Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 AM

610 posts, read 699,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why have we not seen this happen in countries with stricter gun laws, better mental healthcare access and better social programs?
Because those countries aren't run by politicians that are bought-and-paid for by a fascist pharmaceutical industry peddling their psychotropic drugs on people for whom talk therapy would be much more appropriate.

And, oh yeah, Anders Brevik.

Your argument sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Not true ... there are European cities which have neighborhoods as bad as anything in Detroit or Baltimore and there are European cities with racial problems. The difference is that, in Europe, the weapon of choice tends to be a blade or a knife because guns are generally too hard to get.

The situation in the USA is far more complex than in Europe from a constitutional, cultural and practical perspective. As a practical matter, the guns are already out there. That genie cannot be put back in the bottle and any attempt at gun control will hit law abiding citizens rather than criminals. Where I live in Arizona, I have to assume that any criminal who breaks into my home is armed and that the police will not be able to respond within 15 mins (which isn't their fault, just reality).

While European cities do have bad hoods, they don't nearly have as many of them, and they seem to police them better (or at least contain them better).

I didn't see the crazies / people who looked like obvious ghetto thugs walking the streets as freely in Paris as they do in NYC.

Either there's fewer of them, or they are made feel not welcome.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
While European cities do have bad hoods, they don't nearly have as many of them, and they seem to police them better (or at least contain them better).

I didn't see the crazies / people who looked like obvious ghetto thugs walking the streets as freely in Paris as they do in NYC.

Either there's fewer of them, or they are made feel not welcome.
Try walking around Naples or some parts of Glasgow Marseille and parts of Paris can also be seriously rough. And don't go anywhere near a football match between Dutch teams Ajax and Feyenoord. On one occasion the violence was so bad that the Dutch police had to use their weapons.

The rate of violent crime in the UK, for example, is double that of the USA. However, it is far less likely to be deadly because of the absence of guns. With the exception of some of our cities, the USA is a pretty safe and peaceful place to live. The problem is that our criminals are often armed and none of the gun control proposals I have heard tell us how they are going to take weapons away from criminals.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If America didn't do anything after a bunch of first graders were murdered by gunfire, they aren't going to do ****. Ever. Might as well accept the fact that mass shootings are now as common as muggings and assaults in this country. They've been happening with ever increasing frequency. Our government is controlled by idiots with money so it will not change.

Seriously, read about the injuries some of those little kids endured and look at the response our country had afterwards. People care more about their guns than they do their fellow Americans. SICK.
I completely agree!

Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
3. There would be limits on the types of firearms allowed for private ownership as well as limits on things like magazine size. However, these regulations would be universal to all 50 states and all 50 states would allow concealed carry, assuming the persons license contained the CCW provision and they had been properly trained.

There you go, common sense gun control.
You want "limits on the types of firearms allowed for private ownership" but not for public ownership? That's crazy. You're creating an imbalance of power between the people and the government, and real mass murders -- with numbers up into the millions -- are always committed by governments.

Yet you have your gun control policies pointed in the other direction. You couldn't be more wrong.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Try walking around Naples or some parts of Glasgow Marseille and parts of Paris can also be seriously rough. And don't go anywhere near a football match between Dutch teams Ajax and Feyenoord. On one occasion the violence was so bad that the Dutch police had to use their weapons.

The rate of violent crime in the UK, for example, is double that of the USA. However, it is far less likely to be deadly because of the absence of guns. With the exception of some of our cities, the USA is a pretty safe and peaceful place to live. The problem is that our criminals are often armed and none of the gun control proposals I have heard tell us how they are going to take weapons away from criminals.
They hope that if they disarm the law abiding people now, then maybe 20-30 years down the road the vast stockpiles of guns and ammo that the criminals have on hands today would be depleted, and there won't be a thriving illegal gun trade across our so well protected borders.

BTW I read that they are talking about a ban on the knives with sharp points in the UK, since "no law abiding citizen needs one".

Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You want "limits on the types of firearms allowed for private ownership" but not for public ownership? That's crazy. You're creating an imbalance of power between the people and the government, and real mass murders -- with numbers up into the millions -- are always committed by governments.

Yet you have your gun control policies pointed in the other direction. You couldn't be more wrong.
yeah! if the US Gov't can have nukes I want one too, can't tolerate that imbalance of power

Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Here's the thing, though... back in the XIX / early XX century, before UK instituted their first gun control measures, the murder rates in the UK were still much lower than in the US. With equal access to guns.

US is simply a more violent society due to the unique historic reasons.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:49 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
In 40 years of law enforcement, I must have seen every method possible in taking a life, whether it be homicide or suicide. In fact, I responded to two incidents where, in both cases, 25 people were murdered and not a single shot fired. If you want to take a human life, there are numerous ways of doing so. Cain slew Abel and I don't believe he used an AK-47 to do it.

I saw a movie where only the military and police had firearms. It was called Schindler's List.
, Schindlers list comment, how ignorant! That was the Nazis not just your every day police officer or army . That was brainwashing to the max and even if most Jews had a gun it would have made no difference to their survival as it was an ideology. A lot were gassed and starved as well as shot.To compare genocide to harden your argument just shows how dumb you are, because of this do you now see all jews and others affected carrying a gun, no I don't think so! They humbly rebuilt their communities and didn't arm themselves go on the rampage with a gun shooting all Germans because of it.

Our police are not armed where I come from and those that are(special firearms/terrorist squad) most don't go around on some power trip shooting everyone like your argument above. They sometimes take a while to respond to calls depending on where you live but do we feel the need to arm ourselves to the max NO! One of unarmed soldiers was beheaded outside a barracks when he was off duty by a terrorist, do we then all pick up a gun and have it at home as justification for a weapon No! and none in our nation are calling for this or to have a weapon at home, so sorry but it is definitely a culture thing here and the USA obsession with having one because its their right. meanwhile the mass violence worsens and continues and more innocent lives get lost. Be interesting to see the figures for people killed/injured by accident by some trigger happy person exercising their constitutional right! Bit like the teacher who was sacked here for playing with her weapon at school in a restroom whilst sat on the toilet, which then went off and shot her in the leg and put a bullet through a door. Luckily no kids were in there at the time as obviously the safety catch was not on and she was just fooling around for fun! But hey at least she was excercising her constitutional right so that makes it ok then doesn't it!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The new restrictions will make it ever harder for law abiding citizens to get guns. In the end we'd be like Washington DC, with murder rate on the level of Somalia and no legal gun ownership except for the politicians and their security detail.
So that makes the victims of guys like Houser just necessary collateral damage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events