the state from religion.
It also protects the people from having to accept religion.

You only go back 5 years in Mormon history to explain them? Go back to Joseph Smith and continue until today. They had some pretty wild ideas.

What Constitutional rights of children are being repressed? Are you insisting other kids excluding one or more from their activities goes against the Constitution? I suggest you read it word for word and find where that little detail isn't.
The Constitution isn't about tort cases; that is up to individual states.

Some liberal lawyer may try to bring a case against the school board but lol!
No I'm saying even in 5 years things have progressed. In fact up until a year ago apparently you could not drink even downtown on a Sunday which you may do now. Please give the liberal word a rest. It is getting a bit tedious now. As for the children most people would struggle with a child being shunned by others as they are not a member of a religion but apparently depending on where you live that is acceptable i. First I get accused of child abuse now apparently I am too caring and a liberal because I am opposed to segregation. Wow!

Anyway I am done, as I concede you are the expert on everything, guns, the constitution, religion and everyone who doesn't share your view is a liberal. Oh well

Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Quote:
It's not that hard.
I am a conservative American white male raised in the south/southwest and learned life is less kind and gentle than most believe. I am honest and realistic. I will state my opinion in person as I do here.
I am versed in the Constitution and read/refer to it often. What it says is relevant in these days. What we agree on is covered by the 10th amendment.

You were raised in the UK and depending on how long you have been here don't have the same sense of "America!" those of us you have been bantering with here do as it's cultural.
Australia and the US had much in common until they surrendered their guns.
Americans will never do so. We coined the terms "Give me liberty or give me death", "Don't tread on me" as well as "You can have my firearm when you pry it from my cold dead hand".
I agree I do not have the same cultural views in fact we are poles apart and probably with many Americans too depending on where you were raised. I am not conservative far from it hence why I am probably finding Utah a challenge in some ways. As I believe in inclusion and not segregation. I am sociable . Where I come from race relations are way ahead of the US and most believe in accepting people regardless of their race and religion, they also believe in equal rights for all . I was bought up in a multicultural suburb where everyone got along but by no means had life easy growing up. It has not made me bitter I just got on with it and strived to reach my goals even when things were stacked against me.

The US has many things in common with OZ but the UK even more to be honest and is now facing up to the past histories and the injustice that a race suffered. We are both secular and nowhere in OZ like the UK would anyone care what religion you were or even ask. I know because I have lived there and New Zealand . I am under no illusions about real life thanks, having worked in education for years and seen how hard some kids and families have it you wonder how we are in the year 2015 . Some things if I told people they would never believe and my co workers and I still got amazed at how some kids can end up so neglected or see & face things that at a young age they shouldn't so I don't live in fairyland. I am also honest and realistic but look for solutions and to make things better for most be it a child, a friend or anyone else I come into contact with. I have no agenda, I just like to help people and help kids achieve their dreams and learn.

I am a positive person even when sometimes you feel things are going against you. I never belittle others to make myself feel better and I may not know it all and as you say be well versed in all your constitution but I have my heart in the right place, did well in my education against the odds and have bought up two kids to respect all races and religions and not to be insular and closed minded and want to explore this big wide world and find out all about it, not just the UK. They know lots about other countries, religions and cultures and always look to learn more. Yes we have given them this urge but that is also down to being born where they are and having travelled a lot before they came to the US. We have made some very good friends here already even though it is harder to form friendships here because of religion and culture so we must be doing something right.

They have embraced living here after leaving all their family and exceptional friends behind, and my oldest was the only one in her class to get all the 50 states/state capitals in the US right when she had only a week to learn them for a test. As you say we have not lived in the US for long so for her that was a great achievement as those who had grown up here only got 43 right. A lot of the kids are amazed at their knowledge of places but that's because being from the culture we are we share our shores with many other countries and cultures and they are close by we travel alot because of it. London is also a melting pot of people which makes it an exciting and fun place to be around.Not an expert like yourself on the constitution but know alot about the whole region I originally come from and as you say I didn't grow up in this region. I do get surprise from people that we are familiar with differences in language/words and that we have seen so much US TV where we came from and know a reasonable amount about who various people are here. Do I feel I necessarily have more freedom here? no not at all. Do I feel I have free speech? No not all the time as unlike where I have come from my views are not held against me ,and depending on where I am and who I am with I cannot express them freely in the US.

Last edited by Montygirl; 07-27-2015 at 01:47 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
That is reserved for progressive liberals who want to call the shots, correct?
Let them do so and you will be crying about your freedom to do anything. Speech, travel and property will be at their discretion. Let progressives achieve their end game - total control - and see what happens. What happened to the guns?

No one shall be infringed. The creation of sending people to mental institutions is relatively new if held to when the document was written. Liberals have made up all sorts of laws to appease their want for sense of security, no matter how false it may be.

Rather slippery slope, no?

Your 1st amendment rights are no more.
Not slippery at all. Mental illness has been around forever and arguably was more frequent and more severe before medical science advanced to the point where much of its cause was identified and prevented and its treatment advanced. Do you seriously believe Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, et al were of the mindset that the incapacitated in their society should not have their weaponry desires "infringed?"

Old 07-27-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Any less than the 4 at the Embassy in BENGHAZI?
Could you get more irrelevant than something that happened in another country halfway around the world?

Old 07-27-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
He had every legal right to until he turned criminal. We don't jail people for thoughtcrimes yet.
You are wrong. He lost any legal right he had when he was involuntarily committed to a mental institution. Do you have a problem with that?

Old 07-27-2015, 05:55 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Oh I know there are much worse states in the US, but it is ironic that in the land of the free religion can curtail peoples freedom or exert such control via legislation and be allowed to, but in many countries religion in this context is not allowed to be mixed with politics or legislation and give one area of society undue influence. Yes things have come a long way here compared to what it was like even 5 years ago and people are starting to break down barriers but there are still a lot who prevent this from happening and the majority of those are either parents or religious leaders. Depending on who is appointed to be principal at various schools can affect a child's experience. So if a child is excluded by others at school because they do not share that belief, there is no guarantee you could go to the Principal and have it dealt with. Even going above the principal there is no guarentees as those appointed to the education board also could ignore any issues. So then what happens with the rights of that child under the constitution? anyway I will say no more as some may feel I am digressing but I was trying to make a point that sometimes freedom is only allowed here if others allow it to happen. Obviously guns are part of a constitutional right but it seems sometimes inclusion isn't. It also shows that people can start out being ok and yet influences can change that behaviour.
The Constitution protects religion from the state and state from religion. Under the Constitution, LDS has no right to demand that you become Mormon, worship Joseph Smith, or that your children have to attend religious classes or sermons in public schools.

There's however no law that says that certain things can't be regulated on the local level based on majority vote, as long as that doesn't reflect on the protected rights of minorities. After all, local self-government is a long standing tradition that both our countries share.

So if you live in a Mormon state, they can limit the sale of alcohol on Sundays. They are not infringing on any of your Constitutional rights - you have no protected right to get wasted.

I'd say - even without being to Utah - that from the last quarter of XX century on, it probably had fewer religion-driven intrusive laws than, say, Ireland. It's not like Western Europe is completely homogenous in this respect.

As to kids not playing with other kids because of religion - that's unfortunate, but it's parents' choice. You can't legislate forced social interaction.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The Constitution protects religion from the state and state from religion. Under the Constitution, LDS has no right to demand that you become Mormon, worship Joseph Smith, or that your children have to attend religious classes or sermons in public schools.

There's however no law that says that certain things can't be regulated on the local level based on majority vote, as long as that doesn't reflect on the protected rights of minorities. After all, local self-government is a long standing tradition that both our countries share.

So if you live in a Mormon state, they can limit the sale of alcohol on Sundays. They are not infringing on any of your Constitutional rights - you have no protected right to get wasted.

I'd say - even without being to Utah - that from the last quarter of XX century on, it probably had fewer religion-driven intrusive laws than, say, Ireland. It's not like Western Europe is completely homogenous in this respect.

As to kids not playing with other kids because of religion - that's unfortunate, but it's parents' choice. You can't legislate forced social interaction.
That is in disagreement with the entire concept of separation of church and State. If a group of people issue ordinances based upon religious observation, upon others who are not members of said religion....there's a Constitutional issue. Freedom of religion says that you can practice your religion. It does NOT say that you can force your religious views upon others through government ordinances.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The main problem is that those most vocal about control have often made it quite clear that they give **** all about "sensible gun ownership", they just see each added restriction as moving along the path to a complete gun ban, or at least one where we all get to own nothing more high-powered than a .22 rifle.....for "hunting purposes" of course.

I think most gun rights advocates would be a lot more amicable to various restrictions if folks across the aisle weren't constantly talking about banning guns altogether as well as inventing this whole bull**** strawman about the 2nd Amendment referring to hunting or target practice when the words of the people who were responsible for the Constitution clearly indicate otherwise.
Where those that want a ban on guns have gone wrong is being deluded into the belief that banning anything actually gets rid of or reduces the problem.
To those that are gun ban advocates, think of anything that's been banned in the U.S. then look around and see if it's still available.

There's your practical answer to the ban idea...

Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
That is in disagreement with the entire concept of separation of church and State. If a group of people issue ordinances based upon religious observation, upon others who are not members of said religion....there's a Constitutional issue. Freedom of religion says that you can practice your religion. It does NOT say that you can force your religious views upon others through government ordinances.
I don't know if you could bring up closing liquor stores on Sunday as a Constitutional issue, exactly how is it different from forbidding polygamy or public nudity ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events